Considering 28 day Cruise to Tahiti, Hawaii, Samoan islands - questions

Coral

We were on the 28 day Tahiti/Hawaii trip last March. The seas were very calm and the weather was really nice. We enjoy sea days & spent almost every one on the sun deck sunning and talking to people.

We did an excursion with CC people on Moorea which we really enjoyed and also some excursions from Princess.

We would definitely do this cruise again!

We are sad that Princess doesn't have this cruise listed in 2015.

We were on this itinerary on the Sapphire in the Fall of 2012 and it was great.

Be sure to participate in the Shellback ceremony for the equator crossing, it is a hoot (google it). On our cruise the ceremony was held on the return crossing and of course some people complained but who cares!

Our highlight was the visit to Pago Pago. We are college football fans and are alumni of the University of Southern California (DW is a rabid fan). It was Fall so we felt it was important to support "our team" by wearing the colors of cardinal and gold (of course with the university's name and logos all over). It turns out that cardinal and gold are the Polynesian colors of royalty and, Samoans are very proud of their exports, primarily New Zealand rugby and American football players.

During a visit to a village our clothing was noted by very large men. We were instantly part of the family. Turns out almost every Samoan is related to some famous athlete and they all knew of our university. I was presented with a lava-lava which is a traditional wraparound garment (worn like a skirt) worn by the men.

When a 350 pound Samoan man who can run faster than the wind presents you with a skirt, what do you do? You wear it proudly!

I was on this cruise the first time it was offered.

I understand what the OP said about the flight cost to Tahiti. But I still would never recommend this cruise to anyone who has not been to Hawaii or Tahiti before. I really believe believe you really need to spend time there. One day per island and over night in Tahiti is not enough time. (My wife and I have been to Hawaii before. I had spent time in Tahiti and American Samoa on a land trips. My wife had never been past Hawaii.)

That being said I can say we enjoyed the cruise ..... mostly. The big negative is the nine straight sea back to LA. We enjoy sea days. However after about 7 of them in a row we were getting cabin fever. This is the only cruise I have taken where we were looking forward to disembarkation.

The cruise demographics was on the older side..... way older. I would say the average age was well past 80. I don't mean this to be negative just a fact. The oldest we met was 105. He had two gentlemen looking after him. They were in their 80's.

On the positive side some of the sail aways sand sail ins and out are to do die for! That is especially true of Bora Bora and Moorea. Also the sailing from Moorea to Tahiti at sunset is really nice. . I really liked America Samoa. I was there in the early 70's and almost stayed there. I had the same thoughts on this cruise.. jumping ship and becoming a beachcomber!!!! But wife wouldn't let me.

I would strongly recommend hooking up with members of your roll call and arranging private tours. Or renting a car ... especially in Hawaii. We took Princess excursions in the Samoas. They were OK but private tours and renting cars were way better

I am glad we did this cruise. I don't think I would do it again. I think, for me, I would prefer land trips to this part of the world.

Edited by dfields1814

This cruise is a snorkeling lover's paradise. I went on snorkeling excursions at Molokini, Moorea, and Bora Bora as well as on my own in Hilo. My husband's favorite port was Apia because he went to an absolutely stunning beach there, though he didn't try snorkeling as he was with our toddler that day.

We are going on the April 1st cruise (LA-Tahiti-LA) and love beaches and snorkeling. Can you give me the name of the beach that your husband went to from the port of Apia. It's always nice to get a personal recommendation. How close to the port was it and how did he get there?

You need to get out of Papette to enjoy Tahiti. One of the best shore excursions we ever had was to the interior of the island. You can see pictures of it by going to http://fp.caribill.com/ and clicking on the "Tahiti" photo.

(You can also see pictures of Papeete by clicking on the "Papeete" photo. There are some interesting sights there.)

When I read you response on this thread, well, I then spent the next 2 hours watching the slideshows from you link! :D

However, after about 5 minutes I stopped and ask the wife if she wanted to see the most fantastic photos and she said yes! Then we started all over and enjoyed "our trip" to the south seas and Tahiti. We simply couldn't get enough of the sites that you so thoughtfully provided! :)

Aloha and mahalo ;)

When I read you response on this thread, well, I then spent the next 2 hours watching the slideshows from you link! :D

However, after about 5 minutes I stopped and ask the wife if she wanted to see the most fantastic photos and she said yes! Then we started all over and enjoyed "our trip" to the south seas and Tahiti. We simply couldn't get enough of the sites that you so thoughtfully provided! :)

Aloha and mahalo ;)

Thanks for the compliment.

It was a great trip, so great photos were easy to take.

We are going on the April 1st cruise (LA-Tahiti-LA) and love beaches and snorkeling. Can you give me the name of the beach that your husband went to from the port of Apia. It's always nice to get a personal recommendation. How close to the port was it and how did he get there?

I wish I could tell you the name of it, but he doesn't know. He paid a cab driver about $65 for the day total, and for that it included admission to the beach (usually in the neighborhood of $5 per person/day in Samoa, from what I've heard) as well as the drive to and from and several hours at the beach. The driver also bought my husband and daughter fresh coconuts to drink. (He hates coconut, but didn't want to seem ungrateful so drank the whole thing :o) There was a nice fale for them to lounge in and they were literally the only ones on the beach. He said it took a little over an hour each way to get there out of Apia.

I wish I could tell you the name of it, but he doesn't know. He paid a cab driver about $65 for the day total, and for that it included admission to the beach (usually in the neighborhood of $5 per person/day in Samoa, from what I've heard) as well as the drive to and from and several hours at the beach. The driver also bought my husband and daughter fresh coconuts to drink. (He hates coconut, but didn't want to seem ungrateful so drank the whole thing :o) There was a nice fale for them to lounge in and they were literally the only ones on the beach. He said it took a little over an hour each way to get there out of Apia.

Thank you for your response….guess I will have to do more searches on beaches. What a nice husband drinking all that coconut water rather than refusing it.

I am considering the cruise on April 1st on the Golden.

I have yet to go to Hawaii, Tahiti or Pago Pago. I doubt I would ever pay to fly to Tahiti due to the high cost of hotels, food and airfare.

For those who have done this cruise - is it worth it? Did you feel like you saw enough of Tahiti and Hawaii? Would you recommend it? If you have done it and did not enjoy it, I am curious as to why.

Were the sea days too much? For the most part - I enjoy sea days but have never had this many. I am perfectly content with finding a deck chair in the shade and reading. I probably should look and see who the CD is supposed to be. I usually don't depend on them for entertainment but have never had that many.

How are the seas usually during this transit?

I wasn't specifically looking at this trip and came across it this week and the price is quite reasonable considering I only have to pay for air to LAX. I need to make a decision fairly quickly though.

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

Have not done but would love to it sounds great. Seas can be rough for a couple of days.

I am considering the cruise on April 1st on the Golden.

I have yet to go to Hawaii, Tahiti or Pago Pago. I doubt I would ever pay to fly to Tahiti due to the high cost of hotels, food and airfare.

For those who have done this cruise - is it worth it? Did you feel like you saw enough of Tahiti and Hawaii? Would you recommend it? If you have done it and did not enjoy it, I am curious as to why.

Were the sea days too much? For the most part - I enjoy sea days but have never had this many. I am perfectly content with finding a deck chair in the shade and reading. I probably should look and see who the CD is supposed to be. I usually don't depend on them for entertainment but have never had that many.

How are the seas usually during this transit?

I wasn't specifically looking at this trip and came across it this week and the price is quite reasonable considering I only have to pay for air to LAX. I need to make a decision fairly quickly though.

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

I can't help but remember one former member of CC's 28-day cruise, and how disappointed she was with the 8 sea days back to LA from Tahiti and lack of planned activities. She used to post here frequently but never did post again after that particular cruise:confused:

Truthfully, it sounds like a lot of travel to get to the islands by sea. I am a semi-frequent traveler to Hawaii, and I think it would be best enjoyed by a land trip of perhaps two islands over 10-12 days or 3 islands over 15 days. Hawaii is great, and I always feel so sorry for the day trippers from the cruise ships when I'm in Maui, since I know they aren't getting much time there

Hawaii is clean and beautiful and sans starving animals, for the most part. They have a lot of strays in some limited areas, but the Humane society works diligently with the residents to spay and neuter the pets and to do catch and release

Edited by 4cats4me

I can't help but remember one former member of CC's 28-day cruise, and how disappointed she was with the 8 sea days back to LA from Tahiti and lack of planned activities. She used to post here frequently but never did post again after that particular cruise:confused:

Truthfully, it sounds like a lot of travel to get to the islands by sea. I am a semi-frequent traveler to Hawaii, and I think it would be best enjoyed by a land trip of perhaps two islands over 10-12 days or 3 islands over 15 days. Hawaii is great, and I always feel so sorry for the day trippers from the cruise ships when I'm in Maui, since I know they aren't getting much time there

Hawaii is clean and beautiful and sans starving animals, for the most part. They have a lot of strays in some limited areas, but the Humane society works diligently with the residents to spay and neuter the pets and to do catch and release

I do remember Toto's comments and considered emailing her.

I have decided against the cruise for many reasons posted on this thread. I actually don't think I will ever get to Tahiti but the thought I could potentially see it with out flying was attractive. The more I looked into shore excursions and the 2 days in Papette, the short time in Hawaii, I think I would be disappointed in the cruise. I am looking for a "relaxing trip" - usually I like to "go go go" but not at this time. Not sure where I will be going but I have pretty much ruled out this trip.

I appreciate all the comments. It helped me quite a bit go through steps in mind in making a decision.

Edited by Coral