Sanctuary prices shocked!!

jackieo

Jackieo - Thank you for the clarification. I'm just wondering if you asked again (and a different person this time) if you might get a different answer? We'll be on the Island in a few months and I will definitely be asking for clarification on those rates. They seem way too steep to me.

We have a friend on Island right now who was planning to book for the entire cruise, I've emailed her to see how much they paid.

Just got a text from our friends ...Island is following the sapphire Princess down the channel now to open water. She did book a Cabana #3 at $40/per day....yikes....hope she is not lonely up there....:o

If that's for two people it's correct. We booked the Sanctuary for the entire cruise and it was $20 day/per person. For me it was totally worth it. We had a cabana and it was amazing.

Unless it's changed recently. With search being down I can't find the posts but there are numerous claiming it's only for the partials. And I can attest to it not being the case on Coral when we did it.
ROFL! It could be a case of typical Princess: inconsistency. The Coral could be different from the Island. Stuff like this has happened before.

We have a friend on Island right now who was planning to book for the entire cruise, I've emailed her to see how much they paid.
I was thinking of emailing her too. Thanks. Let us know what she says. What I'd like to know is whether the $40/day includes the Canal transit day or whether it is $40/day plus extra for Canal day. It could be that they've increased the price and also included Canal day.

I'm on the Sapphire in less than two weeks so I'm hoping the price hasn't increased from when I booked it three weeks ago on the Sapphire.

Edited by Pam in CA

On our Island cruise, the Cabanas on the upper deck were only available to couples or pairs so they were listed at $40/day ($30 if you booked the whole cruise) for both loungers in them (kind of makes sense, they're not really ideal for sharing). That may explain the discrepancy if they asked about those loungers and the difference was not made clear.

On our Island cruise, the Cabanas on the upper deck were only available to couples or pairs so they were listed at $40/day ($30 if you booked the whole cruise) for both loungers in them (kind of makes sense, they're not really ideal for sharing). That may explain the discrepancy if they asked about those loungers and the difference was not made clear.
That was the same pricing for us a year ago on the a Island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The above would seem to make sense. At 40 with 30 per day for the cabanas would equate with 20 per day per person, reduced to 30 per day with 15 per day for whole cruise. This represents the same prices that cruisers have experienced. I.e 20 per day per lounger, reduced to 15 for whole cruise.

We await further reports!!!

I am just off the Emerald Princess today after 20 days in the sanctuary. $135 per 10 day cruise. I was told by the sanctuary manager that starting today the price was doubled. That would be $270 per 10 day per person. They do not open the sanctuary on embarkation day. I may have to rethink my inside cabin strategy.

They also told me the price for crown grill and Sabitinis would be going up but they were staggering the price increases. I find that staggering, pun intended.

I am just off the Emerald Princess today after 20 days in the sanctuary. $135 per 10 day cruise. I was told by the sanctuary manager that starting today the price was doubled. That would be $270 per 10 day per person. They do not open the sanctuary on embarkation day. I may have to rethink my inside cabin strategy.

They also told me the price for crown grill and Sabitinis would be going up but they were staggering the price increases. I find that staggering, pun intended.

When you say they do not open the sanctuary on embarkation day, I assume that is is open for booking for whole cruise, but not for passenger use on that day? Is that correct?

Thanks for the update! We were on the Emerald last year and the Sanctuary was $20 per day/per person and there was no discount for booking the entire cruise. Since we had not experienced the Sanctuary, we decided to go ahead and book for the cruise. We were looking forward to booking it again on the Emerald in April.

Why, oh Why, can't Princess be consistent with pricing?? You were able to book the Sanctuary for $13.50 a day for the 10-day cruise? That's a bigger discount than I have ever heard of - normally cruisers have said they got it for $15 a day if booking for the entire cruise. I'm wondering if when they say it will double - is that double of the $13.50 you paid, the $15 others have paid, or the $20 I paid last year?? Whew! If only someone could answer that!!:D

I convinced DH last year to go ahead even though we weren't getting a discount for booking the entire cruise, and we had cruising friends who wanted to book it also. If it is more than $20 a day, I don't see us in the Sanctuary for the entire cruise this time.

A 10 day cruise is only billed at 9 days because of disembarkation day.

That said, in the category of be careful what you wish for, Princess may have followed up on the suggestions in the other thread to raise prices and reduce demand to let more people book early.

Thanks for the update! We were on the Emerald last year and the Sanctuary was $20 per day/per person and there was no discount for booking the entire cruise. Since we had not experienced the Sanctuary, we decided to go ahead and book for the cruise. We were looking forward to booking it again on the Emerald in April.

Why, oh Why, can't Princess be consistent with pricing?? You were able to book the Sanctuary for $13.50 a day for the 10-day cruise? That's a bigger discount than I have ever heard of - normally cruisers have said they got it for $15 a day if booking for the entire cruise. I'm wondering if when they say it will double - is that double of the $13.50 you paid, the $15 others have paid, or the $20 I paid last year?? Whew! If only someone could answer that!!:D

I convinced DH last year to go ahead even though we weren't getting a discount for booking the entire cruise, and we had cruising friends who wanted to book it also. If it is more than $20 a day, I don't see us in the Sanctuary for the entire cruise this time.

It looks as though princess has doubled the price across the board. On the Crown last year it was 20 per day, or 15 per day for the whole cruise. It now looks as though they have increased

it to 40 per day and 30 per day for the whole cruise, which is borne out by a previous post that

the 10 day cruise would now be 270 for the whole cruise. They do not charge for the last day.

Won't it be interesting to see how many takers there will be at these prices? Princess may get their fingers burnt with these enormous increases.

As you state, that is a "staggering" increase in more way than one :eek: It seemed a bit much when the Sanctuary price was increased from $20 to $25 for a single full day on the Royal. If they are raising the price to $40 there will be no more Sanctuary in our plans and we will stick with a balcony.

Ok, since we have not cruised with Princess in a few years and have never used the sanctuary can someone run through what else is included in this area that makes it so special besides nice loungers and peace and quiet? Thanks ahead. :)

Edited by janetz

Wasn't there a thread recently about the sanctuary and how some people were bent out of shape that they couldn't book due to back to backers getting priority ? Maybe this price gouging will resolve the situation

Be careful what you ask for. Moreover, Princess must be following the boards and they realize how popular the sanctuary is. That said, why in the world would anyone pay the new price when they could probably afford a balcony instead of an ocean view or inside cabin?:eek:

If disembarkation day was one of the 10, no it wasn't since the Sanctuary is not open that day.

Possibly on cruises with a lot of B2B passengers they may keep it open that day?

Also, if boarding early I suppose it could be open part of embarkation day...

We were on a 10 day cruise. Price was stated $20 per day. We paid $200 for the cruise. Guess that wasn't right!!:eek:
Edited by Loonbeam

I don't know about the price change but I did have a problem with the sanctuary. When we were on the CB a couple weeks ago, I tried to get reservations at the sanctuary and received conflicting information.

I asked if they had any openings for the afternoon and was told it would be a first come, first serve basis starting at 1:00. They will not give out reservations before 1:00. Since it was 12:00, I swim in the sanctuary pool and waited for 1:00. At 12:45 I decided it was close enough, and went to be the first in line. I was told they were all filled up. I asked how that could be since I was waiting and never saw anyone come up to the entrance. The attendant just said sorry. I just left confused. They don't seem to have a consistent policy.

Ok, since we have not cruised with Princess in a few years and have never used the sanctuary can someone run through what else is included in this area that makes it so special besides nice loungers and peace and quiet? Thanks ahead. :)
Service may vary slightly by ship. The Coral and Island Sanctuaries have a coffee brewer so you can get complementary fresh brewed coffee or hot tea and they bring around breakfast pastries when you get there in the morning. They also brought ice water and cold wash clothes during the day. You can order food at lunch for a $3 fee. In the afternoon they bring afternoon tea with all of the trimmings offered in the dining room. The area is quiet and the loungers are quite comfortable. You can do most of that yourself but in the Sanctuary you can get everything you would want without leaving in your lounge chair and Escape Completely, especially on a sea day intensive cruise. That being said, for us it would not be worth it for $40/day

Possibly on cruises with a lot of B2B passengers they may keep it open that day?

We were on a B2B on the Ruby 2/1-2/10 with 800+ :eek: other B2B cruisers. The Sanctuary opened at 1 pm on embarkation days. We were charged 1/2 ($10) fee (and we had booked it for both cruises) for each of those afternoons.

I am not pleased to hear the adult only pool is at a cost. I've only cruised Royal Caribbean and their equivalent, the Solarium, does not cost. Is there anything Princess offers in the Sanctuary other than a pool, hot tub, seating, that would justify such a cost? We're planning to go on our first Princess cruise within the next year so I guess I'd better check it out better first.