6 month passport rule

Tausha22

Does anyone know if this applies for the southern Caribbean and if so do they just not let you off the ship at the ports that do enforce it or can you not even board the ship? We are sailing in June and My husband's passport expires in September.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this question :)

It's up to the places you're going...you can google the entry requirements to be sure.

The onus is on the traveler to verify this information with the countries that you'll visit. You do have plenty of time, I would just get it renewed now and be safe.

"The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met."

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/

Edited by setsail

Does anyone know if this applies for the southern Caribbean and if so do they just not let you off the ship at the ports that do enforce it or can you not even board the ship? We are sailing in June and My husband's passport expires in September.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this question :)

Is your cruise one that allows travelers to use their birth certificates and ID to board? If so, I doubt they would or could enforce any passport expiration rules since a passport is not even required. I take my passport as my proof of citizenship but have never had to show it to anyone but ship personnel at check in and CBP once I returned home. From my understanding, European cruises are different.

There's a 6 month passport rule? We are leaving tomorrow and my husband's passport expires next month. I hope this won't be a problem. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

Be sure to take his birth certificate and government issued photo ID just in case if you are sailing closed loop round trip from a continental US port.

There's a 6 month passport rule? We are leaving tomorrow and my husband's passport expires next month. I hope this won't be a problem. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

It should not be a problem, your cruise doesn't even require a passport. I don't know of any country in the Caribbean with a 6 month requirement.

The US says your passport is good until the day it expires, the 6 month requirement is only for the country you are visiting. So the poster who said you need to check the requirements of the country you are intending to travel to, is correct.

Sherri:)

If you are sailing closed loop, your passport is proof of citizenship until expiration. Flying internally, you don't need a passport, just government issued iD. Drivers license or passport will suffice.

post #4

Yes, I read your website but keep in mind a cruise has different requirements than just traveling to the country because cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and a passport is not required for the cruise, as long as it is closed loop. The Bahamas does not require a passport for cruise passengers but would if you were flying in.

Also, the website you are quoting is, according to the site, not an official passport website and not associated with any passport agency or US government agency. It is for informational purposes only which means they may or may not be giving out correct information.

Be sure to take his birth certificate and government issued photo ID just in case if you are sailing closed loop round trip from a continental US port.
It should not be a problem, your cruise doesn't even require a passport. I don't know of any country in the Caribbean with a 6 month requirement.

The US says your passport is good until the day it expires, the 6 month requirement is only for the country you are visiting. So the poster who said you need to check the requirements of the country you are intending to travel to, is correct.

Is this poster (lazeyey) not from Canada? I don't think the above is valid.

As far as I know, you would need your passport. Right on my invoice from my TA, it says my passport needs to be valid for 6 months after my arrival date. It couldn't get any clearer. Might not be correct :cool:, but it is perfectly highlighted.

Yes, I read your website but keep in mind a cruise has different requirements than just traveling to the country because cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and a passport is not required for the cruise, as long as it is closed loop. The Bahamas does not require a passport for cruise passengers but would if you were flying in.

Also, the website you are quoting is, according to the site, not an official passport website and not associated with any passport agency or US government agency. It is for informational purposes only which means they may or may not be giving out correct information.

Well if you read the link and other post you would see that the 6th month rule has nothing to do with the us gov. . So in order to get the info you would have to go to some other site or another country's site:rolleyes:

wither you like the info/accept it is not my concern

Edited by setsail

Well if you read the link and other post you would see that the 6th month rule has nothing to do with the us gov. . So in order to get the info you would have to go to some other site or another country's site:rolleyes:

So, if you read my post, you would see that I said you need to check with the country you are going to. :rolleyes:

Edited by sjb317

Is this poster (lazeyey) not from Canada? I don't think the above is valid.

As far as I know, you would need your passport. Right on my invoice from my TA, it says my passport needs to be valid for 6 months after my arrival date. It couldn't get any clearer. Might not be correct :cool:, but it is perfectly highlighted.

Good catch, I did not notice that! So, it may be different for them.

Our invoices always say that, too, but I think they automatically put that on them. A closed loop cruise in the Caribbean (for US citizens, at least:D) does not require a passport, so why would any Carribbean country enforce a 6month requirement on a passport when they are letting cruisers in who are only using a DL & birth certificate? That would be like saying, you can't come in because your passport expires in 4 months but you've only got a DL, so come on in!:D

I will just accept the FACT that you misspoke when you said you did not know of and Caribbean country that had a 6mo. rule. :rolleyes:..last word

I assumed we were discussing cruising, so for cruising, that is a FACT.

I guess I should follow the rule on assuming!

Edited by sjb317

Good catch, I did not notice that! So, it may be different for them.

Our invoices always say that, too, but I think they automatically put that on them. A closed loop cruise in the Caribbean (for US citizens, at least:D) does not require a passport, so why would any Carribbean country enforce a 6month requirement on a passport when they are letting cruisers in who are only using a DL & birth certificate? That would be like saying, you can't come in because your passport expires in 4 months but you've only got a DL, so come on in!:D

All I know is we need a passport from Canada. No DL option. The whole 6 month rule is clearly documented, but is it enforced?

I was on the 11 night Legend in late December that went to quite a few southern

Carib ports of call. Then on again on the Enchantment the last week of January.

My passport was due to expire May 4th of this year. I had no problems what

so ever. I had a small window to renew this month (I am on Freedom again on Sunday)

so I paid the 60.00 expedite fee. Got the new passport and passport card within two weeks.

OP...you should be fine.

Does anyone know if this applies for the southern Caribbean and if so do they just not let you off the ship at the ports that do enforce it or can you not even board the ship?

The original question was about southern Caribbean.

I assume you are sailing out of a US port and returning to the same port for disembarkation.

I have been to many Caribbean islands (on a cruise) and have never shown my passport to anyone when getting off the ship.

They would have no idea when my passport expires.

All I needed was my cruise line pass card and a photo ID (my driver's license) to get back on the ship.

But flying into a country, different situation.

Edited by Rdytogo2

The six month rule, is ususally based on the country of destination. Some countries require you have it valid for a full 6 months, and others it has to be valid until you return to your home country (ie: Canada to US travel and vice versa).

I would like to think that RCCL is just stating the "maximum normal" on their website, as there are many exceptions to the rule. One has to remember that passengers travel from all parts of the world to all parts of the world on their ships, and there are many, many different passport rules and regulations.

I highly doubt that RCCL is going to deny you boarding a Caribbean cruise as a Cdn or US citizen because your passport expires in 5 months. Think about a trip that is a re-positioning from North Ameria to Europe, then it is a much different story.

But... I always make sure that my passport is up-to-date notwithstanding. I could not imagine travelling with 1 month remaining on my passport, and getting sick in Belize and not being able to travel home because my passport expired before I was able to travel.

Jes my 2 cents worth...

My SIL called RCCL and they said it was just a recommendation in case you missed the ship or had to be flown home in an emergency. They said there would be no trouble boarding the cruise or going to port.

I was worried because I saw that St. Lucia is one of our stops and they have the 6 month rule. I will probably have him get a new one anyway since we have the time. Thanks everyone!

We have cruised all over the Caribbean and have never had to use or show our passport. I'll test the theory in 3 weeks on the Explorer. My passport expires 09/14 and we are leaving 03/21. So less than six months.

I also will not renew for our Alaska/Canada cruise in May. You don't actually need a passport to get into Canada, but you need one to get back into the US.

But as soon as we return from Alaska off it goes for renewal.