Planning for the cruise is fun, right?

clinthi

Other than Cruise Critic, Carnival's website, and maybe YouTube -- what other sites do you often use when researching and planning your cruise vacations?

Google Earth You can zoom right down to the ports and see exactly what it's like even reefs under the water, well the actual view isn't under water, but you can see the reefs from the surface. Also people post photos on the locations. Just this weekend I spent the blizzard on Google Earth and was delighted to see when I zoomed in on the port of Miami that my ship is docked there in the photo!.

It really does help when you are looking for a beach or attraction to give perspective on how close or far it is.

I use Google......go right to the various tourism sites for each port.....see what's offered, pricing etc. Then I go to TripAdvisor and check out the tour guides/companies from the port's tourism sites. This is in addition to checking "Ports of Call" section on CC and getting ideas.

We mainly book our own tours and have really had some stupendous independent tours for a fraction of the cost of the ship's tours (even in the Med, Alaska etc)....and each and every one of them included much much more in the way of sight seeing, stopping etc as they can be customized to suit your own needs.

Along with what has been posted, ill add zydeco cruisers site, my favorite part is he has all the menus on there, along with ship pictures. One of my favorite pastimes is looking at the menus deciding what I will eat :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I like to check out the cruise ship webcams and also the port webcams, especially early Saturday or Sunday mornings as they are coming back in all lit up, or between 4-6pm local time to watch them sail away. I think I'm obsessed. :D

I google and research everything!!!!

If I am unfamiliar with the ship and rooms, I use cruise deck plans. I check to see which balconies can open up. I check this site for hotels as well as the direct hotel site. I go to tripadvisor for reviews on everything. If I am flying I use several sites to check prices and then usually book direct with airline.

I google the ports to pull up aerial views. I always check if there is a hard rock at any ports (DH collects the t shirts).

I check the cruise it for how many ships in port.

I spend normally months researching everything about what to see. I read tour reviews on the carnival site for excursions. Most of the time we use private or DIY, but occasionally will use a ships tour for ruins far away.

I check Facebook for the restaurants and beach clubs I may want to go to.

I use google maps to see the port and find out where we're parking, the webcams just because they are fun, Tripadvisor for the ports and the ship, Facebook to read what Heald is up to, zydecocruiser to look at menus and food pictures, and probably 10 other sites for various things.

I really like reading the CC ship reviews by passengers, you get all kinds of responses!!!

Back in the day you could actually get hard copy city vacation guides, but now I will download those off the PC. I like to have maps and on the upcoming Hawaii, there is a CD and DVD guide with maps that show one of our possible tour routes with all the stops. I like to try to get as much local info as I can get my hands on. To be honest, this upcoming trip has been the most challenging because there is so much to see and do. I really have to pinpoint our interests and be careful not to snorkel everywhere and miss all the history and natural wonders. Panama was easy, because you know exactly where you will be when you get there (at Gatun). Some destinations can create a huge amount of anxiety because you don't want to make the wrong choices for a possible once in a lifetime vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I usually google every new port. Try to find outside excursions that I can pre-arrange. I remember 10 years ago I was checking books out if the library instead if using the Internet. ;the info might have been there then, I just wasn't using it...) times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to check out the cruise ship webcams and also the port webcams, especially early Saturday or Sunday mornings as they are coming back in all lit up, or between 4-6pm local time to watch them sail away. I think I'm obsessed. :D

im with ya on this one!! its my weekend ritual... everyone knows to leave me alone around 1pm PST... shoot.. i even pull up the webcams at work.... its so neat to see all the ships move and set sail.. means i am one week closer to mine!!!

Pinterest..I also use it to keep track of things as I plan. .I pin it all

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

what do you search for on pinterest?? locations or things to do/see??

i am a pinterest newbie and quite havent figured it out yet.. lol

• Tripadvisor - I book tours directly rather than the ship so I research each port and what there is to do there.
  • Cruisett - you can determine what ships will be in port with you and how many other passengers
  • cruisedeckplans - to research cabins and find out which cabins are best (bigger cabin or balcony) and which ones to avoid due to noise, etc.
  • I google the cabin number I have booked or am looking to book and search for reviews and photos
  • I create a Word document that I use to paste hints and tips that I find for the ship or ports into. Then right before the cruise I will organize them and print it out.
  • I also look for webcams for the ports to see the ships in port or see their sailaways. There is a great one for Port Canaveral that even has an archive section where you can watch videos of past sailaways.
  • I look at the forums on Carnival.com for information

what do you search for on pinterest?? locations or things to do/see??

i am a pinterest newbie and quite havent figured it out yet.. lol

Its not so much that I search on Pinterest-- I search via any browser for any keywords that interest me with regards to the cruise or cruise planning and then as I find stuff I "Pin it" to a board specific to the vacation I am planning...

Its basically my visual bookmarks

So if I read about something on the forums or follow a link from somewhere and it seems like something I may want later I PIN IT

you are welcome to look me up on there just search for my the name that is in my signature

Edited by J2tyco

Other than Cruise Critic, Carnival's website, and maybe YouTube -- what other sites do you often use when researching and planning your cruise vacations?

Typically, right after we've paid our deposit, I start checking the airline web sites (specifically American and Delta) to try to find the best prices available to book our flights.