Still crowded on ship on port days?

I'm not sure how much time we will be spending in the Falmouth and Labadee ports, but we wanted to look at some of that time to take advantage of the usual crowded spots on the ship (flo rider, ice skating, rock climbing, etc.). Have you found it to be still just as crowded in port days?

oh and FYI - most of this would be for the 2 littles we have with us, 7 and 3 yr old.

We love spending time on board during port days if it's a port we aren't really interested in or have been to several times already. It's definitely less busy on board than sea days but there are still numerous people with the same idea. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm not sure how much time we will be spending in the Falmouth and Labadee ports, but we wanted to look at some of that time to take advantage of the usual crowded spots on the ship (flo rider, ice skating, rock climbing, etc.). Have you found it to be still just as crowded in port days?

oh and FYI - most of this would be for the 2 littles we have with us, 7 and 3 yr old.

Not all of these activities will be open/available all day when the ship is in port.

Some will have shorter hours or no open hours during port time.

Skating times are relatively restricted anyway, so you will have to consult your Cruise Compass for that information.

Bottom line: I never find the ship crowded, but in port, it will definitely have very few passengers on board.

Not all of these activities will be open/available all day when the ship is in port.

Some will have shorter hours or no open hours during port time.

Skating times are relatively restricted anyway, so you will have to consult your Cruise Compass for that information.

Bottom line: I never find the ship crowded, but in port, it will definitely have very few passengers on board.

awesome! i had heard that there's not much to do in falmouth (am i wrong?) with little ones and i don't want to take the hour bus ride to ocho rios (which is what i believe i have read it was), so i'm not sure what there is to do in that port aside from shopping...

awesome! i had heard that there's not much to do in falmouth (am i wrong?) with little ones and i don't want to take the hour bus ride to ocho rios (which is what i believe i have read it was), so i'm not sure what there is to do in that port aside from shopping...

I have to agree with that assessment of Falmouth for little ones, unless you want to shell out big bucks for a day at a local resort. But you can get most of that by staying on the ship! :D

You'll have to check your cruise compass to see what's open.

Your kids are too little for the flow rider, but that was blocked off for private lessons for at least one of our port days. As already noted, ice skating times are limited, more so than the flow rider and climbing wall.

We found the climbing wall had long lines our first sea day, but not our second. Our kids did multiple turns with little to no wait.

Before I booked this cruise, I had really hoped Falmouth had the dolphin excursion or encounter because I know my kids would LOVE that! The first cruise we went on 7 yrs ago was to Ocho Rios and we did it then. However, it seems there is nothing fun for the littles like that in Falmouth... :(

Edited by AtlFamilyof4

Before I booked this cruise, I had really hoped Falmouth had the dolphin excursion or encounter because I know my kids would LOVE that! The first cruise we went on 7 yrs ago was to Ocho Rios and we did it then. However, it seems there is nothing fun for the littles like that in Falmouth... :(

If you don't mind a bus ride, excursions in Ocho Rios are available for passengers landing in Falmouth.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=OA07W110&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=FY23&DestinationCode=CARIB

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=OA07W110&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=FY22&DestinationCode=CARIB

Edited by Merion_Mom

Unfortunately, when I look at the excursions available for my sailing, the dolphin combo isn't one of the options... only the dolphin trek, and my kids aren't old enough for the minimum req't. But this excursion you linked to is the exact one my husband and I did several years ago.

Edited by AtlFamilyof4

Do both! When we were on Oasis a few years back we came back early after a few hours in Nassau. My daughter and I had the flow rider two ourselves for almost an hour. We were so tired after going so many times in a row. It was a blast.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by rogers417

You'll have to check your cruise compass to see what's open.

Your kids are too little for the flow rider, but that was blocked off for private lessons for at least one of our port days. As already noted, ice skating times are limited, more so than the flow rider and climbing wall.

We found the climbing wall had long lines our first sea day, but not our second. Our kids did multiple turns with little to no wait.

Unfortunately, this I know... :( He will, however, want to watch my husband attempt it!

Do both! When we were on Oasis a few years back we came back early after a few hours in Nassau. My daughter and I had the flow rider two ourselves for almost an hour. We were so tired after going so many times in a row. It was a blast.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

and we will probably end up doing the same also. what we have done in the past and it was just the two of us has been to get off for a while and either come back for lunch or dinner and not stay the whole time; I imagine with what everybody has been posting about how much the beach day at Labadee has changed that we may not be staying long there either :confused:

Nope, just a sparse crowd.

I remember when we were married onboard in Juneau. It reminded me of one of those late night SiFi movies where everyone on the planet were suddenly missing. There were no passengers.....but few staff about except for guest services. GREAT for wedding pics....we were everywhere and never had to dodge people.

We love staying on board at the ports we don't care for (most notably Nassau and anywhere in Jamaica). There's abundant seating right around the pool, the pool is sparsely populated, and the ship is nice and quiet. Perfect conditions for some inexpensive relaxation!

We love staying on board at the ports we don't care for (most notably Nassau and anywhere in Jamaica). There's abundant seating right around the pool, the pool is sparsely populated, and the ship is nice and quiet. Perfect conditions for some inexpensive relaxation!

The unoccupied pool would be awesome, so maybe my kids will enjoy the pool as much (or over) the beach

The ships are ALWAYS less crowded on port days.