Sanctuary prices shocked!!

jackieo

I used to book balcony or mini-suite cabins but when Princess changed all the balcony furniture a few years ago, I found the furniture like sitting on concrete and extremely uncomfortable. No amount of pillows or towels made them comfortable to sit on for more than a few minutes. Probably due to the arthritis in my back. For me, that rendered my balcony unusable other than to go out and stand at the railing.

Why pay for something I can’t use? I now book obstructed oceanview or inside cabins and book the Sanctuary for my cruise. Very comfortable loungers, personal service and afternoon tea, paid for by OBC rather than out-of-pocket. For me, it’s a win-win. I use it even on chilly days.

Ditto! And they bring you nice cosy blankets on chilly days.

I just wish they offer the option of having an Ultimate "Balcony" Dinner up in the Sanctuary for passengers who don't have balconies. They could set-up 3-4 dinner tables in the Sanctuary on most ships each night, placed around the Sanctuary so each table is quite private. In fact on some ships, eg Royal, they have the cabanas in the Sanctuary and they would be great for a dinner.

Last week on Ruby it was $20 half day or $40 full day.

We spent quite a bit of time in the Spa area and small poor below the Sanctuary, there were NEVER more than 2-3 people in the Sanctuary.

There may have been a lot more loungers booked and the occupiers were off doing other things. In the past we have been booked in Sanctuary - even in the good old days of original pricing - and it was sold out, but you could see some unoccupied loungers.

Also, port intensive cruises are going to result in less demand. And weather makes a difference as well. I would still expect to see the Sanctuary full on a sea day in the Caribbean.

I am going to be choosy and selective of dates and times on our upcoming S.A. cruise.

We actually chatted about this with the staff on the Island after our UBD because the space is not used at night. The general consensus was that on most ships the wind in the sanctuary area, while great on hot days, makes serving a formal meal a challenge. Also on many ships, the sanctuary is very visible and might make you feel like being on display even more so than a balcony. Would possibly work on the Royal and Regal though with their design. Not all the ships have easy access to food storage/warmer/galley elevator access near the Sanctuaries as well.

That said, they also sell out of UBDs almost all the time already without it so would need more staff

Apparently however, you COULD book it for a wedding reception on some ships if you wanted or similar event, but you have to pay to have all the loungers pulled out and then reset, etc.

Ditto! And they bring you nice cosy blankets on chilly days.

I just wish they offer the option of having an Ultimate "Balcony" Dinner up in the Sanctuary for passengers who don't have balconies. They could set-up 3-4 dinner tables in the Sanctuary on most ships each night, placed around the Sanctuary so each table is quite private. In fact on some ships, eg Royal, they have the cabanas in the Sanctuary and they would be great for a dinner.

We actually chatted about this with the staff on the Island after our UBD because the space is not used at night. The general consensus was that on most ships the wind in the sanctuary area, while great on hot days, makes serving a formal meal a challenge. Also on many ships, the sanctuary is very visible and might make you feel like being on display even more so than a balcony. Would possibly work on the Royal and Regal though with their design. Not all the ships have easy access to food storage/warmer/galley elevator access near the Sanctuaries as well.

That said, they also sell out of UBDs almost all the time already without it so would need more staff

Apparently however, you COULD book it for a wedding reception on some ships if you wanted or similar event, but you have to pay to have all the loungers pulled out and then reset, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums