MDR Dress Code

sharmorr

From Carnival.com's FAQs:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I've actually seen them let in people with jeans, shorts, and t-shirts on the elegant nights... Wish they would just turn them away to go to the buffet. One cruise they actually did that and I was impressed... However, this was the abnorm...

It really depends on what kind. Per the "recommended" attire, jeans are permitted on cruise casual evenings but not on cruise elegant evenings. However, I have seen men wearing a nice pair of jeans and a blazer on an elegant evening with no problem. It states that shorts are not permitted but I believe that it focused more on gym shorts or khaki shorts. Again, I have seen men wearing nice dress shorts and a polo shirt on cruise casual evenings with no problems.

Enforcement of the dress code is lax and rarely enforced on cruise casual evenings. It is enforced more on cruise elegant evenings, but as I stated above, I have seen the jeans/blazer combo on cruise elegant evenings and it looked better than what some of the other guests were wearing.

RdP :)

If I wear a floor length gown on cruise elegant night, am I going to stick out like a sore thumb? The fact that they sometimes let people with jeans in the dining room that night is making me reconsider my plan.....

Not at all. More people dress up than others, especially the women. There are men that will wear a full tuxedo.

If I wear a floor length gown on cruise elegant night, am I going to stick out like a sore thumb? The fact that they sometimes let people with jeans in the dining room that night is making me reconsider my plan.....

If that makes you happy then by all means get all decked out in your fancy gown. There will be others that are dressed to the nines. There will be a wide range of dress from what I call church dresses to full length gowns. A lot of women will be in the Cocktail type clothes.

OK good. I'm excited to have an excuse to get all dressed up. :)

Good! Don't be one of those cruisers that allows the uncontrollable actions of others to ruin your cruise. If you want to dress up, go for it. Don't let what others are doing make you change what you want to do. :)

RdP :)

The DS was asked politely to remove his backward baseball cap at dinner one night! Yea! I didn't argue with him about not wearing it even though I had told him it was improper...he was so embarrassed:o:o:o...I resisted the urge to say, "I told you so!":D He was 16 at the time.

The DH was once not allowed into the MDR even though he was just going in to let me know his and the DS's excursion had run long and that they were going to be a few minutes late to meet me. He was still wearing his shorts. And no, it wasn't on a dress up night.

So the answer is, they do sometimes enforce the dress code, so dress according to the cruise ship's suggestions and you'll never go wrong.

You will see everything on dress up night from men in dress shorts and golf-type shirts to men in tuxedos...especially if people are celebrating some special event such as an onboard wedding, or anniversary party, for example. Women wear everything from sundresses to long, formal gowns. I always wear whatever the mood strikes me to wear as long as it's within the ship's dress code.:D

The DS was asked politely to remove his backward baseball cap at dinner one night! Yea! I didn't argue with him about not wearing it even though I had told him it was improper...he was so embarrassed:o:o:o...I resisted the urge to say, "I told you so!":D He was 16 at the time.

The DH was once not allowed into the MDR even though he was just going in to let me know his and the DS's excursion had run long and that they were going to be a few minutes late to meet me. He was still wearing his shorts. And no, it wasn't on a dress up night.

So the answer is, they do sometimes enforce the dress code, so dress according to the cruise ship's suggestions and you'll never go wrong.

You will see everything on dress up night from men in dress shorts and golf-type shirts to men in tuxedos...especially if people are celebrating some special event such as an onboard wedding, or anniversary party, for example. Women wear everything from sundresses to long, formal gowns. I always wear whatever the mood strikes me to wear as long as it's within the ship's dress code.:D

They wouldn't let your DH into the dining room in shorts on a cruise casual night? Shorts are allowed so I don't see what the problem was? Did he have a sleeveless shirt on or something ?

Bill

They wouldn't let your DH into the dining room in shorts on a cruise casual night? Shorts are allowed so I don't see what the problem was? Did he have a sleeveless shirt on or something ?

Bill

Good point...it must have been on dress up night and I'm having a "Senior Moment!" Please forgive!:o

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long)

Lol well that speaks to my reading comprehension skills!

Though I do think its confusing that it then says under what's not allowed on cruise casual nights for ladies and gentlemen: shorts.

Yes shorts are permitted except on elegant nights.

This is correct. Shorts are permitted in the MDR on cruise casual nights but not on the Elegant nights. I was behind a couple in the Anytime Dining line on the second Elegant night on the Pride last week when they were given their "beeper" for the specific table they requested. As they were being handed their "beeper", they were told that they had time to go back to their cabin so that the man could change out of his shorts and into long pants. This fellow refused and they promptly handed the beeper back to the hostess and left.

Shorts are never allowed in the Steakhouse, not even on Embarkation night (cruise casual) even if your luggage hasn't arrived--I know this firsthand, as this happened to my son when we were on the Dream.