aft cabins

Are they worth the extra money, I know the balconies are usually wider?

What makes them a good choice.

Thanks

They cost no more than the same category anywhere else on the ship. If you see one available and the price is right for you then take it quick. If you don't it may not be there the next time you look!

You will have a long walk to your room so on the plus your burn off more calories. The balcony is what makes this room the best. See the photos from an aft on Mariner.

P3020855.jpg.5cd0e8ebc1acd83a5c51f5961d10942d.jpg

P3020856.jpg.2757bc3867ad47c2e94f465ff5a86c83.jpg

P3020858.jpg.0cbc34e466bd40a609a782f8723fb4ae.jpg

Are they worth the extra money, I know the balconies are usually wider?

What makes them a good choice.

Thanks

Aft balconies are the same price as any other balcony room. Sometimes the room is a little bigger than other balcony rooms. The balcony is WORTH it to us AND at no extra cost! :D Most times you do have to book early to have the best choice!

We have had both regular and aft balconies. The aft ones are so much nicer! (There are a few ships that have had trouble with ash on the aft balconies.) :mad: We personally have never had any trouble on our balconies. Others that have had the same room number have reported problems before or after us? :confused:

They are as wide as the cabin, as usual, but DEEPER than those on the side of the ship. It depends what you use your balcony for....sitting and reading, there would be plenty of space on any balcony. If you want to entertain, then the larger balcony is great.

On many ships, it's an extremely long, aggravating walk to and from the cabin. Not enough to burn many calories, but long enough to make it a pain if you come and go from the room multiple times per day!

Was on Carnival Inspiration several years ago and the people in the far aft part of the ship hard to endure a large vibration due to an engine problem, so bad they couldn't sleep in their cabins the last day of the cruise. Remember the prop shafts and engine room is that direction.

They are as wide as the cabin, as usual, but DEEPER than those on the side of the ship. It depends what you use your balcony for....sitting and reading, there would be plenty of space on any balcony. If you want to entertain, then the larger balcony is great.

On many ships, it's an extremely long, aggravating walk to and from the cabin. Not enough to burn many calories, but long enough to make it a pain if you come and go from the room multiple times per day!

Lazy! It's a fair trade off for the amazing view for most! We usually make friends on a cruise and enjoy the space to entertain them.

Had our first aft on FOS last year, awesome! Fortunately didn't have problems with it, no ash, (brought a towel and wiped furniture down when we out there just in case), never noticed any vibration or noise, didn't even notice a longer walk, we walk all over anyway, but didn't gain the usual 5 lbs either. And NO wind, that was the best part. We liked it so much that it will effect our decision on future cruises based on their availability. Go for it! :)

If you go for one, just remember the cabins above you are able to look down on you while you are on your balcony. No privacy.

Not always true. Might be more helpful if you specify the ship you are talking about.

For example, on Freedom class aft balconies, deck 6 has less privacy because it sticks out further than deck 7 and 8. So, deck 7 and 8 look straight down onto about 1/3 of the deck 6 balcony

But, deck 7 and 8 stick out the same amount, so those on deck 7 have fantastic privacy. Deck 10 is awesome.. no one above you.

So, not ALL afts are great for privacy, but a lot of them are. But the ALL have deeper balconies than the side ship ones do

We recently stayed in cabin 1704 on FOS. We loved the extra large balcony, however, I wouldn't stay in an aft cabin again. Our cruise was very rocky (very windy for some reason) and we really felt the movement in our cabin. Friends of ours were in a Promenade cabin on a lower deck and they did not feel the movement as much as we did. It was a weird feeling too - like the wind was blowing the top of the ship so the movement wasn't a consistent rocking. Our DD11 was seasick many nights from the movement:(

The walk to the elevators/stairs was not far at all. It was also very quiet in our little hallway. There are definitely lots of pluses to an aft and I can see why people love them. I just wouldn't want to sleep under those conditions again.

Hi,

Try one --- if you use the balcony a lot.

We found we left the cabin too much....

and that l-o-n-g walk got stupid quick.

To the point, I would not pay more for aft

unless you plan on sitting out there a lot.

We only want side balconies near elevators now.

But, try one and see.

:cool:

Depends on a few things which in my opinion are nit picky unless you have a legit reason to care.

1) The walk - Unless you have an issue with moving (handicap, pain, etc), only laziness will be the issue. :) It's not bad at all.

2) Noise - If you go to bed at 8pm and do not get up until 9 am you may hear rumblings of some sort and this is usually on the lower (staff) and top decks (public areas) Otherwise, the noise won't bother you.

3) Privacy - Depending on the ship and the deck you may have other cabins which can see down to your balcony. That being said, you can look around the separators as well as look down onto other balconies on the port and starboard balconies too. In reality only the extended portion of an aft balcony is viewable from above. You can still look around the separators as with any balcony.

4) Motion - Unless you are dead center of the ship (vertically & horizontally) you will feel motion regardless of cabin. Sure some feel less while others feel more. But, this is usually only an issue in rough seas. Otherwise it is comparable throughout. I've stayed in cabins all over on many ships and the difference is minimal unless it's rough.

Hope this helps, but if I were you I would stay away from them. :p :) :p :)

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Was on Carnival Inspiration several years ago and the people in the far aft part of the ship hard to endure a large vibration due to an engine problem, so bad they couldn't sleep in their cabins the last day of the cruise. Remember the prop shafts and engine room is that direction.

I literally prey for this... I sleep so good when there is a little shaking ;)

Independence of the Seas Deck 10, 1402??

We will be in Freedom of the Seas #1402 in September for a B2B. Haven't stayed in it before, but the research I've done has turned up nothing but good reviews. If only 1400 or 1700 were available. :p

Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but here's FOS #1702 (Same cabin, other side) FOS #1702

Edited by lv2bcruzin