Teen in separate cabin question

orangegrove

We were looking at how low the Epic prices have gotten and have gotten the urge to book a cruise leaving in a couple of weeks. After our last cruise over Christmas we decided that the next cruise we have we would allow our teenage son to have his own room. He is over 6'2" now and he is no longer comfortable sleeping on the sofa bed. I am now the shortest in our family at 5'9" and believe you me I am not sleeping on the sofa! :D

Is it possible to book a studio room and we would take a room across the hall from the studio area? I know I would have to book the cabin because he is not 18 yet. I have read people switch cabins once on board. I was just curious. We were on the Epic's maiden Caribbean voyage in 2010 and we did a b2b so we all are familiar with the ship.

His friend and his cousin are not able to join us this trip so he would be by himself. As a teenager my sister and I would be in an inside cabin across the hall from my parents and we never had any problems. Thanks for any insight.

I'm not sure about the Epic studios as I've never been on it. I've booked my daughter across from me and also several rooms down. It was farther away then we thought but worked out. Since her last sailing NCL has made it so that you can put your children in a room across or beside you and not to the parent switching thing when you board. Again I haven't been on Epic so not sure how the studios work. I'd call NCL and ask. My PCC is very helpful.

We were looking at how low the Epic prices have gotten and have gotten the urge to book a cruise leaving in a couple of weeks. After our last cruise over Christmas we decided that the next cruise we have we would allow our teenage son to have his own room. He is over 6'2" now and he is no longer comfortable sleeping on the sofa bed. I am now the shortest in our family at 5'9" and believe you me I am not sleeping on the sofa! :D

Is it possible to book a studio room and we would take a room across the hall from the studio area? I know I would have to book the cabin because he is not 18 yet. I have read people switch cabins once on board. I was just curious. We were on the Epic's maiden Caribbean voyage in 2010 and we did a b2b so we all are familiar with the ship.

His friend and his cousin are not able to join us this trip so he would be by himself. As a teenager my sister and I would be in an inside cabin across the hall from my parents and we never had any problems. Thanks for any insight.

I would not recommend that. Although you may do it without getting caught, if you get caught you may be forced to keep him in your room, or worse. Since only one card could be programed for the studio cabin, they would absolutely know what you were trying to do at guest relations, and even if they didn't figure it out, you would be granting your under aged son to an area that you can not get to and in effect are locked out of.

I would not put my 18 year old in a section of the ship that I don't have access to, whether it be the studios or the Haven...... The studios are set up like a Haven situation and you will not be able to just walk down the hall and knock on your son's door.

Also, although I am sure your son is excellent, we all know that children do things on ships that they are not supposed to whether it is drinking or anything else, if he drank too much, or passed out on the couch in the lounge or argued with the someone in the studio lounge (even if the other passenger is at fault), if the ship figures out that you took it upon yourself to put him in a room by himself in a restricted area and not adjacent to your room that is grounds for being disembarked.

I would recommend an inside right near mom and dad:)

Edited by cherylroslyn

I would not recommend that. Although you may do it without getting caught, if you get caught you may be forced to keep him in your room, or worse. Since only one card could be programed for the studio cabin, they would absolutely know what you were trying to do at guest relations, and even if they didn't figure it out, you would be granting your under aged son to an area that you can not get to and in effect are locked out of.

I would not put my 18 year old in a section of the ship that I don't have access to, whether it be the studios or the Haven...... The studios are set up like a Haven situation and you will not be able to just walk down the hall and knock on your son's door.

Also, although I am sure your son is excellent, we all know that children do things on ships that they are not supposed to whether it is drinking or anything else, if he drank too much, or passed out on the couch in the lounge or argued with the someone in the studio lounge (even if the other passenger is at fault), if the ship figures out that you took it upon yourself to put him in a room by himself in a restricted area and not adjacent to your room that is grounds for being disembarked.

I'm not trying to circumvent things. I know kids have been in separate rooms without parents. I saw several on my last cruise. I'm sure not all those parents were circumventing the system. I just thought the Studio area was unlocked but only the lounge area of the Studio area was locked up. I just can't remember how the layout was. I looked at the map and the rooms that are available are only a few feet from the balcony rooms that we would be in. What's the difference if he is allowed in an inside by himself vs. a studio except the cost. The studio is half the cost of the inside and only 10 feet more away.

I will give NCL a call and see what their suggestion is.

Edited by orangegrove
added NCL call info

The studio cabins are all accessed by an inner corridor, they might be "right across the hall" from a balcony cabin but the only way to get to them is from either end of the corridor with key card access.

When you look at the deck plan, on deck 11 the only access points for the studios on the main hall are through the Studio Lounge and at the other end by the aft elevator banks.

The studio cabins are all accessed by an inner corridor, they might be "right across the hall" from a balcony cabin but the only way to get to them is from either end of the corridor with key card access.

When you look at the deck plan, on deck 11 the only access points for the studios on the main hall are through the Studio Lounge and at the other end by the aft elevator banks.

Oh, ok. I could not remember that they were locked since we were not staying in them. I did just fake book an inside for one person and even though it stated the rate was double in the preview the cost is only $120 more. I would not like that I can't get to his room. So he gets an inside and we get our own room for the first time in many, many years! :D

I believe that you will still need to book an adult over 21 in that inside room then switch once on the ship. That's what we did on the Jewel when we put my 17 and 15yo in an inside room across the hall from us.

Why not? When I was 18 I flew to LA, Vegas, and went to DC all the time by myself. What would be the problem with having an 18 year old wondering around an enclosed ship that you can't get off of without risk of death except when it stops in ports. Also so what if the 18-year old drinks, god forbid! I don't know what I would have done without underage drinking, and I came out just fine.

I believe that you will still need to book an adult over 21 in that inside room then switch once on the ship. That's what we did on the Jewel when we put my 17 and 15yo in an inside room across the hall from us.

Correct.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Why not? When I was 18 I flew to LA, Vegas, and went to DC all the time by myself. What would be the problem with having an 18 year old wondering around an enclosed ship that you can't get off of without risk of death except when it stops in ports. Also so what if the 18-year old drinks, god forbid! I don't know what I would have done without underage drinking, and I came out just fine.

The OP said he was NOT 18. Big responsibility for NCL if something did happen to him.

A couple of years ago I read a review from a teen (I think he was 15) who cruised on Epic with his parents.

They booked a balcony cabin and a studio close to each other in the AFT area. The parents stayed in the balcony cabin and the teen in the studio.

There is entry door to Studios from the AFT corridor on decks 11 and 12. No need to enter via the Studio lounge.

Get one cabin for one adult and one teen, and the studio for the other adult. Example studio #s are 11566-11577 and 12570-12579.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bluesea777

Just to update everyone I called NCL and I booked our cabins for next month! Whoo Hoo! NCL now offers single supplements on inside cabins! Which is why I was getting a lower rate than the preview. We got cabin #11312 and #11310! It is in the aft and 11312 has a huge balcony! :D

The deals they have for next month are awesome! It is costing us 1/3 the price we paid for the Epic back in 2010 and we have 2 cabins and one is a balcony! I'm stoked. Ready to plan my excursions and call my dog sitter! :p

Just to update everyone I called NCL and I booked our cabins for next month! Whoo Hoo! NCL now offers single supplements on inside cabins! Which is why I was getting a lower rate than the preview. We got cabin #11312 and #11310! It is in the aft and 11312 has a huge balcony! :D

The deals they have for next month are awesome! It is costing us 1/3 the price we paid for the Epic back in 2010 and we have 2 cabins and one is a balcony! I'm stoked. Ready to plan my excursions and call my dog sitter! :p

That's GREAT!!

I thought I'll let you in that 11312 has a drop down Pullman bed from ceiling ....

But having 2 cabins is a lot better than one!

ENJOY the cruise!

Edited by bluesea777

FYI, I did have to book my husband in the inside cabin because my son is not 21. She said once we get on board we can change the keys around. She did this with her teenage son and had no problems. Sunshine and froo froo cocktails here we come! :p

OH, and another big whoo hoo...we become Platinum during this cruise!

Edited by orangegrove

Yes Mike you do need to book another Epic Adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be a while. My oldest is in college now, and my youngest is in 7th grade. I'll likely be broke for the next 10 years. :p

Edited by sdmike

We are travelling with our 19 year old son on the Getaway and our TA has us booked in a balcony and him across the hall in a studio. She did say that my name had to go on the studio where he was under 21. Other than that until I say this thread I never gave it a second thought.
I'm interested to know the cabin numbers, because in looking at the deck plans, the studio cabins have their own interior hallways. It might appear to be across the hall, but the doors might not be anywhere near each other. (I think).