Lobster Night Canceled

Lollygil

I read an interesting article about lobster pricing this summer. Lobster prices have been depressed for quite a while now ($5.99, $4.99, even $3.99lb). However, restaurants generally retain an artificial high price for lobster because consumers expect it, and feel as if they are treating themselves to a luxury. Restaurants net more by selling at an absurd markup (especially since most lobster preparation involves nothing more exotic than boiling or steaming for a few minutes), than they would make up in volume if they were selling at market prices.

I believe it. It's all a matter of what people are willing to pay and they know at a restaurant people will pay a premium for lobster even though it's not something that is all that expensive or that complicated to make.

I think it's silly how people go crazy over the lobster on these cruises like they can't get lobster anywhere else.

If you want real lobster, come to my neck of the country, New England, now that's a lobster! not those hot water little cray fishy lobsters. yuck!

The true Maine lobster is a cold water lobster, known officially as Homarus americanus (literally, “American Lobster”). Cold water lobsters, which are distinguished by their two large claws, have whiter meat than warm water lobsters, and they are what people think of when they talk about Maine lobster or Boston lobster.

Edited by N747KT

We were on the Sky last week and NO lobster night--apparently its been eliminated due to menu changes..add the chocolate on the pillow canceled and I am starting to feel like I am on a budget trip. NOT acceptable

Go to Costco ask for the 2 LB bag of Canadian lobster legs/claws they are like $20 way better than the Caribbean lobster they serve in the MDR and you would of saved about $2,000 -that's enough for a bag of chocolates and you would still be around $1990 ahead :)

If you want real lobster, come to my neck of the country, New England, now that's a lobster! not those hot water little cray fishy lobsters. yuck! The true Maine lobster is a cold water lobster, known officially as Homarus americanus (literally, “American Lobster”) ...

Go tell them, look like this - (found this in our photo collection) Mrs. M had her own steamed soft-shell @ 2.5 lbs with butter :D Mine was bigger - these, I wouldn't mind paying a surcharge onboard for it ...

Maine-SDC72.jpg

Maine-SDC72.jpg

We were on the Sky last week and NO lobster night--apparently its been eliminated due to menu changes..add the chocolate on the pillow canceled and I am starting to feel like I am on a budget trip. NOT acceptable

Chocolates on the pillow were discontinued quite awhile ago except for silver and above.

I believe it. It's all a matter of what people are willing to pay and they know at a restaurant people will pay a premium for lobster even though it's not something that is all that expensive or that complicated to make.

I think it's silly how people go crazy over the lobster on these cruises like they can't get lobster anywhere else.

I'm with you. Saw a commercial for $3.99 lobster tails at the Golden Corral. That's all you need to know about how readily available they are

Well...according to Wikipedia (because everything there is truth!)

before they were popular, lawbstahs were used as fertilizer. heck it was even considered peasant food and a regular item for prisons. :eek:

Yup, I live on the Bay of Fundy and one of my coworkers told me how he was poor growing up and had to eat lobster rolls and the rich kids got to bring Bologna sandwiches.

Until I joined this forum I didn't know there was any other type of lobster bedsides the ones crawling around in a tank at the grocery store/on my kitchen floor to terrify me as a child. I don't think I've seen anything less than 1.5 or 2 lbs either

Yup, I live on the Bay of Fundy and one of my coworkers told me how he was poor growing up and had to eat lobster rolls and the rich kids got to bring Bologna sandwiches.

Until I joined this forum I didn't know there was any other type of lobster bedsides the ones crawling around in a tank at the grocery store/on my kitchen floor to terrify me as a child. I don't think I've seen anything less than 1.5 or 2 lbs either

You know! That's just rubbing it in! :D

I recall memories of family vacations to Bar Harbor, ME and filling our coolers with lawbstahs from an outfit called Parson's. Now THAT was good eating. Those will always be lobsters in my book!

Oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I read an interesting article about lobster pricing this summer. Lobster prices have been depressed for quite a while now ($5.99, $4.99, even $3.99lb). However, restaurants generally retain an artificial high price for lobster because consumers expect it, and feel as if they are treating themselves to a luxury. Restaurants net more by selling at an absurd markup (especially since most lobster preparation involves nothing more exotic than boiling or steaming for a few minutes), than they would make up in volume if they were selling at market prices.

I don't think the price has anything to do with it. I am sure, cruise lines buy in huge volume and get a much better deal than we can imagine, plus the Lobsters you are referring to, if I understand correctly are the Canadian and Maine Lobsters. That is different from what we get on ships

Where can I get those $4 and $5 a lb ones btw?

You know! That's just rubbing it in! :D

I recall memories of family vacations to Bar Harbor, ME and filling our coolers with lawbstahs from an outfit called Parson's. Now THAT was good eating. Those will always be lobsters in my book!

Haha I didn't think of that because I dislike seafood