Food/allergy/dining time questions

leighi123

We booked just a couple days ago, and are departing on the 17th.

1. The only dining option was "my time". We for sure want to go to the earlier show, and eat later every night. Is there any way to change to late dining? If so, when/where?

I prefer fixed dining so the staff will know our dietary needs and I won't have to explain it each meal, my son has quite a long list of allergies. How are allergies handled for "my time"? Does staff have info on what ingredients are in the food for example, or we will be waiting around while they check every night?

2. I have the special needs form, and it says to send it in 30 days in advance, which, we can't do obviously - should I still bother to send it in? Or bring it?

3. Is there automatically soy milk on board, or just if you request it in advance? Little guy only has it with cereal at b-fast, and probably not even every day. Where can we find it at breakfast time? I'm wondering if it would be easier to bring a carton of almond milk to stick in our fridge and just not worry about it. He can live without anyway.

4. Is there dairy/dye/flavoring fee ice cream on board? (disney had rice dream). Or does ben + jerrys have sorbets? (he can have mango and lemon)

5. For lunch can we still order meals the night before and have them sent to windjammer to collect when hungry? We did this last time, and it was easier than waiting for someone to tell us what foods had what ingredients each time.

6. How are allergies handled for the meal for Coco Cay? I can't remember what they did for Labadee but it seems he had something special - he can't eat any of the menu items I see (he can eat animal products including cheese, which is in most veggie burgers for example).

1. The only dining option was "my time". We for sure want to go to the earlier show, and eat later every night. Is there any way to change to late dining? If so, when/where?

I prefer fixed dining so the staff will know our dietary needs and I won't have to explain it each meal, my son has quite a long list of allergies. How are allergies handled for "my time"? Does staff have info on what ingredients are in the food for example, or we will be waiting around while they check every night?

2. I have the special needs form, and it says to send it in 30 days in advance, which, we can't do obviously - should I still bother to send it in? Or bring it?

3. Is there automatically soy milk on board, or just if you request it in advance? Little guy only has it with cereal at b-fast, and probably not even every day. Where can we find it at breakfast time? I'm wondering if it would be easier to bring a carton of almond milk to stick in our fridge and just not worry about it. He can live without anyway.

4. Is there dairy/dye/flavoring fee ice cream on board? (disney had rice dream). Or does ben + jerrys have sorbets? (he can have mango and lemon)

5. For lunch can we still order meals the night before and have them sent to windjammer to collect when hungry? We did this last time, and it was easier than waiting for someone to tell us what foods had what ingredients each time.

6. How are allergies handled for the meal for Coco Cay? I can't remember what they did for Labadee but it seems he had something special - he can't eat any of the menu items I see (he can eat animal products including cheese, which is in most veggie burgers for example).

I would still send in the form but take a copy to the dining room the afternoon that you board and ask to speak with the headwaiter or maître d.

The ship has soy milk on board but we did have an issue once getting it a breakfast however upon speaking with a supervisor it appeared very quickly.

The ice cream all has dairy as does all of the sorbets. A lot of people do not realize this and have them thinking that they are dairy free when the do contain some dairy.

With allergies I know that you get to order your dinners the night before but have never heard of it for lunches but we always eat at the buffet as opposed to the dining room for lunch. Don't forget the MDR will not be open for lunch on port days.

on Coco Cay if you are in doubt about a food item just ask one of the chefs. You can also tender back to the boat and go to the WJ for more variety and then return to the island.

I would call and ask to speak to someone in the Special Needs Department on Monday. Ask your questions on that call --- especially if it is possible to get switched from My Time Dining.

I would strongly suggest you also go to the MDR once onboard and speak to the Maitre'D. If you have to stay with MyTime Dining, ask to be seated at the same table every night and ask to speak to the Head Waiter to place his order the night before.

Hopefully, you can be accommodated, will have a well trained staff, and will have an issue-free cruise.

Hoppy

Just off IN with child with severe allergies. The staff was wonderful and took excellent care to make certain the food he ate was safe. They did however ask that we did a few things to make it easier for them. Dinner only in MDR for 1st seating with just us, no other guests (Head Waiter took care of his meal and prearranged everything the night before), breakfast in the MDR early and at our own table to insure no one else ordered items on allergy list, lunch in MDR or CHOPS which was preordered (suite lunch location) and lunch on Labadee preordered and brought to Barefoot beach for him. RCCL did a wonderful job and now that the 1st cruise after allergy diagnosis went well, more in the future booked. Harder for those without allergies but worth the restrictions so that he was safe and had a great time. :)

This is the link to special needs form on line... Do it on line... there is a place to note additional special needs. And... after you send it you'll get an email confirmation. Make sure you give them an email and phone number. It is okay that it is within the 30 days... they are so nice in special needs!

www.RoyalCaribbean.com/SpecialNeedsForm

The ship has soy milk on board but we did have an issue once getting it a breakfast however upon speaking with a supervisor it appeared very quickly.

The ice cream all has dairy as does all of the sorbets. A lot of people do not realize this and have them thinking that they are dairy free when the do contain some dairy.

Good to know, thank you. I'm hoping Ben and Jerrys has sorbet, theirs doesn't have dairy/artificial anything, and he can eat it!

I would call and ask to speak to someone in the Special Needs Department on Monday. Ask your questions on that call --- especially if it is possible to get switched from My Time Dining.

I would strongly suggest you also go to the MDR once onboard and speak to the Maitre'D. If you have to stay with MyTime Dining, ask to be seated at the same table every night and ask to speak to the Head Waiter to place his order the night before.

Hopefully, you can be accommodated, will have a well trained staff, and will have an issue-free cruise.

Hoppy

I will do all this, thank you for the suggestions!

I dine My Time and have a Gluten Free requirement. It's never been a problem having the same wait staff each evening and dining when I'm ready to. Have a super time!!

Good to know if worked out that way, I was worried I'd be explaining a long list of allergies to new people every night.

Just off IN with child with severe allergies. The staff was wonderful and took excellent care to make certain the food he ate was safe. They did however ask that we did a few things to make it easier for them. Dinner only in MDR for 1st seating with just us, no other guests (Head Waiter took care of his meal and prearranged everything the night before), breakfast in the MDR early and at our own table to insure no one else ordered items on allergy list, lunch in MDR or CHOPS which was preordered (suite lunch location) and lunch on Labadee preordered and brought to Barefoot beach for him. RCCL did a wonderful job and now that the 1st cruise after allergy diagnosis went well, more in the future booked. Harder for those without allergies but worth the restrictions so that he was safe and had a great time. :)

I think we will be fine with the buffet for bfast, he usually only has fruit at that time anyway (not a big morning eater). Did you have the option of preorder lunch for WindJammer? I believe that is what we did before.

I'm so glad they will deliver lunch on their island, it would be hard to drag a 6yr old off the beach to get back on the ship just to eat and then go back again! That makes it a lot easier for me, I don't think he could eat anything but some fruit if we picked from their regular food. Its just me and him traveling together.

This is the link to special needs form on line... Do it on line... there is a place to note additional special needs. And... after you send it you'll get an email confirmation. Make sure you give them an email and phone number. It is okay that it is within the 30 days... they are so nice in special needs!

http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/SpecialNeedsForm

Thank you! I had the same form in paper format, I was worried it would take too long to mail/process. I filled out the online version and sent it!

Edited by leighi123

I have done my time dining several times and have a nut allergy. I have never had any problems with the food. Everyone was very accommodating. I would place my dinner order the night before as this way it was prepared separately to be sure there was no cross contamination. The waiters and assistant waiters remembered my allergy and if I picked a food that was questionable they would ask the Chef. Never have had a problem and I have cruised 12 times so far.

Just off OTS and I also choose to eat gluten free. DH and I did MTD and had no issues. You can request to have the same table and waiters once you are on board. Just go to the MTD line in the main dining room on deck 5 and ask them. Our hostess asked at that point if we had any allergies and they will note it. They also will ask at dinner and our waiter was very diligent about pointing out what was and what was not available gluten free. He also said that he could have the chef make up something different if I wanted to "preorder" the night before if the special isn't what you want.