Honouring price drops.

SHAZA0208

Am I being bamboozled?

Spotted a huge price drop for my category on Ad.of Seas August 3rd sailing out of Southhampton which is within the time limit for promo discounts to still be applied.

Just been told by person on phone that the lower price is a web mistake and that it will take the technicians 2 days before they can rectify the mistake!

When I asked what happens to customers who try to book the displayed price online she answered that she didn't know!

I insisted on having a second opinion and was then told that the new prices are for new bookings only and that RCI do not honour price drops.

Any info to put me in the know?

Thanks.

Being in the UK, I am guessing that you have booked in the UK.

Pretty much the only option is to cancel your cruise (and lose your deposit) and then rebook.

It is worth doing if the savings outweigh the lost deposit and you may not be able to get the same cabin.

We always book with a US agent to avoid this happening - the US price drops are not always given but some drops are better than none in the UK

Thanks for your reply.

For next time, how do I book with a US agent or do I book with the US website?

Is there a difference?

Thanks.

I don´t think you can book on the RCI US Website not being from Northamerica, so likely you Need to find a good US TA, at least that´s how it worked in the past. Now that I have my US TA I haven´t looked into booking directly anymore, but as a protection of their Europe department I doubt they´ll let you book directly, just as many lines try to discourage People from booking via US TA´s.

Most of the US sites will not allow us to book from the UK, and we are not allowed to mention travel agents on here.

We were lucky in meeting, and becoming good friends with, our agent on a cruise in 2007. We are off to stay with her in Seattle in August before coming home on the Oasis.

There are differences. The prices are usually similar but US guests can cancel and not lose their deposit or swap from one cruise to another without cost. US agents will often give extras such as obc, paid gratuities, speciality restaurants or spa treatments.

There is no ABTA or ATOL cover when booking in the US.

When you are next on board ask fellow travellers for recommendations.

Edited by SadmanCruiser

The second piece of info that you were given was probably correct and unfortunately being from across the pond you have to play by a whole set of more restrictive rules.

to bad, they will not honour it.:(:(

Edited by Folk Singer

Living in Sweden, on one occasion seven years ago I booked on the RC US website, but the booking was promptly tranferred to the Nordic office and subject to their rules. Same if you make an on-board booking, it will be assigned to the RC office in the area that you reside in.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I don´t think you can book on the RCI US Website not being from Northamerica, so likely you Need to find a good US TA, at least that´s how it worked in the past. Now that I have my US TA I haven´t looked into booking directly anymore, but as a protection of their Europe department I doubt they´ll let you book directly, just as many lines try to discourage People from booking via US TA´s.

We used an online company which its name I understand I can not quote, to find a TA in the US who gave us an offer better than we got in our own country and we got lots of on-board spending money (I think that the major difference between TA's is On-board cash).

Anyway, it was fast, and we saw the reservation on the RC site a few minutes after we transferred the deposit.

Edited by afzeluches123

I read these comments a lot and am curious. What are the differences of booking in the UK, and anyone know why? Here in the U.S. we never have issues with price drops before final payment, canceling before final payment, etc. Is the difference an Royal Caribbean rule or a UK rule? Seems really arbitrary.

I read these comments a lot and am curious. What are the differences of booking in the UK, and anyone know why? Here in the U.S. we never have issues with price drops before final payment, canceling before final payment, etc. Is the difference an Royal Caribbean rule or a UK rule? Seems really arbitrary.

A bit of each I would say.

First there are different consumer laws in place and they can vary greatly from country to Country.

Then the cruise line caters to different markets and set different rules and different pricing to different markets. Of course within the Point of the different markets there´s also the part of how the industry works in a Country or in other words what your competitors do.

In many european countries you have to pay a non-refundable deposit at the time of booking, so the Penalty timeline sets right in. In Exchange bookings are often seen as a package and flights even when booked outside the cruiseline are seen as part of the package. YOu are also protected against bankrupcy of the cruise line and there´s other travel protections in place, like payments by Airlines for delays/cancellations (restirctions do apply).

Feeling a lot better after reading your info all!

You're right, I don't know why everything over here is so difficult.

On previous cruises with Carnival I received a fair amount of $$$ in obc. This was because I was able to book Carnival.com and was able to keep check and apply for the obc by filing in their online form.

There were other passengers on the roll call who had booked using Carnival UK who did not receive any obc when a price drop occurred.

Whilst I know in the past you could not book from UK with the US office (I am originally from Uk now residing in USA) I did notice the other day when I was looking for a number on their US site contact page that they now list a US number for international travelers to reserve cruises. I don't know if using UK site it would show up. Maybe try switching to the US site, put a hold on a cruise you like and call the international number to book.

I think this has been a relatively recent addition as I always have to go look up C+A number to call them and this side of the new year was the first time I had seen it listed.

Upon booking a cruise by phone with the Nordic and Baltic office of RC a couple of days ago, I was advisoed by the agent that RC is about to consolidate several of their current European offices (Nordic & Baltic, German, BeNeLux) to a location in the Netherlands. Don't know if this might also apply to the UK office.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Whilst I know in the past you could not book from UK with the US office (I am originally from Uk now residing in USA) I did notice the other day when I was looking for a number on their US site contact page that they now list a US number for international travelers to reserve cruises. I don't know if using UK site it would show up. Maybe try switching to the US site, put a hold on a cruise you like and call the international number to book.

I think this has been a relatively recent addition as I always have to go look up C+A number to call them and this side of the new year was the first time I had seen it listed.

I'm on the case.

I have 4 cabins booked- 2 of them balconies so money off or obc would be nice.

I noticed your name. I'm from the Tottenham area!

Lots of different things can come into play here, ie: did you buy insurance? What you might try, if you have the funds to do it, is transfer your' current cruise reservation to another cruise that you would like to take and make a new ressie for the discounted rate on this cruise you are booked on now. Maybe not lose your' deposit that way.Good luck.

I'm on the case.

I have 4 cabins booked- 2 of them balconies so money off or obc would be nice.

I noticed your name. I'm from the Tottenham area!

I hope it works for you. Let us know how you get on. I am sure there are lots of UK passengers that would appreciate the feedback.

Hope you got on better than my team did today:eek:

Lots of different things can come into play here, ie: did you buy insurance? What you might try, if you have the funds to do it, is transfer your' current cruise reservation to another cruise that you would like to take and make a new ressie for the discounted rate on this cruise you are booked on now. Maybe not lose your' deposit that way.Good luck.

If she moves it to another cruise, she will most likely have to pay an admin fee per person (another rules that is only apparent over here ;)).

OP, try ringing again to see if you get a different answer or could possibly upgrade. This appears to be the new way of avoiding price drops: ensure all prices stated quote for new bookings only. As others have said, try booking via the US next time. A good place to find info is at the M&Ms ;).

Unfortunately, our team didn't do too well today either :(.

We are from UK and will be sailing on Indy in September this year.

We booked our cruise about 4 weeks ago for the WOW deal currently offer (£500 off / free parking at Southampton / free soda for kids).

We noticed on Friday that there was an additional offer as part of the WOW deal for this week only (Balcony cabins at the same price as ocean view and $200 obc).

I called our (UK) agent on Friday night and he said he would speak to Royal and come back to me.

Got a call yesterday confirming he had secured a £300 discount on our balcony cabin and the $200 obc for us.

It just so happened on Saturday at our local shopping centre there was a cruise fayre. We stopped by and spoke to the RC rep, and she said your agent and RC should be able to honour price drops / additional extras (like the obc) so long as the deal is current.

I am not sure if our agent is just particularly helpful or the fact that we booked when the current WOW deal was out and this has been enchanced, but we are made up to be able to get the discount and obc.

We are from UK and will be sailing on Indy in September this year.

We booked our cruise about 4 weeks ago for the WOW deal currently offer (£500 off / free parking at Southampton / free soda for kids).

We noticed on Friday that there was an additional offer as part of the WOW deal for this week only (Balcony cabins at the same price as ocean view and $200 obc).

I called our (UK) agent on Friday night and he said he would speak to Royal and come back to me.

Got a call yesterday confirming he had secured a £300 discount on our balcony cabin and the $200 obc for us.

It just so happened on Saturday at our local shopping centre there was a cruise fayre. We stopped by and spoke to the RC rep, and she said your agent and RC should be able to honour price drops / additional extras (like the obc) so long as the deal is current.

I am not sure if our agent is just particularly helpful or the fact that we booked when the current WOW deal was out and this has been enchanced, but we are made up to be able to get the discount and obc.

good. enjoy your cruise.:):)

Didn't buy insurance already have it automatically through my bank.

A good idea about transferring the reservation, unfortunately there are time constraints with members of the party being unable to travel at any other time.

OP, try ringing again to see if you get a different answer or could possibly upgrade. This appears to be the new way of avoiding price drops: ensure all prices stated quote for new bookings only. As others have said, try booking via the US next time. A good place to find info is at the M&Ms

My response:

I like this idea - going to try and upgrade.

All price stated are for new bookings. That's what made me so angry, customer services telling me that the website was quoting the wrong fare and the technicians were looking into it!

To wwright261

This info has definitely caught my attention!

Will let you all know the outcome one way or another.

Thank you all so far.:)

I am from the UK and had no problems booking through the US website.

We booked 3 PR cabins on the FOS in October

I put a hold on the US website but I did have to phone because I wanted to put 2 kids in a connecting cabin

I phoned the international booking number for outside the US no problem

Price in $$ and all the US perks

no loss of deposit if cancelled before final payment,

price drops and upgrades if available ( not a chance because we only paid $900 for a PR cabin and had a $65 savings certificate applied)

We do forfeit the ABTA protection if RCI go belly up but I paid with a credit card and paid £35 insurance to cover us so need to worry about ABTA

Flights are covered by ATOL so are protected because we fly from within the EU

It has definitely been worth it for us to book through the US instead of the UK website

I put a hold on the US website but I did have to phone because I wanted to put 2 kids in a connecting cabin

price drops and upgrades if available ( not a chance because we only paid $900 for a PR cabin and had a $65 savings certificate applied)

We do forfeit the ABTA protection if RCI go belly up but I paid with a credit card and paid £35 insurance to cover us so need to worry about ABTA

It has definitely been worth it for us to book through the US instead of the UK website

Thank you for putting me in the know. I'll get it right next time!

Not giving up yet.

Good to know. as we will be over in the UK looking for a trip back.