What to wear to the chef's table?

I would say smart casual. :). Collared shirt and slacks for men, the equivalent for women. The only instructions we had were no open toe shoes for safety and they suggested no heels. You are walking around the galley over drains and on slippery surfaces.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Anything you'd wear to the dining room in appropriate. Lol well I'll say for most people. I wore a gold and white dress semi dressy dh wore wore dress pant and shirt no tie and fit in with most of the guys. Most women had on dress (short not formal) but the men were in suits or dress shirts and and pants. Maybe one polo but I don't remember anyone in jeans.:)

either would be fine.....have a good time

Ian

Good! What about shoes?? I don't have any closed toe shoes that would look good with any of my dresses. I looked today and ended up buying another pair of peep toe, this pair are black wedges. I would like to wear either them or a another pair of wedge shoes, but they aren't closed toe either. In fact, they are open in the toe. Think that will be a problem? At least they are low.

Good! What about shoes?? I don't have any closed toe shoes that would look good with any of my dresses. I looked today and ended up buying another pair of peep toe, this pair are black wedges. I would like to wear either them or a another pair of wedge shoes, but they aren't closed toe either. In fact, they are open in the toe. Think that will be a problem? At least they are low.

You will be fine - with either. IMO....wedges would be better than heels - at least for the galley tour. ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

From all that I have heard they MUST be closed toe shoes. Will they turn you away? That will depend on the ship & also the chef. Some are over the top with rules & then on the next ship they will let some things slide.

Just take closed toes & don't take a chance.

Just sitting in the DR when they come threw on the way to the galley most are dressed nice.

Just had chef's table a few hours ago, it was fabulous. When greeting our group for the first time chef Erwin looked all our feet over, the first thing he said "Good evening and thank you all for wearing proper safe shoes for my galley". We were told to wear closed toed shoes in our confirmation letter along with time and instructions where to meet. I don't know if they'd refuse anyone but it would be courteous to abide for this very special treat.

How about just a pair of ballerina type flats?? Safety and following the rules is probably more important that fashion. Would hate to have you turned away because of a peep toe. ;)

Sounds like it more of an issue from recently sailings than when we did it. :o

Edited by happy cruzin

Just had chef's table a few hours ago, it was fabulous. When greeting our group for the first time chef Erwin looked all our feet over, the first thing he said "Good evening and thank you all for wearing proper safe shoes for my galley". We were told to wear closed toed shoes in our confirmation letter along with time and instructions where to meet. I don't know if they'd refuse anyone but it would be courteous to abide for this very special treat.

I just looked again and my email doesn't say anything about what type of shoes to wear. It just says date and time will be announced onboard.

I just looked again and my email doesn't say anything about what type of shoes to wear. It just says date and time will be announced onboard.

This is my problem as well. I don't know if they tell you about footwear when you book on the ship, but they don't tell you in your email confirmation. When I cruise, I have flip flops and open toe shoes.

Now that we're going to do our 2nd chefs table on carnival I know to pack ballet flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my problem as well. I don't know if they tell you about footwear when you book on the ship, but they don't tell you in your email confirmation. When I cruise, I have flip flops and open toe shoes.

Now that we're going to do our 2nd chefs table on carnival I know to pack ballet flats.

They did not tell us about the footwear when we booked on board but it was very clear in the formal confirmation letter that we received with the details which was delivered the night before our dinner. Note that there is a cancellation fee if you cancel less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled dinner.

FWIW, this was my first Chef's Table, it certainly won't be my last.

They did not tell us about the footwear when we booked on board but it was very clear in the formal confirmation letter that we received with the details which was delivered the night before our dinner. Note that there is a cancellation fee if you cancel less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled dinner.

FWIW, this was my first Chef's Table, it certainly won't be my last.

They should tell you when you book though especially if they're checking footwear now. Our first Chefs Table I only had tennis shoes that were closed toe and I wore a dress to dinner. Thankfully they let me and the other women do the galley tour.

I know it's for safety and I totally agree with it, but just make sure it's known in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about just a pair of ballerina type flats?? Safety and following the rules is probably more important that fashion. Would hate to have you turned away because of a peep toe. ;)

Sounds like it more of an issue from recently sailings than when we did it. :o

I can't wear them. Due to a past issue with plantar fasciitis, my podiatrist has instructed me to never wear flat shoes so I don't own any. I have no idea what to bring. I really don't want to buy shoes to wear one time. I'm a teacher and stand all day, but i do it in wedges or heels. The only shoes I have that don't have an open or peep toe are boots and tennis shoes.

Wear whatever you please, but be prepared if you're denied in the galley. I wore flats, but the other three ladies in our group wore heels.

But being denied in the galley could be a real issue - if that's where the dinner is! :eek:

I know some are in held in the galley and some are in the library, dance club, etc. Looks like OP is going on the Freedom - anyone know where the dinner is held on the Freedom?? :confused:

I can't wear them. Due to a past issue with plantar fasciitis, my podiatrist has instructed me to never wear flat shoes so I don't own any. I have no idea what to bring. I really don't want to buy shoes to wear one time. I'm a teacher and stand all day, but i do it in wedges or heels. The only shoes I have that don't have an open or peep toe are boots and tennis shoes.

I understand your position. That being said - I see that you have three choices:

1. buy close toed shoes - even if you wear them only once

2. wear your peep toes and hope for the best

3. choose the tennis shoes and forget about fashion.