Soda package question

gergles

I saw the soda package is $7.50 a day ($6.50 + 15% grat) -- is this worth it?

How much do you get charged for a soda outside of the package, and what do they bring you? If you get a 'restaurant sized' fountain soda for an average restaurant price, it seems like it would be cheaper to just get the drinks separately; but if it's a $3 can, then the package quickly becomes a better value. Are there any free drinks on the ship other than water? Some people mentioned flavored waters and iced tea - are those free everywhere or just in the MDRs?

Also, does the package cover if you order room service and have a drink? (I know it doesn't include the minibar, but I'll be in a studio which doesn't have a minibar, so...) Does it include juices? I saw some newsletters posted that implied it doesn't (by posting a $2/day upcharge for juice) but the description on the website doesn't mention that being an option at all; it just says pepsi products and tonic and club soda).

I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but couldn't find anything addressing this stuff recently. Thanks in advance.

How much do you get charged for a soda outside of the package, and what do they bring you? If you get a 'restaurant sized' fountain soda for an average restaurant price, it seems like it would be cheaper to just get the drinks separately; but if it's a $3 can, then the package quickly becomes a better value. Are there any free drinks on the ship other than water? Some people mentioned flavored waters and iced tea - are those free everywhere or just in the MDRs?

Also, does the package cover if you order room service and have a drink? (I know it doesn't include the minibar, but I'll be in a studio which doesn't have a minibar, so...) Does it include juices? I saw some newsletters posted that implied it doesn't (by posting a $2/day upcharge for juice) but the description on the website doesn't mention that being an option at all; it just says pepsi products and tonic and club soda).

I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but couldn't find anything addressing this stuff recently. Thanks in advance.

I am not a big soda drinker, so I don't remember the pricing.

The studio has a common lounge area. On the EPIC (and possibly on other new ships) there is also a vending machine that dispenses bottles of pop (billed to your room, I don't know the cost). The complementary staff in the lounge include a nice cappuccino machine, and orange juice during the morning.

The free stuff (ice tea, flavored water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix etc.) are in the buffet and dining rooms.

I don't think that it makes any difference how the sodas are served if you order them without the package to whether the package is worth it or not - only if you think that you'll drink more than three sodas a day, you are probably better off with the package. We don't usually drink enough plain sodas and never have bought the package but we also bring 12-pack(s) with us to have in our cabin - this is harder in a studio without the fridge.

Regular soda onboard is $2.25 + 15% IIRC. What you get depends on the bar, server, etc. I try to remember to order "a can of ..." in order to get the whole can because in some places they do give only a "fountain" soda (poured from large bottle, already opened can or from a fountain) in a glass that holds max half to 2/3 of a can.

About $2.50 per glass of soda. You rarely get a can of soda. Pretty much everything is fountain and comes in an 8 oz glass. If you are a soda drinker it takes 3 per day to start coming out ahead.

Juice drinks are available in the morning in the buffet and MDR. "Real" OJ is $2.50 per glass. Flavored water and iced tea is normally available in the buffet for free.

If you purchase a can it comes out to about $2.75 a can but you get a whole can!

On the soda card you get a glass, so you need to keep refilling at least 3 times a day.

Not all sodas are included on the soda card, Ginger Beer being one of them.

The free drinks are all in the Buffet juices in the morning and flavored waters in the afternoons. Iced Tea, coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate are always available up there as well.

You can always bring your own refillable bottle (do not fill directly from the spigot USE A CLEAN GLASS!) to have with you and you can keep one in the fridge as well.

We will likely be staying in an OK/OX room.. are there refrigerators in there? If not, how easy is it to get ice? I'm assuming there is an ice machine on each floor?

You should always state the ship also. ;) From your older posts I saw that you are going to cruise on Star - not that it has specifically anything to do with the answer as pretty much all NCL ships have mini bars in cabins.

So: You will have a mini bar in the room, if you are not planning on buying any of it's contents, you can ask the room steward to empty it so you can use it for your own goods - it is not fridge per se so it will keep cold things cool but it takes ages for it to cool something down.

There is an ice bucket in every cabin too and if you need a lot of ice, I've heard that the room stewards can bring you a whole cooler that they keep stocked with ice.

No ice machines, you need to ask your cabin steward for ice if you run out - they do service the cabin twice a day so we have not needed extra ice for the few drinks we have in the cabin.

We will likely be staying in an OK/OX room.. are there refrigerators in there? If not, how easy is it to get ice? I'm assuming there is an ice machine on each floor?

No ice machines. Your cabin steward will fill the ice bucket in the morning and in the evening. If you require more, just ask.

I'd be interested in the soda package, but unlike the other cruise line I've been on, it doesn't seem to include bottled water, which is a show stopper for me. Don't really understand that.

I'd be interested in the soda package, but unlike the other cruise line I've been on, it doesn't seem to include bottled water, which is a show stopper for me. Don't really understand that.

NCL sells a 1 liter bottle of Aquafina for about $4. Those nickels and dimes add up in the accounting department.

NCL sells a 1 liter bottle of Aquafina for about $4. Those nickels and dimes add up in the accounting department.

Buying bottled water onboard is not mandatory for your being on the ship so this is another great example of something that is not nickel and diming. As you are very well aware, if you are unhappy with the water prices, you are welcome to bring your own - we do.

Buying bottled water onboard is not mandatory for your being on the ship so this is another great example of something that is not nickel and diming. As you are very well aware, if you are unhappy with the water prices, you are welcome to bring your own - we do.

Have to disagree. That is exactly what nickel and diming is. You pay for the bare bones cruise and if you want to 'upgrade' you pay for it. In this case, it seems other cruise lines include water, but NCL chooses to add yet another layer of nickel and diming by excluding bottled water in their soda package.

Have to disagree. That is exactly what nickel and diming is. You pay for the bare bones cruise and if you want to 'upgrade' you pay for it. In this case, it seems other cruise lines include water, but NCL chooses to add yet another layer of nickel and diming by excluding bottled water in their soda package.

Let us know which ships (of comparable cost) provide free bottled water? We've not had that experience yet.

Let us know which ships (of comparable cost) provide free bottled water? We've not had that experience yet.

Try to keep up with the conversation. We are discussing bottled water included in the beverage/soda package. NCL does not. They charge another nickel or dime on top of the nickel or dime you pay for the beverage/soda package.

DH and I will likely purchase the Corks and Caps Wine and Beer Package for each of us on our sailing. I am looking at what to purchase for our children. It appears that the Unlimited Fountain Soda only includes soda pop. Normally it is a WONDERFUL thing that my children don't even like soda pop but this poses a problem.

Can anyone confirm if there is a soda fountain lemonade in this selection? Minute Maid? Hi-C? They just don't like carbonation. :rolleyes: If not, would I be able to bring 60 juice boxes on board in my luggage? I don't want to 'smuggle' but I don't want them to get dehydrated either.

Thanks!

DH and I will likely purchase the Corks and Caps Wine and Beer Package for each of us on our sailing. I am looking at what to purchase for our children. It appears that the Unlimited Fountain Soda only includes soda pop. Normally it is a WONDERFUL thing that my children don't even like soda pop but this poses a problem.

Can anyone confirm if there is a soda fountain lemonade in this selection? Minute Maid? Hi-C? They just don't like carbonation. :rolleyes: If not, would I be able to bring 60 juice boxes on board in my luggage? I don't want to 'smuggle' but I don't want them to get dehydrated either.

First of all, since you'll purchase alcohol package for adults, you must purchase soda package for minors - that is mandatory and there are no other options available.

Secondly, all sodas are served from the bars, there are no passenger accessible soda stations like on some other cruise lines. Some kind of lemonade, iced tea and flavoured waters are usually available for free at the buffet drink stations, one can probably also ask for them in the restaurants.

You are free to bring any non-alcoholic beverages onboard in unopened containers so bring all the juice boxes (or even Minute Maid cans etc) you want. :)

Edited by Demonyte

First of all, since you'll purchase alcohol package for adults, you must purchase soda package for minors - that is mandatory and there are no other options available.

I knew everyone over 21 needed to do the alcohol package so that makes sense that they kids would be required to do the beverage package too. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Secondly, all sodas are served from the bars, there are no passenger accessible soda stations like on some other cruise lines. Some kind of lemonade, iced tea and flavoured waters are usually available for free at the buffet drink stations, one can probably also ask for them in the restaurants.

That helps also. I was picturing a drink station like the resorts at WDW with refillable cups.

If we are buying the package, and if there are non-carbonated options, I guess we will see how much room is left in the suitcases. :)

Thanks!

If we are buying the package, and if there are non-carbonated options, I guess we will see how much room is left in the suitcases. :)

No need to bust the suitcases. You can buy a case or box of anything, slap a luggage tag on it, and they'll deliver it to your room. Personally, I'd be kind and not buy anything that came in glass bottles... but everything else non-alcoholic is not a problem traveling openly.

No need to bust the suitcases. You can buy a case or box of anything, slap a luggage tag on it, and they'll deliver it to your room. Personally, I'd be kind and not buy anything that came in glass bottles... but everything else non-alcoholic is not a problem traveling openly.

That's great to know - thanks! Definitely won't bring glass (what good comes in glass anyway - besides beer and wine ;) ). I could bring a package of juice boxes from Sam's Club...although I will have to find them in port before we leave since we will be flying to get to port. We will likely come a few days early and rent a car for a bit, so that probably wouldn't be too big of a problem.