Three Queens celebration May 9th

Camgirl

Finally some news from Southampton.

There will be a firework display at 10pm as the ships sail. I am glad I am early sitting for dinner :)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/11140138.Search_for_youngster_to_be_part_of_QM2_s_tenth_birthday_celebrations/

Thanks for that lanky lad. I wonder what the ship's will do before leaving at 10 if they are supposed to be leaving the dockside at 4.30?

Finally some news from Southampton.

There will be a firework display at 10pm as the ships sail. I am glad I am early sitting for dinner :)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/11140138.Search_for_youngster_to_be_part_of_QM2_s_tenth_birthday_celebrations/

How convenient!!! Cunard has moved the day that the QM2 became the flagship of the line to May 9. On May 1, 2004 the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and QUEEN MARY 2 landed in Southampton after the first ever Tandem Crossing from New York. The two Cunarders left the Big Apple on April 25 for the QM2's maiden east-bound transatlantic journey. Then on May Day evening the QM2 left Southampton for New York as the flagship of Cunard, or so we were told!

Edited by Calliope

I really don't understand why Cunard has been so coy over telling us what is happening.

As far as I understand it we are still scheduled to leave at 4.30 pm :confused::confused::confused:.

Must admit I will be relieved if the departure is delayed since I understand that there are roadworks in Southampton which are making journeys to the ships very slow and difficult. With all three Queens (plus I believe at least one other ship) in port on the same day I am anticipating a nightmare journey from the Premier Inn on the day.

We are using a company who is supposed to meet us at the Quay to take our car away to a remote location for the duration of our holiday. I have no idea what time we should say we will arrive at the dock. We have been given a time of 12.30pm to check in but whether we will be able to get there remains to be seen.

We're on board the QE at the moment and the Captain at the cocktail party confirmed that all 3 ships are meeting in Lisbon and upon arrival at approx 5am the ships whistles will be sounded and balloons released etc. An early start for everyone on board and Lisbon!! QE and QV will be moored nose to nose with the QM2 passing by and mooring nearby.

We will all sail away together heading back to Southampton which will be lovely.

Southampton is used to cruise traffic it just flows there are overhead signs lit up saying which lane,gate for which ships

Don't worry I know that is hard not too but be assured the car co has done it before. I believe you said you were out at the airport someone else said it is less than 20 mins drive from air to dock

If you are really worried then change your premier inn reservation to the quay one and that is 10 mins tops from door to door.

That article says work starts on the M27 in July 2014 until march 2015.

Are there other road works in Southampton itself?

There were roadworks and massive congestion outside dock gate 4 last year and early this but according to Southampton Council they aren't ongoing except occasionally, whatever that means. I'm there on Monday and am not expecting any delays. Time will tell of course. These were much more difficult to avoid than any on the M27, just don't go on it where it is affected would be my advice.

Edited by capnpugwash

Hopefully with only two ships in, it won't be too bad.

That's the problem, Cap'n. There will be five ships in port on May 9. The three Cunard Queens, P&O's ARCADIA, and at the "fruit shed" HAL's ROTTERDAM will be visiting for the day. Also with Phillip coming to call, I foresee a bit of a mess.

W are flying down from glasgow and taking train into city centre. We need to pick up supplies(only 20kg allowance so no room for shampoo due to shoes). But having spent some time in Southampton, we may just walk to port unless of course it is raining 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

I stayed in london before and took a car in SOuthampton embarkation day. This time I'm staying in Southampton the night before. Now I'm glad I chose this option!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camgirl, join Queen Elizabeth on May 9th, sail to hamburg then fly back on the Sunday morning. I'm sure there must be some way you can offload some suitcases so you have little enough for the flight. We are on QE, we did the jubilee 3 queens in 2012 and had a lovely view of the clouds from on board. Also onboard were the red arrows pilots..........

I stayed in london before and took a car in SOuthampton embarkation day. This time I'm staying in Southampton the night before. Now I'm glad I chose this option!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am doing this as well. Staying overnight at the White Star Tavern. What time do you think we will need to get a cab to the port? My room comes with breakfast so I should be well fortified! ;)

I am doing this as well. Staying overnight at the White Star Tavern. What time do you think we will need to get a cab to the port? My room comes with breakfast so I should be well fortified! ;)
You can have breakfast and then, if you wish, walk to the dock gate area (and slightly to the west) to see QM2 (2 minute walk).

You could also walk to the Town Quay (10 minutes walk) and from the far end (a car park, a further 5 minutes walk) see all three Cunard ships.

Then return to collect your cases, White Star Tavern to the Ocean Terminal is 1/3rd of a mile and takes five minutes walking.

Once you see how close it is, you may decide to walk back to the ship, depending on how many cases you have. With the one-way systems and traffic, walking might be quicker than a taxi! I wouldn't arrive much before 10.30-11.00 at the earliest.

See you on board QM2 :)

Edited by pepperrn

... White Star Tavern to the Ocean Terminal is 1/3rd of a mile and takes five minutes walking.
This picture:

QM2 ...seen from SOUTHAMPTON

Shows the QM2 (at the Ocean Terminal)... the blue umbrella and chairs in the middle of the photo are in Oxford Street where the White Star Tavern is located. This may give you an idea of the distance involved.

Of course a taxi might be easier with cases, and if it is raining :eek: .

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

This picture:

QM2 ...seen from SOUTHAMPTON

Shows the QM2 (at the Ocean Terminal)... the blue umbrella and chairs in the middle of the photo are in Oxford Street where the White Star Tavern is located. This may give you an idea of the distance involved.

Of course a taxi might be easier with cases, and if it is raining :eek: .

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pepper, you never fail! Why did I pick a hotel that was so far away, lol.:) The long range weather forecast for May 9 is overcast with a shower, daytime temperature of 60. Here's hoping its clear for the fireworks! :D

I'm staying at the Novotel the night before, is that within walking distance?

If the Queens are leaving till 10pm, does that mean QM2 will arrive later than usual in New York or will we make up time? Just concerned as I have a connecting flight to get out of JFK in the afternoon....:confused:

If the Queens are leaving till 10pm, does that mean QM2 will arrive later than usual in New York or will we make up time? Just concerned as I have a connecting flight to get out of JFK in the afternoon....:confused:

The scheduled arrival time in NYC will be as normal. QM2 is more than capable of making up any time if that is necessary, although I suspect this will only require a modest increase in normal cruising speed. She used to do the crossing in 6 days don't you know ;-)

Have a great crossing!

Eddie

Around 30 minutes (+?) walk... so I'd get a cab, dragging cases that distance; not the way to start a relaxing crossing, IMHO.

See you on board QM2 :)

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks Pepper, you never fail! Why did I pick a hotel that was so far away, lol.:)
Thank you :o , The White Star Tavern is a couple hundred feet or so from that blue umbrella and chairs seen in the photo.

If you go to google maps and search for Oxford Street Southampton, your hotel is on the corner of Oxford Street and Latimer Street (if I remember correctly). South from that is Dock Gate 4 and beyond that is Cunard Road where the Ocean Terminal is located. You can see how easy it is. Streetview will allow you to see some of the route. Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn