Cruise travel tips & secrets

My tip: once you print out luggage tags, take them to Staples and have them laminated... They include a rubber tie on that won't rip or come off.. Cost me less than 2.00 and it's so nice to feel confident all your luggage will make it to the proper room !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know! Those paper tags they have us print out are so flimsy. I have used tape in the past to bulk up those tags, but for $2 it will be worth it to have Staples take care of it, and no more worrying about luggage tags falling off. Thank you!

Lorie

Good to know! Those paper tags they have us print out are so flimsy. I have used tape in the past to bulk up those tags, but for $2 it will be worth it to have Staples take care of it, and no more worrying about luggage tags falling off. Thank you!

Lorie

I use clear packing tape and "laminate" them myself. Probably doesn't turn out as nice real laminating, but if you are short on time, this is a DIY way to get it done. I have never had issues with my tags falling off using this method.

• 2 weeks later...
You can bring packaged food off but no fruits or veggies. I have never had a problem bringing food back on board nut most of the time it is packaged anyway.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can bring food back on the ship (Carnival). My husband loves trying different local cuisine and we have brought back bar-b-que, etc back on the ship. Correct about no fruit and veggies being taken off. Also, no candles of any type are allowed on the ships. Stores from ports use to give them free with purchases.

A few things I add to our day backpack for excursions is hand cleaner (1.5 oz), suntan lotion (3 oz- Walmart), plastic water bottle filled from ship water dispenser, and a roll up hat (can buy on ship for $10- looks like small umbrella when rolled up). Husband wears caps.

BTW - disabled vets get free parking at airports!

... and best of all are the Cruise Critic luggage tags - check them out at the CC Store.l

I second that! We purchased 4 for our recent cruise. The RCI tags fit in nicely, and they were very durable. Well worth the price.

• 4 weeks later...

I fill up a smaller suitcase and pack it nested in a larger one. When I get to the port city the morning of the cruise (Carnival), we walk to a gas station or grocery store and I purchase one 12-pack soda for each of us and one bottle of wine for my spouse and I, and we fill up the suitcase that we nested the smaller one in. We bring it on board as a rolling carry on and don't have to lug the drinks in our arms.

We buy the 12 packs that open on one end, so we can pack them in the top shelf of the closet in the cabin. They take up little room and the sodas are easy to pull out from the end (the tear off portion).

We bring insulated drink mugs, and fill up with soda and ice and take to the MDR with us for dinner. We also get vanilla soft serve in cups and add root beer.

We avoid expensive excursions by researching the best beaches and snorkeling, and taking taxis or the public bus from the ports.

We take an empty water bottle to the airport and fill it up with water fountain so we don't have to buy a bottled water.

I know some of these things sound cheap but they make a difference in the long run.

We also don't do the chef's table, coffee bar, spa, or really any other premium cost activity. We try to just enjoy everything offered with the cruise fare.

My husband and I often try to get a nice 8x10 photo of us on a cruise...

but they put it in a flimsy light weight bendable folder...SOOOOOOO

I bring a nice thick piece of 8/10 cardboard to carry our photo home safely in...

Seems silly...but it makes is so much easier to transport in my bag

without damaging...the photo

and costs nothing...

Bernadette

I fill up a smaller suitcase and pack it nested in a larger one. When I get to the port city the morning of the cruise (Carnival), we walk to a gas station or grocery store and I purchase one 12-pack soda for each of us and one bottle of wine for my spouse and I, and we fill up the suitcase that we nested the smaller one in. We bring it on board as a rolling carry on and don't have to lug the drinks in our arms.

We buy the 12 packs that open on one end, so we can pack them in the top shelf of the closet in the cabin. They take up little room and the sodas are easy to pull out from the end (the tear off portion).

We bring insulated drink mugs, and fill up with soda and ice and take to the MDR with us for dinner. We also get vanilla soft serve in cups and add root beer.

We avoid expensive excursions by researching the best beaches and snorkeling, and taking taxis or the public bus from the ports.

We take an empty water bottle to the airport and fill it up with water fountain so we don't have to buy a bottled water.

I know some of these things sound cheap but they make a difference in the long run.

We also don't do the chef's table, coffee bar, spa, or really any other premium cost activity. We try to just enjoy everything offered with the cruise fare.

I love these ideas! They don't sound cheap at all - they sounds smart! I am going to get some root beer for my upcoming trip! Love that idea!

LOVE the Rootbeer to make rootbeer floats idea. Why haven't I thought of that?

Carnival cruisers: Love banana splits? In the MDR, banana splits are on the children's menu! :p

I am a bit - ok, a lot :rolleyes: - obsessive/compulsive and cannot stand clutter in the cabin. Throwing our non-hanging clothing onto the shelves in the closet makes me cringe. Dollar General to the rescue. I've purchased several of the fabric "drawers." They cost less than $5 each for the larger square/cube ones and @ $3 for the rectangular ones, weigh practically nothing, and fold completely flat. When we get our luggage in the cabin, I open our "drawers" and put things away. The smaller rectangular ones are great for corraling bedside items, too.

We've also started leaving things on hangers when we pack. Makes unpacking a breeze. When shopping, I ask to keep the store hangers and put the black ones away for cruising. Even the Hubs likes this one. :o

• 2 months later...
depending on how long the cruise or the trip is I prepare a 'medicine cabinet'

it can include

- bite gel

- insect repellent

- aspirins

- pain patch or some kind of icy hot (for muscles)

- band aids

- Imodium

- sea sick pills

- laundry sheets

- tweezers

- cork screw

- crown repair kit (very small but have had to use it - nothing like having a crown come off in a foreign country and trying to get it fixed)

- eyeglass screwdriver and a couple small screws (paper clips will also work in a pinch)

- toothache gel

- tiger balm

- sun burn relief

- sun screen

- mole skin (you can get precut shapes and it sure helps if you get a blister)

- blister block

you get the idea - you can buy small 1 or 2 oz of most of these things

all of these fit into a small cube (I pack in cubes & envelopes) always mixing our stuff. I have saved both us and fellow travelers

adjust how much you bring for the length of your cruise

safe travels, happy cruising

Patrice

All good ideas! Thanks!

I've used Krazy glue to replace front fillings that have fallen out. You want the brush on Krazy glue. ( And don't put your tongue near it while it dries). Mouth moisture is no problem. It's also good for sealing cleaned out long ( not wide ) cuts.

We are planning to go on our first cruise ship as a family. I have a question regarding ground transportation. My last cruise was over 11 years ago, so a bit rusty. We plan to book separately, air travel and cruise.

My question:

Which would be more cost effective, using the airport MCO to Port Canaveral via taxi shuttle or the one's endorsed by the cruise line themselves? It is a family of 5.

TIA!

Don't buy a wrinkle release product, your paying for water and smell nice. . SAVE YOUR MONEY ! Pack a regular spray bottle, when in room... Add water and spray your items wrinkles ... and watch the wrinkles go away. First item in our suit case !

Agree! You can buy a bottle with mister in Walmart near the irons. It packs very light. We tried it last trip. If all else fails, mist the wrinkles a little heavy and then blow dry it.

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to go on our first cruise ship as a family. I have a question regarding ground transportation. My last cruise was over 11 years ago, so a bit rusty. We plan to book separately, air travel and cruise.

My question:

Which would be more cost effective, using the airport MCO to Port Canaveral via taxi shuttle or the one's endorsed by the cruise line themselves? It is a family of 5.

TIA!

Most people would advise you to rent a full-size car that you can drop off at Cocoa Beach. It's much cheaper for 5 than paying $25-40/person each way with a private shuttle or on the cruise bus. Pricing for a rental for the day varies in Orlando but you should be able to find one for less than $60. Try Hertz, Avis or Budget.

I realise that this post was almost a year ago but I feel that a reply is deserved to point out the other side of things.

so here is what I realize I do to save money :

I don't get my mani or pedis on the ship.....I can get them at home prior to boarding!

My cousin was employed by a particular cruise line (it will not be named) as a beautician in the on-board spa/health room. As part of her employment she only got paid when passengers paid for a beauty treatment. The rest of the time, while the travel and meals were paid for by the company, she earned no money, not even a share of the tips (HSC). Naturally, she didn't receive the full amount of the beauty treatment. From memory, she received 50% of the cost.

When she was first employed the cruise line indicated that she would make lots of money and see the world with up to a dozen treatments each day (depending on the treatment). Her season saw her employed on a cruise ship which sailed around the Scandinavian area and was predominantly retirees. As a result she performed, on average, 7 treatments a week.

To say that she was extremely disappointed was an understatement and she refused another season with the company. I do not know if all cruise lines provide the same conditions and certainly on some other ships she may well have made a lot of money.

In short, without passengers paying for these extra services some of the employees on the ship might be making absolutely nothing for that day, week or even cruise. Please do not be too harsh on those passengers who do pay for the spa treatments, cooking lessons etc; they are likely to be giving someone else an income.

Providing room & board for someone to do 7 treatments a week doesn't sound like a profitable endeavor for the cruise line, either.

On a past cruise I befriended a homesick Spa "girl" and learned that the spa employees are generally NOT employed by the cruise company. Rather, nearly all work for the same company that is completely separate from the cruise line.

On a past cruise I befriended a homesick Spa "girl" and learned that the spa employees are generally NOT employed by the cruise company. Rather, nearly all work for the same company that is completely separate from the cruise line.

The same for the gym workers, they work for the company that manages the spa

They share their %15 tip with other spa / gym workers, but anything given to them about that is their own. I know this because I have worked out with a trainer on my 5 cruises.

So keep that in mind when you sign up for a free "Rumba " or other class, they make nothing, you may want to tip them a bit

I realise that this post was almost a year ago but I feel that a reply is deserved to point out the other side of things...........

We take long cruises, and I would LOVE to get pedis, etc on a cruise. But my experance has NOT been good. I happened to get the same person on two different ships, and all she did was insult me and my feet, and then complained about the U.S. not letting her get of in St, Thomas, as if this was my fault:p. Then she pushed the products soooooo hard, that I would NEVER buy just on principle, and I was once a top seller in direct sales! You don't have to do that.

So the spa needs to police it self, I was afraid to report her, as I didn't know what she might do. :eek:

The salons have been mediocre in there ability, to do basic things, but hay, when your on a 49 day cruise, you take what you can get:D. I still love to cruis,but as you said there are two sides.

I always cruise with two foam rubber 'noodles' for floating in the ocean. They weigh next to nothing, and fit nicely around the edges of our suitcase or duffel bag, also providing some cushioning.

I could sell dozens of noodles to other passengers once they see mine--and I tell them not to forget to bring their own next time they cruise!

We travel with a four inch flashlight called a black light (ultraviolet). I inspect every room for bugs and cleanliness. All you do is turn off the lights, turn on your flashlight, look around and be surprised. I look very closely at mattresses where bedbugs thrive. we also use a solution of chlorine and water (store bought) and spray every thing I can think of. We are not nuts. I just don't like getting sick and spoiling our trip. Happy travels.

• 1 month later...

Only a couple of items have stuck with me as must haves for cruises,

1) A net bag for dirty Laundry, recently read an idea to bring a fabric softener sheet to absorb dirty laundry smell.

2) a highlighter, I like to highlight the compass for things I don't want to miss the next day.

One thing my husband and I did when is came to clothing for cruise was we packed loungewear for sea days (basketball shorts for him and fitted stretch shorts, capris & pants for me and tshirts) and "good clothes" for ports which consisted of shorts, tank tops, cover ups and other thin fabric tops which worked perfect for me cause i tend to over pack. LoL. And rolling them saves alot of space, when it comes to shoes especially heels I bring a pair that matches everything and I did the same thing for my flip flops/sandals and canvas shoes. We didnt eat dinner every night because we were long overdue for a vacation, it was our honeymoon and we wanted to be lazy 😉 but i did remembered reading that this one lady like mixed her tops when it came to dinner like she'd wear one top with a cover up one night and another night she'd wear the top by itself or the cover up with another top and she said that helped with casual dinner wear because she'd put it on for dinner and take off right after. Of course you'd have to be extra careful not to spill anything on your clothes...our favorite tip is bringing your own tumbler with you and we bought those big bubba things on clearance from walmart ($5) and we're never cruising without them now.