Guaranteed Cabin

Who's done it before? Just looking for some insight on it. Balconies have gone down for our cruise but they are Guaranteed Cabin ones. Would love any and all thoughts on them :)

been on indy five times from Southampton ,there are no bad balconys,if you got agood price for a gty grab it.

My wife used to own a TA, has been on over 90 cruises & is a big fan of Guaranteed Cabins. I think you have to look at it this way - do a "mock booking" and look through the available balcony cabins. Find the worst one, in your opinion, and ask yourself if you would be happy with it for the price you're paying. You have a good chance of getting a better one, but if you'd be happy with that one, go for it, that should be the worst case.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

We have played the guarantee game several times and have always been pleased. If you are happy with the price and content with not getting to pick your cabin, you will be pleased. If the price is borderline and/or you have strong desires for a certain location, you would be better advised to avoid the guarantee game.

Edited by mjldvlks

I have always been pleased with my guarantee cabins. On the last Allure cruise, we were assigned the very first forward balcony cabin. I was able to change it to another Oceanview Balcony in the same category for a location I preferred.

I only book guranteed cabins. Its always the cheapest price. I book my cruise let them assign me a room. Check and see if I like the room. Then call and see what rooms are available in the same category and based on whats available decide which cabin I like the best. I have never been let down and the price is always reasonable.

We book gty more often than not. I love a good deal and am not picky about cabin locations so it is a solid WIN for me :)

As a rule what % cheaper are they? I book solo and interior because of cost and with the new 200% even that is getting expensive. Live far away from ports so no last minute deals. Eligible for balcony discount but they are still out of my range.

As a rule what % cheaper are they? I book solo and interior because of cost and with the new 200% even that is getting expensive. Live far away from ports so no last minute deals. Eligible for balcony discount but they are still out of my range.

On our FOS this coming Sept, it looks like GTY is running about $200 less than booking a non-GTY....We are going to try it, booking an OV GTY but hoping to upgrade later to a balcony....Fingers crossed!!

I think the guarantee price delta varies, depending on how heavily the ship is booked. In fact, sometimes they're not even available. But if you're price conscious, you can often book an interior guarantee also, that should be the absolute lowest price cabin you could book.

Unfortunately, guarantee cabins are typically only available for double occupancy. Sometimes, they are available for 4, but not usually for solo cabins.

The thing I always tell people is that if you are someone who researches every single thing about a specific cabin, and has a list of a number of cabins that are most certainly not acceptable to you, then a guaranteed cabin is not a good idea since you might not get a cabin you like.

OTOH if you are like me in that as long as you are on the ship, you are happy, then a guarantee is perfect and a great way to save money.

On uk bookings,you can't swap rooms,you can only choose another gty after assignment or pay extra for that catergory.

Good point! I keep forgetting to look and see where the OP is from. Swapping rooms within the same category for no charge is only valid (as far as I know) for US bookings.

If you end up booking one don't stop watching prices.

For my upcoming Allure cruise I went from a balcony guarantee to a D3 balcony which cost ~15% less when the prices dropped. My guarantee location was ok, but my new (now chosen) location was better (in my mind anyway).

Who's done it before? Just looking for some insight on it. Balconies have gone down for our cruise but they are Guaranteed Cabin ones. Would love any and all thoughts on them :)

Good point! I keep forgetting to look and see where the OP is from. Swapping rooms within the same category for no charge is only valid (as far as I know) for US bookings.

I'm slightly cheating the system and booked with my American TA since we are Americans just lstationed in the uk, thanks to the USAF :D

Thanks y'all for the advice! Sadly the price just magically went back up from $300 from our current booming to over $1000 more! :( so that's a no go. But I'll keep watching!

As a PP said, gty cabins are nearly always double occupancy. We usually book last minute so I cannot say what the savings usually is in advance. Booking a month or so out in the Med we have been able to get 7 night cruises for about $350 pp on several different ships and itineraries, with inside gtys (not in summer, but in spring or fall) :D