Anyone hear about norovirus on Princess out of Fort Lauderdale?

CharlieDog4

Hey All,

An office colleague said her parents are visiting relatives in Florida. They have heard of several outbreaks of norovirus on a Princess ship in Fort Lauderdale. Would that be The Ruby? Has anyone heard anything about this? Hopefully their info is wrong. We're booked on the 2/15 cruise and have our fingers crossed that all is well.

We were on the Jan. 19 to Jan. 30 Coral sailing RT out of Fort Lauderdale, and the incidence of noro was bad enough on the ship for all the precautions to be implemented and for DH to get it. By the end of the cruise, they were back to salt shakers, rolls, butter, etc. on the table, so hopefully the next cruise was not a problem.

BUT, WE USED THE PENS THEY PROVIDED IN FORT LAUDERDALE FOR FILLING OUT THE "required sickness forms". I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN, AS THAT COULD BE A CULPRIT. I ADVISE EVERYONE TO BRING YOUR OWN PEN, HAVE IT HANDY, AND USE IT IN THE CRUISE PORT.

We were on the Jan. 19 to Jan. 30 Coral sailing RT out of Fort Lauderdale, and the incidence of noro was bad enough on the ship for all the precautions to be implemented and for DH to get it. By the end of the cruise, they were back to salt shakers, rolls, butter, etc. on the table, so hopefully the next cruise was not a problem.

BUT, WE USED THE PENS THEY PROVIDED IN FORT LAUDERDALE FOR FILLING OUT THE "required sickness forms". I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN, AS THAT COULD BE A CULPRIT. I ADVISE EVERYONE TO BRING YOUR OWN PEN, HAVE IT HANDY, AND USE IT IN THE CRUISE PORT.

Good point...it's the little things we forget about.

Going on the Royal tomorrow and I'm armed with my personal cleaning supplies! Only so much you can do.

Don't forget that a code red is implemented if there are a few cases reported. It doesn't have to be "bad" as it's a preventative measure.

And ... as rampant as noro has been on land ... it would be prudent to take extra precautions especially the first few days out of port.

Generally ... noro outbreaks don't come from the ship ... as, stated above less directly, some passenger (sometimes unknowingly others possibly knowing full well that they are sick) bring it with them.

FYI, the report from the CDC confirms that the Noro on the RCL ship was carried on and spread to other passengers and crew. They can tell from the number of cases per day. The most cases were reported within the first 24-48 hours and it takes 24-48 hours to incubate. After the first two days, the number of new cases per day dropped dramatically.

When I saw ABC News interviewing a woman who claimed to have gotten sick within the first few hours of boarding, my reaction was, "Really? You're telling the world you brought it onboard?" Turns out I was right.

Hey All,

An office colleague said her parents are visiting relatives in Florida. They have heard of several outbreaks of norovirus on a Princess ship in Fort Lauderdale. Would that be The Ruby? Has anyone heard anything about this? Hopefully their info is wrong. We're booked on the 2/15 cruise and have our fingers crossed that all is well.

Just off the Ruby this morning after a B2B - no indications whatsoever of Noro on board. Have a great cruise!

this might not help, or it might,

we just got off our cruise, nad did get Noro (on end of day 2, so right at incubation period, granted that was a kid, so no matter how much u tell them wash hands/no fingers in mouth.. its useless!!) -

its really not as horrible as I feared. you miss 1 day of 7, sitting in the room, so i hope it doesn't deter you. Wash hands, etc. :) best of luck.