Cruise travel tips & secrets

Only a couple of items have stuck with me as must haves for cruises,

1) A net bag for dirty Laundry, recently read an idea to bring a fabric softener sheet to absorb dirty laundry smell.

2) a highlighter, I like to highlight the compass for things I don't want to miss the next day.

Dryer sheet is a good idea. I use a pop up hamper for dirties and then bag it up for the trip home. I usually have a separate piece of luggage for them ( we fly SW so no fees!):D

depending on how long the cruise or the trip is I prepare a 'medicine cabinet'

it can include

- bite gel

- insect repellent

- aspirins

- pain patch or some kind of icy hot (for muscles)

- band aids

- Imodium

- sea sick pills

- laundry sheets

- tweezers

- cork screw

- crown repair kit (very small but have had to use it - nothing like having a crown come off in a foreign country and trying to get it fixed)

- eyeglass screwdriver and a couple small screws (paper clips will also work in a pinch)

- toothache gel

- tiger balm

- sun burn relief

- sun screen

- mole skin (you can get precut shapes and it sure helps if you get a blister)

- blister block

you get the idea - you can buy small 1 or 2 oz of most of these things

all of these fit into a small cube (I pack in cubes & envelopes) always mixing our stuff. I have saved both us and fellow travelers

adjust how much you bring for the length of your cruise

safe travels, happy cruising

Patrice

I have a Medicine Bag I never travel without it as it's always packed and ready to go. I use a small cosmetic bag and fill it with band aids, the free medicine packets you some times get (also ask your Dr. if they have any small free samples of pain relief gel or creams) and keep all in one place just for your travel needs. You can use the small tins from Altoids to put any medicines you can't find in smaller sizes (works great for pills). Just be sure if you use anything that you replace when you get home so you're ready for the next time.

• Like 1

I have a Medicine Bag I never travel without it as it's always packed and ready to go. I use a small cosmetic bag and fill it with band aids, the free medicine packets you some times get (also ask your Dr. if they have any small free samples of pain relief gel or creams) and keep all in one place just for your travel needs. You can use the small tins from Altoids to put any medicines you can't find in smaller sizes (works great for pills). Just be sure if you use anything that you replace when you get home so you're ready for the next time.

Great idea with the Altoids tins! Thanks! It's got me thinking of what else I can use them for. Especially the mini ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Zip-lock bags. I use them for EVERYTHING. Found this tip YEARS ago here and they are my must have. I use one to keep travel-size OTC meds for everything from a cut to a cold. Nothing worse than needing to go to your medicine cabinet and be on a ship in the middle of the night. I use BIG Zip locks for clean clothes, then they get packed wit dirty clothes as the trip goes on, and I'm ready and packed for the trip home. Snack-sized for jewelry. They're always easy to see what's inside and super handy. If we get something like the strawberries or cupcakes sent to our cabin by C&A, we use one of the big zip locks and put it in the fridge. We always carry extras.

If you're taking food back to you cabin on a plate, may l suggest covering the plate and food with a fresh freebie shower cap

Sandy in Spain

They sell these covers in the grocery store....I think Glad makes them. We usually take a small box so that we can cover food, snacks for freshness in cabin.

They sell these covers in the grocery store....I think Glad makes them. We usually take a small box so that we can cover food, snacks for freshness in cabin.

I love those things!! That's a damn good idea!! Thank you for that tip!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great tips here . I go back and forth between wanting to "bring it all" and realizing that who cares if you have to buy a few things or easily go without . Our last cruise was uncharacteristically cold . We didn't pack enough cold weather gear . So we spend a few bucks on windbreakers and pull-overs . In the end and these are excellent souvenirs of our trip . On the other hand you don't want to spend $12 on a small tube of a sunscreen brand you've never heard of . ;)

One tip that hasn't been mentioned (I think) is self debarkation . If you can physically handle it , do it ! We have had 2 incidents of misplaced luggage when not doing this . You get to keep your stuff in your own cabin until you are ready to leave . So much easier . It is also an incentive to pack light . :)

• 1 month later...
Lots of great tips here . I go back and forth between wanting to "bring it all" and realizing that who cares if you have to buy a few things or easily go without . Our last cruise was uncharacteristically cold . We didn't pack enough cold weather gear . So we spend a few bucks on windbreakers and pull-overs . In the end and these are excellent souvenirs of our trip . On the other hand you don't want to spend $12 on a small tube of a sunscreen brand you've never heard of . ;)

One tip that hasn't been mentioned (I think) is self debarkation . If you can physically handle it , do it ! We have had 2 incidents of misplaced luggage when not doing this . You get to keep your stuff in your own cabin until you are ready to leave . So much easier . It is also an incentive to pack light . :)

yes taking your stuff off yourself is so easy and fast! love it

• 2 weeks later...
Since this is a money-saving thread, here are my thoughts.

Look for souvenirs and experiences in unusual places. Grocery stores are a wonderful way to get a sense of how people live day-to-day. And you may find genuine, inexpensive souvenirs there. Pharmacies, fabric stores, and hardware stores are also really interesting.

Local buses are a great way to see how people really live and also get from place to place yourself for much less money. Do your research beforehand (Trip Advisor is great for this) to ensure it's safe and easy. Then just ride along with the locals. So far I've taken local buses in Antigua, Dominican Republic, St Vincent and Santorini and they all turned out well, were very inexpensive, and were among the most memorable travel experiences I've ever had.

Walmart in Ketchikan use to have a great selection of souvenirs. Catch the city bus, North and it's the last stop. We got lucky last time and caught the crew van back to the ship. Hilarious trip.

Okay.. I am obsessive compulsive when packing for a cruise. Over the years, although I STILL over pack, I have gotten my weeks STUFF down to a garment bag, a suiter, 1 carryon (unless the hubby wants SHOES or we decide to bring snorkel gear, then sometimes 2 carryons) and two backpacks.

So...the issue I always have is SHAMPOO, when flying. So, I use ziplocks. Shampoo all over the place, busting out of the ziplock... next time... TWO ziplocks. Shampoo still explodes in the plane, but confined to second ziplock.

This time... my FOODSAVER!!!!!! EUREKA! Put the ziplock in the foodsaver & suck out the air. Now THAT is packing for a cruise.:D

Edited by spiritkat090909

Okay.. I am obsessive compulsive when packing for a cruise. Over the years, although I STILL over pack, I have gotten my weeks STUFF down to a garment bag, a suiter, 1 carryon (unless the hubby wants SHOES or we decide to bring snorkel gear, then sometimes 2 carryons) and two backpacks.

So...the issue I always have is SHAMPOO, when flying. So, I use ziplocks. Shampoo all over the place, busting out of the ziplock... next time... TWO ziplocks. Shampoo still explodes in the plane, but confined to second ziplock.

This time... my FOODSAVER!!!!!! EUREKA! Put the ziplock in the foodsaver & suck out the air. Now THAT is packing for a cruise.:D

How do you get it home after the cruise? I had a container leak during my flight after the cruise. It stayed sealed on the flight TO the cruise.

• 6 months later...

In visiting these boards and other sources for tips prior to first cruise I've seen so many ideas, so starting keeping a tote bag for possible things to take. Been tossing things in as I read what sounds like great ideas at the time -- magnets, hooks, clothes pins, mini-sewing kit, highlighter, flashlight, small umbrella, etc. So far the tote bag weighs several pounds! Yep, think some items may not be included in my luggage. But I REALLY DO APPRECIATE all the ideas. Thank you all for sharing.

My own idea is to take a couple of scented perfume sample cards from magazines (sealed in ziplock baggie of course) to use as "air freshener" in bathroom or dirty clothes hamper -- free, light, disposable.

• 2 weeks later...
I always cruise with two foam rubber 'noodles' for floating in the ocean. They weigh next to nothing, and fit nicely around the edges of our suitcase or duffel bag, also providing some cushioning.

I could sell dozens of noodles to other passengers once they see mine--and I tell them not to forget to bring their own next time they cruise!

Read a hint to pack $1 store rafts. Don't take up much space at all. Beats paying $15 each to rent a raft at some beaches

• 1 month later...
I have a few that aren't on this list yet:

1. Sham-wows - great for drying off after a dip in the water but lets you keep your towel from getting soaking wet. We also roll our bathing suits in them after we rinse them out - they dry very quickly this way.

2. Contact lens cases - when I get a new case the old one goes in the travel drawer. They are great for a few pills or small pairs of earrings. Also handy for keeping your toiletries under control if you are trying to fly with only carry-ons - I put hair styling products and facial lotions in them - the wells are usually large enough to hold several days' supply.

3. "use it one more time" - when I have a toothbrush or disposable razor that is just about ready to throw out I toss it in the travel drawer. Then I can use those for trips and toss them at the end.

We have yoga towels from Louloulemon that we took on our last Caribbean cruise - they pack small and dry quickly but are full size towels - much better than taking the bulky ship towels when off ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums