Luggage; cheap or expensive

Surfguyxxx

My bags are in the middle. I don't want anything that's going to fall apart, but I also do want to spend an insane amount of money on luggage that's just going to get beat up.

I got mine at Marshall's. Those kind of stores have GREAT prices on luggage. Mine was about 65% off the original price, and it's good quality name-brand luggage. I've had the same set for about 6 years now, and I take 3-5 trips a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

D.W. scored 2 nice discontinued colored Delsey's on E-bags $89 each .

They weigh next to nothing and roll very easy.

We'd be middle of the road also. We prefer to opt for cases that stand out in the crowd, in the sea of black or silver cases - our colourful ones make it easier to pick them out, and hopefully not too many others have similiar cases.

Years ago I worked in lost luggage for a major airline. After seeing what luggage really gets put through I can say that the more expensive brands aren't necessarily any better, the biggest difference is that when they are damaged they can be repaired, cheaper bags are usually replaced. The suitcase that impressed me the most was actually a cheap Kmart bag- it had fallen off a tug, dragged and ran over (tire tracks were visible)- the dragging resulted in the corner being sheared away (down into the metal), but the bag actually still held together and didn't lose any of it's contents. Worst bag performance was from a well known brand that makes a lot of fashionable fun print bags- they were always breaking!

For airline survivability important thing to look for are "interior" type wheels that won't get knocked off, and streamlining as far as anything sticking out- zipper pulls, handles, tags etc- those things get caught in belts very easily!

We bought a nice set of matching luggage from TK Maxx (Chaps) but on first use one of the wheels came off the larger case. The airline wouldn't repair but replaced it with what I consider an inferior case - it was take it or leave it - so we had no option. I've since looked into getting the wheel repaired myself (because it was part of a matching set) but it seems impossible for most makes (at least in the UK).

So now I only buy something of equivalent cost to a replacement we are likely to get from the airline if damaged.

As Roatanfans mentions, wheels on the spinner type cases seem pretty vulnerable.

My Grandma gave me a set of luggage for high school graffiti on that was pretty nice. I used that to go to Europe and for 5 cruises before it finally gave out. I haven't used it yet, but I ended up getting a lower end middle of the road hybrid suitcase (aspects of both hard sided and soft) that I love and a fairly inexpensive hard sided carryon. Both have 4 wheels so that my carryon doesn't fall over in the airport!

I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on luggage, but I'm hoping these pieces last at least a few cruises/ flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to buy high end luggage, not anymore. The airlines have really torn up our "nice" luggage. So now we just buy a name brand that has a decent reputation that is a good price. They usually last a few years, then it is time to buy new.

My best luck has been TravelPro that I buy when I find a sale. My priorities are weight and interior space/configuration. I travel extensively for work and find they last a couple years which means surviving at least 100 flights a year, mostly checked through.

I am sold on Hartmann luggage. Yes, it is heavy. Yes, it is expensive at retail. But it is also sold on Ebay by a couple of sellers that get the seconds or "last years" models (if there is such a thing with Hartmann). There are also pieces on Ebay that may be over 20 years old but look the same as today's luggage. The Hartmann tweed has been around since the 30's. Estate sales in affluent neighborhoods also are good places to find Hartmann luggage that has been very gently used.

My mobile traveler has been through more than anyone who just flies on airplanes or goes on cruises. It has been dragged through the dirt in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait. It has been dragged in and out of helicopters. It has been thrown in the back of MRAP's in Afghanistan. And other than a few oily/dirty spots, it has come through with only a rip in the side (caught it on the grab rail getting out of a helo), which was fixed by Hartmann and you can't see it. Wheels still on the bag (it is 10 years old), handle still intact. And my clothes travel so well-everything gets hung up except shoes, tops and underwear so no wrinkles. I hang everything on wire hangers (a lot of stuff doubled on those hangers) with dry cleaners bags over the top. I can put at least 14 hangers in the suitcase. That is a LOT of clothes.

I also particularly like my Tutto rolling office. Another very sturdy piece of luggage. Obviously, I use it for my laptop. But it is large enough to put my makeup, my zip lock bag for TSA, files, a book and a change of clothes. And it is sturdy enough to put a LOT of stuff on top of the bag (it even comes with it's own bungie) and still wheel on 4 wheels easily. http://store.tutto.com/wide-office-on-wheels-1/

Edited by greatam

Years ago I worked in lost luggage for a major airline. After seeing what luggage really gets put through I can say that the more expensive brands aren't necessarily any better, the biggest difference is that when they are damaged they can be repaired, cheaper bags are usually replaced. The suitcase that impressed me the most was actually a cheap Kmart bag- it had fallen off a tug, dragged and ran over (tire tracks were visible)- the dragging resulted in the corner being sheared away (down into the metal), but the bag actually still held together and didn't lose any of it's contents. Worst bag performance was from a well known brand that makes a lot of fashionable fun print bags- they were always breaking!

For airline survivability important thing to look for are "interior" type wheels that won't get knocked off, and streamlining as far as anything sticking out- zipper pulls, handles, tags etc- those things get caught in belts very easily!

Great tips. Thank you.

I will keep these comments in mind next time we shop for luggage.

We try to buy middle of the road and light weight luggage. We've had wheels fall of our bags and we've had luggage torn en route. It's a balancing act deciding how much to invest in luggage so it will be durable but on the other hand if it gets ruined quickly, you're not out too much money.

I only buy the best.

The German and Japanese Carbon Fiber / Titanium armoured bags are ultra-light and nearly indestructible.

They cost me about US$1,000 per bag. But even though I fly a half million miles every year, they last several years.

By the way, they have never been lost or stolen in over 30 years intensive travel.

I only buy the best.

The German and Japanese Carbon Fiber / Titanium armoured bags are ultra-light and nearly indestructible.

They cost me about US$1,000 per bag. But even though I fly a half million miles every year, they last several years.

By the way, they have never been lost or stolen in over 30 years intensive travel.

What brand? I"m curious as to how they look. Sounds a lot better than a $2000 Louis Vuitton that isn't even made of leather.