Sanctuary prices shocked!!

jackieo

I am not pleased to hear the adult only pool is at a cost. I've only cruised Royal Caribbean and their equivalent, the Solarium, does not cost. Is there anything Princess offers in the Sanctuary other than a pool, hot tub, seating, that would justify such a cost? We're planning to go on our first Princess cruise within the next year so I guess I'd better check it out better first.

On most ships, the adults only pool does not have a cost.

I am not pleased to hear the adult only pool is at a cost. I've only cruised Royal Caribbean and their equivalent, the Solarium, does not cost. Is there anything Princess offers in the Sanctuary other than a pool, hot tub, seating, that would justify such a cost? We're planning to go on our first Princess cruise within the next year so I guess I'd better check it out better first.
Don't know where you are getting that information. The only adult only pool that costs is the aft pool on the Coral and Island that became inaccessible except from the Sanctuary. The Retreat Pool on the Royal/Regal, the aft Terrace Pool and the forward Spa Pool on the Grand class ships and the Lotus Pool on the Coral/Island have NO cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am not pleased to hear the adult only pool is at a cost. I've only cruised Royal Caribbean and their equivalent, the Solarium, does not cost. Is there anything Princess offers in the Sanctuary other than a pool, hot tub, seating, that would justify such a cost?
There's no pool in the Sanctuary unless you're on the Coral or Island Princess. None of the others have a pool nor a hot tub. There's no charge to use any pool or hot tub.

What you're paying for is a quiet, luxurious area with large, comfortable loungers and chairs with attendants to see to your comfort. They bring you iced towels on hot days, blankets on cooler days, get you drinks and food, and serve afternoon tea that's to die for. You book "your" lounger and it's yours to come and go as you please. Does that sound like the RCCL Solarium?

Here are a couple of photos from the Sapphire Princess:

e5e4uny2.jpgzy4ajyqa.jpg

Even with the increased cost, I still plan to book oceanview cabins and the Sanctuary. It's worth it to me, particularly since I find the balcony furniture so uncomfortable as to be unusable for other than a short period of time. I'm not willing to pay the cost for something I can't use.

About a year ago, a luxury cinema opened up nearby called Cineopolis. It's more expensive but you book a specific seat, have a leather lounger, and wait service directly to your seat. It's like watching a movie in a BarcaLounger. I put the footrest up, the seat back and enjoy the movie. Order a drink and maybe something to eat delivered to the swivel tray next to the chair. It's luxurious and I'm pampered and spoiled. To me, the Sanctuary is the same. It's a chance to be pampered.

There's no pool in the Sanctuary unless you're on the Coral or Island Princess. None of the others have a pool nor a hot tub. There's no charge to use any pool or hot tub.

What you're paying for is a quiet, luxurious area with large, comfortable loungers and chairs with attendants to see to your comfort. They bring you iced towels on hot days, blankets on cooler days, get you drinks and food, and serve afternoon tea that's to die for. You book "your" lounger and it's yours to come and go as you please. Does that sound like the RCCL Solarium?

Here are a couple of photos from the Sapphire Princess:

e5e4uny2.jpgzy4ajyqa.jpg

Even with the increased cost, I still plan to book oceanview cabins and the Sanctuary. It's worth it to me, particularly since I find the balcony furniture so uncomfortable as to be unusable for other than a short period of time. I'm not willing to pay the cost for something I can't use.

About a year ago, a luxury cinema opened up nearby called Cineopolis. It's more expensive but you book a specific seat, have a leather lounger, and wait service directly to your seat. It's like watching a movie in a BarcaLounger. I put the footrest up, the seat back and enjoy the movie. Order a drink and maybe something to eat delivered to the swivel tray next to the chair. It's luxurious and I'm pampered and spoiled. To me, the Sanctuary is the same. It's a chance to be pampered.

Thank you for the explanation. I was totally confused. RCI doesn't offer anything like that. I appreciate the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Princess is first cruise line that I have sailed with that charges for peace and quite. I was shocked when I found out that they charge for use of the Sanctuary. IF I had known this before I booked with them, I would have NOT booked with Princess. RC Oasis of the Seas has the ultimate Sanctuary and it is free to all adult guests! I am a teacher and cruise to get away from the noise of children. I am now dreading the fact that I will be stuck on this boat for 9 days with no retreat from the noise of kids! I refuse to pay for something that should be offered free! This is my first and last cruise with Princess, peace and quite is the ONLY reason I cruise, it shouldn't cost more that the high price I've already paid just to be on the boat!!! I am no longer looking forward to my cruise vacation!!!

Princess is first cruise line that I have sailed with that charges for peace and quite. I was shocked when I found out that they charge for use of the Sanctuary. IF I had known this before I booked with them, I would have NOT booked with Princess. RC Oasis of the Seas has the ultimate Sanctuary and it is free to all adult guests! I am a teacher and cruise to get away from the noise of children. I am now dreading the fact that I will be stuck on this boat for 9 days with no retreat from the noise of kids! I refuse to pay for something that should be offered free! This is my first and last cruise with Princess, peace and quite is the ONLY reason I cruise, it shouldn't cost more that the high price I've already paid just to be on the boat!!! I am no longer looking forward to my cruise vacation!!!

What ship are you on? Many of them have the aft pool which is adults only.

This is indeed tragic. And heartbreaking. I refer, of course, to your lack of prior research. Had you done that research, you would have also found out that there is an aft pool restricted for adults only, as well as the Lotus Spa pool, which is adults only and available for anyone to use for free. Perhaps once you stop fulminating, you'll be able to take a moment to learn something about the ship you're sailing on.

QUOTE: just to be on the boat!!!

It is unfortunate you did not know this before. You could have cancelled. It is a good if you can find out all the particulars of the SHIP before you book or at least before final payment. ;)

Edited by janetz

Just off a 5 day on the Ruby - Sanctuary was $40/day, but if u booked the whole 5 days, it came to $150, or $30/day. If u wanted to book only for the day, you had to get up at 6:30AM and stand in line to sign up at 7:30 for a chair. Also lots of "Spring Breakers" on board & the "adults only" pools forward and aft were overrun by them. There WERE no quiet areas except for the sanctuary! I learned my lesson: no cruising the Caribbean during Spring Break.

We have a friend on Island right now who was planning to book for the entire cruise, I've emailed her to see how much they paid.

I was thinking of emailing her too. Thanks. Let us know what she says. What I'd like to know is whether the $40/day includes the Canal transit day or whether it is $40/day plus extra for Canal day. It could be that they've increased the price and also included Canal day.

Hello ladies!!!! :)

Yes indeed, it was $40 PER PERSON for a full day, $20 PER PERSON for a half day, and $30 PER PERSON if you booked for the entire cruise. This did not include the Panama Canal transit day. That was an additional $60 PER PERSON. We were given unlimited champagne/mimosas; a drink of the day with a souvineer glass; fresh fruit and yogurt in the morning; free delivery from their spa food menu (usually a $3 charge), and a complimentary 8x10 photo of you taken while transiting the locks. The Sanctuary attendants were very good at not allowing those who did NOT book the Sanctuary to come and stand at the rail back there (many people tried).

We did pay these prices, and were able to get one of the cabanas (there is no additional charge for the cabanas). I have to admit we fully enjoyed it!!!

Tracey (Cruise Junky) - you are correct - we did NOT pay anything additional for transit day when we were on the Coral.

I can tell you that the Sanctuary was no where near full on our sailing. There were a number of people who only booked the transit day. I asked the attendant if he felt the lack of people was due to the increase in price. He said absolutely - until the price went up they were ALWAYS fully booked.

Although the Sanctuary is not something my wife or I are ever likely to use, judging by the number of threads on here about it and the many positive reviews it has gotten it would apperar to be popular. Perhaps too popular.

Assume 50 seats for ease of math. $20 a head makes Princess $1000/day. At $40 a head they need sell only 25 seats to make the same money. Any seats over 25 are just more profit. If they keep selling out at $40 one could reasonably expect the price to keep going up until they hit the point where revenue takes a significant drop as the product is now priced out of the market. Any company will do this to maximize the bottom line. Pretty standard business practice and Princess is a big business.

Once you are on their ship you are pretty much a captive to the service they offer. If you want the Sanctuary you pay their price. Not like at home when you are car shopping and there are dozens of options available to be played off against each other until you get the deal that you are happy with.

Edited by Gunner22aa

Last week on a Ruby B2B it was still $20 day/$10 half day.

We took it for the whole week and saved a little- We did this in the Caribbean and enjoyed it every day. If we went on a shore excursion, used it either in the AM or after our day in port.

Love the comfort and do not miss the chair hogs at the pools. Some Celebrity ships have the Alcoves which cost $99 Port days and $150 sea days- they also are cheaper by the week. 2-6 people can share. Best for 2-4.

I only read the first and last pages of this thread but we're just off the Royal and not only was it $40/day but there was no discount if you booked the whole week - still $40/day but no standing in line every morning.,

(Oh, and if you booked it for the week you paid for 7 days even though you pretty much could only use it for 6)

We booked it for the shade (which is at a premium on this ship) and quiet but decided that in the future we'll book less expensive cabins to compensate.

Edited by chamima

I only read the first and last pages of this thread but we're just off the Royal and not only was it $40/day but there was no discount if you booked the whole week - still $40/day but no standing in line every morning.,

(Oh, and if you booked it for the week you paid for 7 days even though you pretty much could only use it for 6)

We booked it for the shade (which is at a premium on this ship) and quiet but decided that in the future we'll book less expensive cabins to compensate.

We also booked the shade spot and were the first couple on line so we picked the location!

We are on the Island for 15 days in April, so doing some quick math...

15 days x 30 dollars (if paying for whole cruise) x 2 persons = $900 + $60 x 2 for transit day = $1020! :eek:

Officially, no. The Sanctuary seats are booked per person, and it would be very hard for the stewards to keep track of who should be there.

IF the sanctuary is underbooked, sometimes you can ask the Stewards to be nice, maybe for one afternoon.

If we were to "buy" 2 Sanctuary seats, and are travelling with another couple, could we share among the 4 of us as long as no more than 2 were in the Sanctuary at the same time?

Good morning! Your ticker is looking awfully lonely, I think you need to add a few things to it :) Can't leave your gingerbread men alone.

I know!!! It's very sad, isn't it!! :( But with the wedding (and possibly two) next year, we are hesitant to book anything!!!! I just wish I could convince one of my kids to get married on a cruise. So far, no luck! :rolleyes:

Just off a 5 day on the Ruby - Sanctuary was $40/day, but if u booked the whole 5 days, it came to $150, or $30/day. If u wanted to book only for the day, you had to get up at 6:30AM and stand in line to sign up at 7:30 for a chair. Also lots of "Spring Breakers" on board & the "adults only" pools forward and aft were overrun by them. There WERE no quiet areas except for the sanctuary! I learned my lesson: no cruising the Caribbean during Spring Break.

Cruising anywhere during Spring Break can be a mess. I guess I had the wrong parents. They never sent me on a ship for Spring Break.:eek::D

Will be on the Ruby for a 5 day soon.

Was the Sanctuary sold out on your cruise.

How soon did you book after embarking?

How very sad. You say you are a teacher and yet, not only did you fail to READ about the shjp/cruise line, but you also don't seem to know the difference between "quite" and "quiet". Additionally, you don't seem to like kids. Perhaps you should pursue not only a different venue for vacations, but also a different career path.