Question/Concern for first timer

Califor6

hello everyone - again, I'm a newbie to this forum as well as a possible first time cruiser. I'd like to hear from those experienced cruisers regarding this question/concern.....

after speaking in detail to a friend last night that has been on lots of cruisers....as she's giving me all of her insight and tips from her cruising experiences; the one main item that she brought up about going on a 4-night Mexico cruise with my young adult children n their friends - ages 23yr (2 girls) and 18yr (2 boys) was the reality of keeping safe both on and off the ship, in Mexico.

Knowing that Carnival Cruises are dubbed as 'party ships' for the younger adults - she told me about how she's seen in the past, younger adults, especially pretty girls, drinking and bringing attention to themself and possibly trouble (by either other passengers or crew members-when off duty). Are crew members 'allowed' to hang out with passengers, when off duty?

Also, needless to say, while docked in Mexico, the thought of any trouble that can happen, especially if drinking at a local bar. I was told that young cruisers can be 'target' by the locals.....2 young pretty girls and 18yr old boys, are a major concern of mine.

Although I understand this - it's questionable whether or not I can honestly make my young adult children UNDERSTAND the REAL possible danger that they need to be aware of.

Anyone witness or experience any such trouble on any cruisers? I'd like to hear from those with (serious) replies regarding this subject; have you seen, heard of or experienced any trouble. We are seriously considering whether this something that we should do with them or change our vacation plans.

THANKS

We sailed with a group of friends back in 2008. The kids', one girl and five boys, ranged in ages from 17 (40 days shy of 18) to 21. The two oldest kids were in college, the other four had just graduated from high school and were all starting college in two months.

In Cozumel, the kids, all six of them, wanted to go to Senor Frogs. No way were we going to let them go by themselves. Our whole group went together. The kids danced while the adults stood back and chaperoned. There was not going to be any arguing and the kids were told that either we go with them or they don't go. We made sure they understood that we trusted them all, but we did not trust others who may be overindulging or trying to take advantage of a group of young people.

We paid for the cruise, we were the parents, there were rules. The end.

Edited by stargate fan

2006 we cruised to Mexico with our then 16 & 18 yr olds. We stayed together in port always. But, turn your back for 1 second to look at a T-shirt and they both have tequila shots in their hands with the guy saying, "no-charge". Anyone in Mexico will sell them alcohol, we actually had the crew put a hold on our daughter's (18 yr old) S & S card so she couldn't leave the ship without us. She was pi$$ed cause guess what, she tried to sneak back off the ship.

I got a lot of flack on these boards for putting a hold on her card, people stating she was an adult and I couldn't keep her from doing what she wanted etc. BS, she was our responsibility and we wanted her and her brother to be safe.

Also know that any minors traveling with you are totally your responsibility. You will be held accountable if they get in trouble. There have been threads about families getting put off the ship due to the behavior of someone underage in their group.

I don't mean to scare anyone off, we love to cruise and have never had any issues with safety or security. But I would not be responsible for someone else's child in that situation unless I knew for sure they were well-behaved and trustworthy. Do your research.

Good for you for being a responsible parent. Wish there were more like us. (See my previous post about Cozumel and Senor Frogs.)

Here's my take on this. My DS is now 18 and was 17 (his friend was 18) the last time we cruised. I would not let these boys off on their own other than for a few minutes to shop in the same area that we were at. While they were out of our sight...they were offered drugs and pot. Even the DH and I over the years have been approached with such offers.

However, the main reason is not so much that I think people in foreign countries are all out to get our kids...I just don't want to ever take a chance that the kids wouldn't get back to the ship on time. That's my biggest worry.

Last Sumer we spent a week in Cabo at the SIL's timeshare condo. It was a gift to the DS for his HS graduation. He was 18 and took one of his good friends (another guy 19), and his girl friend who is also 18. In Mexico you can drink at 18. Yes, the kids went off on their own every night after we had dinner together. They are adults at 18 after all. Yes, they did all drink. But there was not one single instant where they had any problems at all. They were very protective of the girl friend and never let her out of their sight. They had such an amazing time that they want to go with us again this Sumer.

But when we cruise this summer, no way will I allow them to go off the ship without us. Sorry, not taking chances that they will not get back on the ship on time. Either because of their own fault or someone else's, i.e., traffic, etc. If the DS doesn't like it and won't commit to honoring our request (which I'm sure he will) then we won't go on a cruise. It's as simple as that.

The DS has been given lots of freedom on all our cruises while on board the ship since he was 9. Never, ever, did any kind of problem arise with strangers or staff members. As a matter of fact, the DS usually always made friends with various staff members on the ship.

I must say that, for as much as you can trust any teenager, I trust my kid and allow him a lot of freedom. He's proven over the years that, for the most part, he does make good choices and decisions. However, not always and that why no way he goes off the ship without us in port. His transgressions have mostly consisted of breaking curfew on one cruise and coming back to his cabin with his friend and two girls one time because his friend had forgotten his sale and sign card (whatever)- (we caught him red-handed, which we laugh about now). Both times, he had to face the consequences we had given him for breaking those rules.

Edited by mousey

thanks for info on Senior Frogs - just 'googled' it....but being just a bar, assuming only 18+ allowed?

In Mexico the drinking age is cash--if you have money you can drink. My 16 and 18 year olds both were served beer and tequila shots when we weren't looking. We were in a open air flea market and they snuck out to the bar next door.

1486002821_oldpics1512.jpg.88c87951bcfb196c8798973f6a343114.jpg

In Mexico the drinking age is cash--if you have money you can drink. My 16 and 18 year olds both were served beer and tequila shots when we weren't looking. We were in a open air flea market and they snuck out to the bar next door.

So true!:eek:

I have never witnessed anything like this. Our recent cruise on the Conquest was actually the rowdiest that we have probably ever seen, but it wasn't because of the young people--there were a lot of middle aged people who seemed to be having a very good time.

Staying safe, like others have said, involves common sense. A cruise is not any more dangerous than going to any other type of vacation. If you want an idea of what has already happened, check out cruise junkie's events at sea (careful, this may also scare you off cruising altogether). I'm sure that not all events are reported, but at least you have some kind of system for keeping track of this on cruise ships--I don't think you'll find the same sort of information for all-inclusive resorts or if you went on a land vacation the sort of things that happen at hotels, etc.

Thank you everyone, for sharing your thoughts, experiences and very good, detailed tips. Will be sharing with my hubby...as we make our decision by Friday, whether to book the cruise or not - if we can make the 'kids' understand how to have fun YET be aware and safe of POSSIBLE issues. I like the idea of just staying together in port - even if they don't like it. Don't care how old they are....tourist are tourist to the locals.

Aren't you also bringing your 16 year old and her 13 year d friend?

One thing I did is show my 16 & 18 year Olds YouTube videos of pier runners and others getting left by the ship ... because they will leave you there...and there are plenty of them. YouTube is a language they speak. Lol

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

To the OP ...

Do keep in mind that "crew" aren't all room stewards, cooks, etc.

On another CC thread there was a discussion of junior Officers off duty (and they have 8 hour-a-day jobs) getting VERY friendly with a pair of 20-year-old twins (daughters of a passenger) at one of the on-board bars and trying to talk them into visiting officer's country (their room). Happily, it ended when the girls refused. But if they'd had a few more drinks ... :eek:

First of all I would like to commend you for posting this on cc. In doing so it suggests that you are not one of "those parents" who lets their kids run wild and are concerned for their safety.

We have cruised and traveled both sides of Mexico multiple times with our children during their teen and early 20's. Like many of the other posters have said. Just set the ground rules and explain to them the hazards.

I am still hearing stories from our past cruise but nothing was unsafe or bad they just had a good time. We will be taking our youngest DD (17) and her best GF on the same 4 day in April and we have already explained that they will stay with us when we go into both ports. They didn't even question it.

One thing I did is show my 16 & 18 year Olds YouTube videos of pier runners and others getting left by the ship ... because they will leave you there...and there are plenty of them. YouTube is a language they speak. Lol

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

I have done the same thing. My daughter went on a cruise with her best friends family back in December. I told her that she was to stick to my rule of being onboard at least an hour before sailing time and showed her videos from youtube of how embarrassing it is to come up to the ship late. She said she would be horrified:eek: so I think my point was made in a way that sunk in with her. ;)

Edited by Mysticks1