Thomson = Extra, Other Lines = Included

Which added extra annoys you the most?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which added extra annoys you the most?

• Use of a safe.
    • Pre-book your cabin.
    • Extra for steak.
    • Room service in your cabin.
    • Excess baggage (as appose to larger allowances from other lines)
    • VIP seats in the theatre.
    • Cakes/muffins in coffee lounges/bars.
    • OTHER...

Thought I'd do another poll. A thing that crops up a lot is the added extras that Thomson charge that others don't, but out of them, which annoys you the most and would rather see included? I know that if it was included, it would probably just be added onto the price already, but anyway. :D

I've added the ones I can think of, but if anyone else has any ideas, I've put an 'other' on the poll, so click that one and mention below which one.

I went for pre-book your cabin. What annoys me the most is the fact that with most other cruise lines, you get to book your exact cabin for free when you make your booking. Plus, you can do it online, see all the cabins, which are available, which are taken etc. To have to pay for it, then ring up over the phone and give a list of cabin numbers you like I think is daft and a dated way of doing it.

I have voted for paying for the safe. I don't know of any other line that charges and I think they are playing on people's insecurities. I agree though that it would probably be added on anyway :rolleyes:

I think paying to book a cabin is probably just the same as getting a guaranteed cabin on other lines. You can book a grade of cabin and they allocate you with one or you can pay more and chose.

Don't like steak, so don't care about that :rolleyes::D

I think they should have free room service for morning tea, if nothing else, if they can't provide kettles :p

They should include all these extras in the price. The safes must have been paid off a long time ago. I would rather have those kind of things built into the cost at the outset. The same with choosing a cabin, build in an admin cost, and reserve the cabin online as with other companies. It is annoying having to ring and try to sort out the cabin.

Sweby

To be honest they all annoy me, but I voted for paying extra for steak. If there is one sure thing that will make me look elsewhere it is if the food isn't up to scratch. Right now I am looking elsewhere.

I agree Eleanor. Shame on Thomson for putting surcharges on.

I've gone for the steak too - not that I'm too bothered about having steaks but until I'm convinced of an about-turn on the economies we detected with food in the MDR, the standard and quality of food is my current biggest concern. So charging for things we used to get without an additional cost is a development I don't like.

Had I not been a bit sensitive about food at the moment I would have voted for safes as you may be over a barrel re your travel insurance if you don't keep valuables in a safesafe one is available so Thomson cash in on your need to comply with insurers' small print.

Edited by kruzseeka

I voted for the safe because if I have had to pay for one in a hotel it has been a nominal charge of less than €5 per week and in a 2/3 T hotel/apartment.

Other cruise companies have extra pay restaurants but I would expect to have steak on the menu in the MDR. I think Majesty had it twice in the week.

I am prepared to pay for booking a cabin but it is getting expensive to book for one week. If staying in a hotel you can only request a room not guarantee one. I booked my last 3 cruises after the TA had checked what cabins were available.

At least they haven't started to charge for using a separate part of the ship yet!

Thought I'd do another poll. A thing that crops up a lot is the added extras that Thomson charge that others don't, but out of them, which annoys you the most and would rather see included? I know that if it was included, it would probably just be added onto the price already, but anyway. :D

I've added the ones I can think of, but if anyone else has any ideas, I've put an 'other' on the poll, so click that one and mention below which one.

Totally agree with pre-booking cabin then when you get on board they gave me a different cabin .Also paying for water I think that's bad that should be free sure there is plenty more. :cool:

Sweby got it right ..We should not have to pay extra for any of the above .

Thomson fob us off with they give us a choice :mad:

More like penny pinching ..cut the standard of food you used to get as normal and then charge you extra for it

should you want to upgrade back to that standard or cut of meat :confused:

No wonder peeps are now looking to other cruise companies :(

I voted for the safe by the way ..but cabins were a close second :(.

I'm going for VIP seats because that just flabbergasts me I really don't know who had the nerve to suggest this.:(

As for paying for the cabin this can work in your favour. If you get a late deal you can still book your cabin and not be stuck with the dross.

More like penny pinching ..cut the standard of food you used to get as normal and then charge you extra for it

should you want to upgrade back to that standard or cut of meat :confused:

I looked back at the menus they gave us at the end of our P&O cruise (yes! they give you a copy of all the meals you've been served in the mdr - nothing to feel embarrassed about there then?? And certainly no sur-charges :rolleyes: ) and honestly it brought me up short when I compared it to our last Thomson experience! :(

As for paying for the cabin this can work in your favour. If you get a late deal you can still book your cabin and not be stuck with the dross.

Good point Happy V.

We booked our last cruise late with P&O and ended up right at the front of the ship, very rough seas too:eek:

Voted for the safe.

Whilst I don't like the idea of VIP theatre seats I have not encountered them yet which is why I clicked other. The other in question is having to pay extra to sit next to your wife/husband/parner on the plane. I may pay the charge but it is a rip-off. I paid extra for a steak on the Majesty in September. I didn't mind that because I was clearly getting something extra as it was an American size steak not the piddly sized rubbish you find in many British restaurants.

I'm going for VIP seats because that just flabbergasts me I really don't know who had the nerve to suggest this.:(

Not with Thomsons Happy V ... We booked a late one and they said we could chose which decks but not book a cabin as we had booked

with less than 15 days to go. We ended up right at the back of the ship all by one cabin :(.

In future any last minute booking for us would be before day 16 in future ;).

Not with Thomsons Happy V ... We booked a late one and they said we could chose which decks but not book a cabin as we had booked

with less than 15 days to go. We ended up right at the back of the ship all by one cabin :(.

In future any last minute booking for us would be before day 16 in future ;).

Yes, I already know that rule. I've said it before but you really do need a degree in "holiday booking" :rolleyes::)

Whilst I don't like the idea of VIP theatre seats I have not encountered them yet which is why I clicked other. The other in question is having to pay extra to sit next to your wife/husband/parner on the plane. I may pay the charge but it is a rip-off. I paid extra for a steak on the Majesty in September. I didn't mind that because I was clearly getting something extra as it was an American size steak not the piddly sized rubbish you find in many British restaurants.

I had the steak a couple of nights on the Dream and it is more the piddly size than the American size.

I want to pick paying extra for a decent meal as the normal meals don't come up to scratch. So steak, but as said they are a little be piddly to what you'd expect. If I'm aloud another choice:p its paying for the cabin grade and then having to pay to pick cabin number. On most cruise ships you pick your grade of cabin and then the number all in one price?

Edited by 100cruises

I put cabin costs then changed to safe and back and forth and left it with safe. We haven't pre booked our cabin on any of the three cruises we have done, but paid for a safe on the last 2.

I don't like paying for seats together in the plane. I said I wouldn't do it again and take pot luck, but we do want to be together on the long flight.

We booked our 19th Jan 14 Caribbean cruise in Jan 13, and did not book a specific cabin. What we got was last but one cabin on deck 7. It was actually quite a good cabin, and my OH said he wouldn't mind it again, apart from walking the length of the ship on a night when a bit tiddly. It was handy for sitting outside on the back deck though, and we didn't have any unwanted noises either.

Edited by gillhalfpint