OCD Planner's NAVIGATOR Post Dry Dock Pictorial Review

ace1zoe2

We're in an owners suite and I wonder if we'll get a nice couch/ottoman like that!! It looks comfy.

As for Med cruises. We did one a few years back (and are planning for Baltics right now). It's really not that complicated....I would never let trip planning deter me from experiencing something new and wonderful. We spent 9 days in Rome before our Med cruise and it was amazing.

I like Rick Steves because his books are really simple to read and navigate and he now has cruise port books. I am using that to help me plan for our Baltics cruise.

I'm an OCD planner, but last summer I let go of that for a month in Europe and it was a great feeling. I had a list of places that were "must sees" and tried to see them and then just let travel happen for the rest of the time. Nothing like people watching from a cafe eating some strudel :)

Cindy - thank you, thank you for all the great pictures.

I noticed a hot tub in the fitness center and another picture had signs for men's & womens' changing rooms for the sauna/steam room.

I didn't realize there were sauna/steam rooms on the ship. Are these open to everyone or are they "pay" items? We were on the Magic and loved their various fancy steam rooms, but you had to pay quite a bit to use them and there was no free steam room.

Also, you've probably already thought about this, but if you are touring the Vatican with a group, be sure to hire a private guide! Best money we ever spent - zoomed past a (literally) mile long line, right to the front!

I noticed a hot tub in the fitness center and another picture had signs for men's & womens' changing rooms for the sauna/steam room.

I didn't realize there were sauna/steam rooms on the ship. Are these open to everyone or are they "pay" items? We were on the Magic and loved their various fancy steam rooms, but you had to pay quite a bit to use them and there was no free steam room.

Also, you've probably already thought about this, but if you are touring the Vatican with a group, be sure to hire a private guide! Best money we ever spent - zoomed past a (literally) mile long line, right to the front!

The steam room on the Navigator is free to use. It is not like the larger ones on the Magic. Just a basic steam room

Thanks for taking time to read my report and "see" the new Navigator!

I believe that the steam rooms are free on NOS... if that information is incorrect, someone will definitely call me out!

Yes, in Rome we are planning to do a guided tour. Have plans for the first tour of the morning before the masses arrive. Now I just have to stake out the website and be ready to book when the dates become available!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There was an earlier post here saying that they were enforcing the drink packages. I'm actually glad they are watching them somehow, because I don't want them to decide they are losing money and cancel them.

I wonder though - part of the idea of the drink package, at least for me, is that I can try a drink, and if I don't like it, get a different one.

So - has anyone had any experience with how often they let you go back for another drink?

What was the new disco like since it moved from the Dungeon (which I hated the layout)? Did I miss those pictures?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

I believe the disco is now located in the Cosmopolitan Lounger which was previously known as the Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 14.

There are pictures if that venue posted earlier in the review.

We have not been to Barcelona before. Our ship actually has an overnight there the last night. We've planned to do Montserrat on our own on Wednesday then back to the ship. Thursday we will debark, check in our apartment which is near Sagrada and just do some sightseeing. Friday we are planning to tour Sagrada with pre purchased tickets.

We started as 2 couples to celebrate our friends anniversary & it has now morphed to 16 of us! We will be looking for a place to do an all-inclusive tapas/wine dinner on Friday evening as a group before we all travel home. We have people coming from Texas, Indiana & Alabama (all related by marriage or family friends). If you know of some place that wouldn't be too awfully expensive, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Also if there are any other must-eat places let me know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cindy,

We were a party of 8, all family on our trip in 2009. I went back to see what places I could recall/find.

While you already have a place to stay, we stayed at the Hotel Regencia Colon near the Barcelona Cathedral in the El Barri Gotic (old town) section of Barcelona. There was a Tapas Bar nearby that we ate at twice. Bilbao-Berria http://www.bilbaoberria.com/es/home and they had tables upstairs (1st visit) and also downstairs that was more accommodating for a large group (2nd visit). It still gets excellent ratings on Trip Advisor. You pay by the "stick" from each item. The area around the Cathedral is beautiful and I would highly recommend visiting this neighborhood.

We also did the Barcelona version of a Hop On Hop Off tour bus but I don't recall if that is how we got to La Sagrada Familia (excellent). La Rambla is also worth seeing even if a little touristy. Not sure how it will be in the fall compared to June.

Our cruise covered 1 sea day, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, Nice/Monaco and Marseilles. It was an exhausting week but for us one of those once-in-a-lifetime adventures. Would go back to Florence and Nice/Monaco in a second. One downside for Americans is the meal times on the cruise was pushed back one hour for each seating. We had chose 2nd due to our side trips so eating was very late.

The dollar to euro exchange rate is about the same now as then. Food can get expensive so be careful. Some of the restaurants near the Vatican were $$$$ and it would be worth it to go a few blocks in any direction to avoid the tourist places.

Cindy,

We were a party of 8, all family on our trip in 2009. I went back to see what places I could recall/find.

While you already have a place to stay, we stayed at the Hotel Regencia Colon near the Barcelona Cathedral in the El Barri Gotic (old town) section of Barcelona. There was a Tapas Bar nearby that we ate at twice. Bilbao-Berria http://www.bilbaoberria.com/es/home and they had tables upstairs (1st visit) and also downstairs that was more accommodating for a large group (2nd visit). It still gets excellent ratings on Trip Advisor. You pay by the "stick" from each item. The area around the Cathedral is beautiful and I would highly recommend visiting this neighborhood.

We also did the Barcelona version of a Hop On Hop Off tour bus but I don't recall if that is how we got to La Sagrada Familia (excellent). La Rambla is also worth seeing even if a little touristy. Not sure how it will be in the fall compared to June.

Our cruise covered 1 sea day, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, Nice/Monaco and Marseilles. It was an exhausting week but for us one of those once-in-a-lifetime adventures. Would go back to Florence and Nice/Monaco in a second. One downside for Americans is the meal times on the cruise was pushed back one hour for each seating. We had chose 2nd due to our side trips so eating was very late.

The dollar to euro exchange rate is about the same now as then. Food can get expensive so be careful. Some of the restaurants near the Vatican were $$$$ and it would be worth it to go a few blocks in any direction to avoid the tourist places.

Thanks so much for all the great information! I'm taking notes from all you veteran Euro cruisers :)

So, remember way back when... when I mentioned I got to make an unexpected visit to the Medical Facility onboard?

Well, here's the story:

We were out on the balcony enjoying the evening with our friends. I got up to go inside the cabin and scraped my foot on the frame of the balcony door. It was very sharp, almost like a knife lying on it's side if you will. I cut the ends of 3 of my toes and sliced a fold of skin about the size of a quarter back on the ball of my foot.

Here's hubby cleaning up the mess and doctoring me for the night.

The next morning we mentioned it to our cabin attendant when he stopped by the room. He immediately got his supervisor who insisted that I go to medical and fill out an incident report.

Shortly therafter the maintenance supervisor came by and then a maintenance man came and ground down the sharp edge.

So, now we have pics of the medical facility. You can go there to weigh, get free sea sick meds or for the low, low price of only 2 US quarters buy just about any kinds of over the counter remedy you may need!

The doctor was wonderful. She said I did a very good job at getting a good clean cut and fixed me right up. The cleaned, medicated & bandaged my toes and foot. Then she gave me 12 antibiotic tablets to take over the next 4 days and a tetanus shot, which I needed... it had been a long time.

And no... I didn't ask for a free cruise, a discounted cruise, a next cruise certificate, a free specialty dinner or even a drink... things happen. They took great care of me at no charge and that was all that I expected them to do.

P2060219_zps3b1b5648.jpg

IMG_0592_zps550a3e62.jpg

IMG_0593_zps54bac395.jpg

IMG_0594_zps3af225d3.jpg

These were taken with hubby's cell phone so forgive the poor quality.

cindy2_zpsee217a57.jpg

cindy_zps04375250.jpg

If you plan on touring the Coliseum do the Upper & Lower tour. It's worth the extra cost and the groups are small, which is very nice.

Yes! We also have that planned. I've read a lot of reviews to get ideas. I definitely think it will be worth the minimal price difference.

Yay! Not that I thought he wouldn't be, but so glad to know Phil is there! The guy we had on Nav out of NO was horrible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hello! We are sailing on NOS in March. I was wondering if you would just tell me about Phil? What makes you love him? I LOVE the Schooner Bar! Especially if lots of fun people there. We had a guy named Patrice once on the Liberty of the Seas and he was the best I ever had..lol! Just curious about Phil. Thank you!

Cindy, Thank you so much for taking the time to help us with this. Yes they really do need to update the pictures. I would just feel better seeing the cabin in real time, just to be certain. I'm not as worried, since it is a Jr suite, surely we can make it work considering it sleeps 5. We are excited about our first JR Suite. Believe it or not there were no accessibe cabins available for Oct, so they upgraded us to a JR suite. Said that was their policy. I had no idea. I have to admit I'm a little worried their going to come back and say they made a mistake, and take it away.LOL I hope not we are really excited. Thanks again.

Sorry to hijack the thread about the accessible cabins... but this post has me curious... We have been booking any available accessible cabin for our cruises... my mom need the rails in the bathroom, raised toilet, and roll in shower (has difficulty walking). You said your previous accessible cabin on the Oasis was not sufficient... can you let me know the problems. We have an accessible cabin on Oasis and I'm just hoping these cabins are as described in the 'book'.

Good to know they upgraded you to a JS... that wouldn't work for us because JS only have a bathtub... no walk in shower.

What ever info you can give me about the Oasis accessible cabins will help.

Again... sorry to post this here... I wish we had a way to private message questions so far off topic.

Cindy - why no prices on the Izumi menu? I had heard that it was a pay per item menu. Is it not?

Also love the info about the cheap meds in the Med Facility. Boy, do they keep that quiet.

And glad to hear that the steam room is free. May just be a plain old steam room, but I don't have to pay $25 a day for it, like on the Magic. Yay!

Cindy - why no prices on the Izumi menu? I had heard that it was a pay per item menu. Is it not?

Also love the info about the cheap meds in the Med Facility. Boy, do they keep that quiet.

And glad to hear that the steam room is free. May just be a plain old steam room, but I don't have to pay $25 a day for it, like on the Magic. Yay!

Yes, Izumi is a la carte pricing. These pictures are from the electronic screens, not the actual menus. The edamame & miso soup are free. The sushi rolls were in the $5-$12 range. I think the stones at night are $14-$18.

You might check out Becci Boo's review she may have pics of the actual menus.

Yes, I was amazed that the meds were so cheap. If you by them in the onboard shops you have to buy a travel pack or larger & they are at resort pricing!

Edited by ace1zoe2