COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

Well, I seriously doubt that! Regal Princess will, as did the Royal, do at least a month's worth of paying passenger boarded sailings from ports in Italy and other European ports, concluding with a sailing from Southampton, England (more than likely) to the USA! (FLL) PRIOR to any official passenger boarded sailings, the ship must be christened / named in an official ceremony. As is typical with S. Florida cruise/vacation writers in the local press, they know very little about their "calling" and I would suggest they study a bit more before they blurt out articles that are not researched. Regal Princess will NOT be christened in Fort Lauderdale unless she sails EMPTY from her release from Monfalcone through a series of European sailings, and the much awaited trans Atlantic from the UK to Florida. Yeah, right! Can you see any profit oriented company wasting those opportunities to gather passenger revenue just to ensure that a S. FL "travel editorialist" keeps face????? Or did I miss something in searching through a ton of words to fine a 2.5 line mention of this topic of the Regal?????

Unless a whole bunch of us are booked on the wrong cruise, we are on the TA from Venice to FLL.

Yes it's quite apparent that journalist got the information incorrect.

Caroline Spencer Brown, editor in chief of our own Cruise Critic :) was selected and fulfilled the roll of Madrina, Godmother for the float-Out ceremony of the Regal Princess on March 26, 2013. I believe the Regal's first sailing with passengers will be this upcoming May 20th out of Venice, Italy. Will there be another official Christening ceremony before that date?? Will Ms. Brown be the official Madrina of the Regal???

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/03/Princess-Cruises-Celebrates-Float-Out-of-Regal-Princess.html

scampi

Unless a whole bunch of us are booked on the wrong cruise, we are on the TA from Venice to FLL.

I think someone else is misinformed regarding the plan for the Regal Princess. She is still making Mediterranean voyages until the end of October then on the 17th she is sailing with Ethel,myself, my wife and her cousins from Venice to FLL on the Inaugural TransAtlantic Voyage.

Yes it's quite apparent that journalist got the information incorrect.

Caroline Spencer Brown, editor in chief of our own Cruise Critic :) was selected and fulfilled the roll of Madrina, Godmother for the float-Out ceremony of the Regal Princess on March 26, 2013. I believe the Regal's first sailing with passengers will be this upcoming May 20th out of Venice, Italy. Will there be another official Christening ceremony before that date?? Will Ms. Brown be the official Madrina of the Regal???

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/03/Princess-Cruises-Celebrates-Float-Out-of-Regal-Princess.html

scampi

No, Ms. Brown will not be the Regal's godmother... at this point, it is a player to be named later. :p

I found this posted on the Royal/Regal Obstructed View Balconies thread by “gailjen”

“I'm looking at booking The Regal Princess for Aug in the Med, I took some footage of Royal last year when we were on Carnival Sunshine, hope this might help people with balcony questions.”

There are great views of the Emerald deck obstructed balconies. Here is the link to the thread too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808632

Pat

Not an urgent question but this seems to be the knowledgeable group. I am sailing aboard the Regal in July with my 16 year old. She is very excited about the outdoor teen area and dedicated hot tub (and I know adults will be too so the teens are out of the way a bit). But now that they've added the new dunk pool in the aft area, it appears they have taken away the outdoor space for the younger teens (where they had the ping pong tables and lounge space for them on the Royal). I'm wondering if that will just displace the 11-15 year old kids around the ship, or if they'll give them access to the older teens space, which would be a challenge because 11 year olds and 17 year olds have different interests. Anyone have ideas if the younger teens still have dedicated outdoor space of any kind?

Edited by POregon
clarity

I found this posted on the Royal/Regal Obstructed View Balconies thread by “gailjen”

“I'm looking at booking The Regal Princess for Aug in the Med, I took some footage of Royal last year when we were on Carnival Sunshine, hope this might help people with balcony questions.”

There are great views of the Emerald deck obstructed balconies. Here is the link to the thread too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808632

Pat

Thanks for this, Pat. I watched the docking and could see the opposite side of where my Emerald deck room is on the Royal (I was on Port side in E420). My room was advertised as partially obstructed and I had a great view (unless I looked straight down....and how many of you do that???) I looked very carefully at the deck plans and made my cabin decision based on what I saw and "guessed" what "obstructed" meant. I won!!! The room was great, the balcony was larger than my D440 balcony, and my view was wonderful!!

Thanks for this, Pat. I watched the docking and could see the opposite side of where my Emerald deck room is on the Royal (I was on Port side in E420). My room was advertised as partially obstructed and I had a great view (unless I looked straight down....and how many of you do that???) I looked very carefully at the deck plans and made my cabin decision based on what I saw and "guessed" what "obstructed" meant. I won!!! The room was great, the balcony was larger than my D440 balcony, and my view was wonderful!!

I though this might be of help to some... after watching it I realize that my choice of E412 is a great choice, it's angled, looking aft, over the promenade sitting area. You are so right about looking straight down...DUH 😀

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I though this might be of help to some... after watching it I realize that my choice of E412 is a great choice, it's angled, looking aft, over the promenade sitting area. You are so right about looking straight down...DUH

I think you will enjoy E412. You will be in exactly the same type of cabin that I was in, except you'll be facing in the opposite direction. So what!!! Depends on which way the wind blows! ;)

We now have a Cabin Crawl coordinator. Kay, from the Royal cruise, has graciously volunteered to organize/lead the Cabin Crawl. So now I need to advertise and get folks to let me know if they wish to (1) volunteer their cabin for the crawl, and (2) be part of the crawl and go along for the ride! :D

I think you will enjoy E412. You will be in exactly the same type of cabin that I was in, except you'll be facing in the opposite direction. So what!!! Depends on which way the wind blows! ;)

We now have a Cabin Crawl coordinator. Kay, from the Royal cruise, has graciously volunteered to organize/lead the Cabin Crawl. So now I need to advertise and get folks to let me know if they wish to (1) volunteer their cabin for the crawl, and (2) be part of the crawl and go along for the ride! :D

Larry, you can add me and my cabin E412 ( Obstructed Deluxe Balcony) to the cabin crawl

POregon:

The Princess Cruises youth and teen program is divided into three groups:

Princess Pelicans (3-7 years old)

Shockwaves (8-12 years old)

Remix (13-17 years old)

The outdoor area for the middle group (Shockwaves) never materialized on the Royal Princess during construction of the ship, and Princess Cruises failed to update the deck plan when the ship was delivered. It was also never intended to materialize on Regal Princess. The Shockwaves indoor space is still there on both ships.

The Remix teen center still has their outdoor area. Kids from the middle group are not allowed to used the Remix areas unless granted permission my the Youth Counselors, and whether or not they grant that will determine on a lot of factors including how many 13-17yo kids are onboard. I wouldn't bet on your 11yo being allowed into Shockwaves if the number of kids exceeds the capacity of the facility.

All parents with children and teens participating in these programs are required to sign them up.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/registration/

Hope this helps.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Not an urgent question but this seems to be the knowledgeable group. I am sailing aboard the Regal in July with my []16 year old.[/ She is very excited about the outdoor teen area and dedicated hot tub (and I know adults will be too so the teens are out of the way a bit). But now that they've added the new dunk pool in the aft area, it appears they have taken away the outdoor space for the younger teens (where they had the ping pong tables and lounge space for them on the Royal). I'm wondering if that will just displace the 11-15 year old kids around the ship, or if they'll give them access to the older teens space, which would be a challenge because 11 year olds and 17 year olds have different interests. Anyone have ideas if the younger teens still have dedicated outdoor space of any kind?

POregon:

Remix (13-17 years old)

The outdoor area for the middle group (Shockwaves) never materialized on the Royal Princess during construction of the ship, and Princess Cruises failed to update the deck plan when the ship was delivered. It was also never intended to materialize on Regal Princess. The Shockwaves indoor space is still there on both ships.

The Remix teen center still has their outdoor area. Kids from the middle group are not allowed to used the Remix areas unless granted permission my the Youth Counselors, and whether or not they grant that will determine on a lot of factors including how many 13-17yo kids are onboard. I wouldn't bet on your 11yo being allowed into Shockwaves if the number of kids exceeds the capacity of the facility.

All parents with children and teens participating in these programs are required to sign them up.

Hope this helps.

Dave,

You need to get some sleep. ;)

The daughter in question is 16.

Also, I don't understand the underlined part of your post. I tried substituting Remix for Shockwaves but it still didn't make sense.

I think you were trying to say a young teen wouldn't be allowed into the older area because that would be too many kids in the room. :confused::confused::confused:

POregon:

Remix (13-17 years old)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, well familiar with the kids programs having been on all Princess cruises, and my 16 yr old daughter will be kind of glad to hear your update! We hear there are over 100 of the Remix age kids on our upcoming cruise. I didn't know that the outside space for the younger teens didn't materialize though...so thanks so much for that info! Very helpful. This thread is fantastic.

Dave,

You need to get some sleep. ;)

The daughter in question is 16.

Also, I don't understand the underlined part of your post. I tried substituting Remix for Shockwaves but it still didn't make sense.

I think you were trying to say a young teen wouldn't be allowed into the older area because that would be too many kids in the room. :confused::confused::confused:

Yep, can never get enough sleep. Working four weeks with one day off isn't conducive to intelligent responses. ;) I had just woken up and misread that there was an 11 year old and a 17 year old with different interest and thought maybe there were more kids involved.

The underlined part should have said that the Shockwaves kids wouldn't be allowed into the Remix center unless the Counselors authorized it. Basically what your correction implied about there being too many kids and the facility being over the maximum limit.

Now. Back to work.

;)

my 16 yr old daughter will be kind of glad to hear your update! We hear there are over 100 of the Remix age kids on our upcoming cruise.

In that age group, the kids often meet up the first evening and form groups of new friends who plan their own activities away from the kids center.

When I look at the ladder going into the pool and do some comparative reasoning, I'm still not convinced the pool is of significant size! :rolleyes:

Larry,

You're right. The pool looks tiny. Just large enough to dunk in and cool off. But it also looks like there's a very shallow wet area around it where you could sit in a couple inches of water and read, etc.

My concern when looking at the picture is that there seems to be only one entrance/exit ladder into the pool area and again one ladder into/out of the pool itself.

Still no shade, though! :(

Regal+Princess+Terrace+Pool.jpg

Edited by chamima

I did this comparison of the Regal and P&O Britannia aft area and Terrace Pools. There appears to be two ladders to access the Terrace Pool on the Regal. You can't have much of a pool on the Sun deck because the HC is below so the Terrace Pool needs to be above the deck.

Terrace+Pool+Comparisons.jpg

I did this comparison of the Regal and P&O Britannia aft area and Terrace Pools. There appears to be two ladders to access the Terrace Pool on the Regal. You can't have much of a pool on the Sun deck because the HC is below so the Terrace Pool needs to be above the deck.

Terrace+Pool+Comparisons.jpg

What I'm seeing is that the artist drawing (I'm guessing at that one) post card picture of the pool shows the ladder at the 12 o'clock position. The comparison deck plans shows the ladders at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. So there is obviously something a bit amiss! :confused: <scratching head> :)

What I'm seeing is that the artist drawing (I'm guessing at that one) post card picture of the pool shows the ladder at the 12 o'clock position. The comparison deck plans shows the ladders at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. So there is obviously something a bit amiss! :confused: <scratching head> :)
Don't scratch your head too much :eek: If you look at the rendering/photo and the deck plan, there are two ladders to access the pool area at around 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and one ladder to access the deeper section of the pool at 12 o'clock.

Well, it looks better than I feared; not as good as I'd hoped. But, it's certainly better than the no-pool on the Royal. At least it could be a nice and fun place to cool off while catchin' some rays on that sun deck, which was completely unused when we were on the Royal.