Freedom of the Seas - "top" points you liked

I haven't added it to my 'signature' until now but we just got off Freedom this morning. First Royal Caribbean cruise for us!

TOP Must see/do:

*Ice Skate Show!!!

*Treats, sandwiches, pizza and snacks on Deck 5 Royal Promenade

*Afternoon and evening movies on Big Screen TV on main pool deck

*Showers in the spacious stalls located in gym locker rooms (they're very clean and have awesome towels to use as well!) Very Convenient!!!!!!!!

*Oreo Sundaes in Johnny Rockets!! (It's included in your cover charge). In fact we ate at Johnny Rockets 3x and its unlimited food, appetizers and desserts ...this food is not a 'knock-off' version, it's the real Johnny Rockets delicious food!! Must eat there! The staff was the friendliest on the whole ship (we thought)

*At least once you MUST see acoustic guitarist Maneolito Martin!! He's simply AMAZING!!! He tells the story of each composed piece before playing. I won't tell more...just go see him and report back. You won't be disappointed!

Royal~Freedom of the Seas 3-2-14

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Thanks for your great helps....I'm sure you are still suffering from "land feet". Regarding Johnny Rockets. Are they open for breakfast? I think I read that somewhere but can't say for sure. So what did you all eat during your three visits? I can't wait....coming up in April.

OMG....I can't believe it. These menu's look like some fancy dancy restaurant choices. I'm not a fan of Oysters but are they actually offering

them? I thought they were scarce at this time of year. Was there any one particular item you would highly rate? I think I gain weight just reading the offerings. Thanks for posting this.

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

What Royal ships have you been on? If you have been on a Voyager class ship, the Solarium (adults only) area is larger than the Voyager class. When comparing it to the Oasis class, its smaller, but its open to the sky and has a real pool.

Also the Windjammer seems to me from observation, not factual knowledge, on Freedom has more seats available than the other ships. Also there are more hot tubs including the cantilevered ones on Freedom. The Oasis class has the same overhanging hot tubs, but they are technically outside of the adults only solarium.

My family of 5 did manage to eat in the Windjammer after arriving on the ship. The hardest part was finding a table. It was impossible. I noticed a line with a velvet rope and saw waiters helping people get a table. As soon as we went to the rope, they found us a table. We were relieved and had a pleasant lunch.

One of my tips for finding a table in the windjammer is, don't be shy! We always cruise as a couple and I can rarely find a table for 2, so it we sit at a larger table, I try to sit on one end and tell people to feel free to grab the other seats. Embarkation is tougher though because people will pile all of their carryons at teh cable while they look for food before the cabins are available. Freedom also has what I call snack bar seating which helps for smaller groups.

How crowded or uncrowded will Johnny Rockets be, when the Freedom is in CocoCay? We're scheduled into Coco along with the Grandeur. It seems to me that eating at Johnny Rockets would be less frantic than trying to eat at the buffet on shore with several thousand other cruisers.

Not crowded AT ALL!! Even on sea days, the only time it was crowded was at 3:45-ish (the windjammer buffet closed at 3:30) and we still got seated in less than 5 minutes!

Johnny Rockets always became our quiet meal time when the buffets were impossible!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Thanks for your great helps....I'm sure you are still suffering from "land feet". Regarding Johnny Rockets. Are they open for breakfast? I think I read that somewhere but can't say for sure. So what did you all eat during your three visits? I can't wait....coming up in April.

Yes we are suffering 'land feet' haha!

I kept all my 'Cruise Compass' timelines so here was the hrs for Johnny Rockets each day:

1) SailawayDay 5pm-midnight

2)SeaDay#1 11:30am-midnight

3)Labadee noon-midnight

4)Jamaica 1pm-midnight

5)grandCayman 1pm-midnight

6)Cozumel 3pm-midnight

7)LastSeaDay 11:30am-11:30pm

My husband got TheOriginal (hamburger w the fixings ...he had them add bacon and cheese..no problem)

My DD got grilled cheese twice and chicken breast sandwich 3rd time

I stayed with the BLTs on sour dough each visit (I just love them!!)

Before they take your order, they bring a pile of French fries and onion rings with ranch and ketchup then take your order. We got an appetizer each time..bacon, cheddar French fries!! (SO good!!)

For dessert we got Oreo sundaes (they're too much for one person trust me) and I tried hot fudge sundae w almonds one day and apple pie with vanilla ice cream 2other times (they gave me an extra one 'to go' since I RAVED about it so much lol! They FILLED a cup with vanilla ice cream for me to take...I was so surprised! It was great having ice cream and more pie as we sat outside to watch HungerGames Catching Fire on our last day!!!!

For your breakfast question, I would say no but looking at my 'Compass', they offer sit down breakfast every morning at 8 in Leonardo's on deck 3. They have the same buffet option as Windjammer in there and you won't have to battle the heavy crowds for a table. This is not something you pay extra for (Johnny Rockets is 4.95 cover charge)

Hope I helped with your questions. Let me know if you would like any more info. I would be happy to help!!

~Kim

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Thanks, looks like they are open on port days for lunch except for Cozumel day. Nice to know.

I'm never been to CocoCay so I don't have details but at their island in Haiti (Labadee) they had three locations for the buffet. So not a problem getting food. They opened them at 11:45 so JohnnyRockets opening at noon would be a fantastic escape for you guys!!!! Have fun!!! I'm jealous already!!!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

What Royal ships have you been on? If you have been on a Voyager class ship, the Solarium (adults only) area is larger than the Voyager class. When comparing it to the Oasis class, its smaller, but its open to the sky and has a real pool.

Also the Windjammer seems to me from observation, not factual knowledge, on Freedom has more seats available than the other ships. Also there are more hot tubs including the cantilevered ones on Freedom. The Oasis class has the same overhanging hot tubs, but they are technically outside of the adults only solarium.

Although the Freedom has more tables, it has more passengers.... So seating was CRAZY!! (Eat at Johnny Rockets if no seats are available)

The two cantilever hot tubs are in the adult only area. But there are five additional hot tubs in the 'all age' areas! And the pools were so spacious!!!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Although the Freedom has more tables, it has more passengers.... So seating was CRAZY!! (Eat at Johnny Rockets if no seats are available)

The two cantilever hot tubs are in the adult only area. But there are five additional hot tubs in the 'all age' areas! And the pools were so spacious!!!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

BTW where is your review? Seems like you enjoyed the FOS. What did you wind up doing in Falmouth? Did you stay on the ship?

To avoid being OT, I also liked all the hot tubs on FOS. By boys like hot tubs and it was nice they had them in kids pool as well as family and adult pools.

I also loved the all-around promenade. Some newer ships no longer have that. It's nice to be able to do a few laps after dinner.

Edited by DrD

BTW where is your review? Seems like you enjoyed the FOS. What did you wind up doing in Falmouth? Did you stay on the ship?

To avoid being OT, I also liked all the hot tubs on FOS. By boys like hot tubs and it was nice they had them in kids pool as well as family and adult pools.

I also loved the all-around promenade. Some newer ships no longer have that. It's nice to be able to do a few laps after dinner.

I'm using my iPod touch for cruise critic (the app) and I'm having trouble finding where I write my review. But once I unpack (boo hoo) and have the time to navigate through the app, I will write my full review!

My daughter and I stayed onboard in Jamaica (she wasn't feeling well but ended up being ok). My husband and son shopped and used wifi in the port. But we had planned to do the RedStripeBeach Break. Read great things about it. It's located VERY close to the ship. Next time we will def do that!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

Loving this thread-- thanks for asking the questions. We don't sail on the Freedom until August but I love reading about it while I wait! I'm learning so much!

I kept all my 'Cruise Compass' timelines so here was the hrs for Johnny Rockets each day:

3)Labadee noon-midnight

4)Jamaica 1pm-midnight

6)Cozumel 3pm-midnight

My husband got TheOriginal (hamburger w the fixings ...he had them add bacon and cheese..no problem)

Before they take your order, they bring a pile of French fries and onion rings with ranch and ketchup then take your order. We got an appetizer each time..bacon, cheddar French fries!! (SO good!!)

For dessert we got Oreo sundaes (they're too much for one person trust me) and I tried hot fudge sundae w almonds one day and apple pie with vanilla ice cream 2other times (they gave me an extra one 'to go' since I RAVED about it so much lol! They FILLED a cup with vanilla ice cream for me to take...I was so surprised! It was great having ice cream and more pie as we sat outside to watch HungerGames Catching Fire on our last day!!!!

For your breakfast question, I would say no but looking at my 'Compass', they offer sit down breakfast every morning at 8 in Leonardo's on deck 3. They have the same buffet option as Windjammer in there and you won't have to battle the heavy crowds for a table. This is not something you pay extra for (Johnny Rockets is 4.95 cover charge)

Hope I helped with your questions. Let me know if you would like any more info. I would be happy to help!!

~Kim

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

So could you just pay the cover charge for JR and eat whatever you wanted off of the menu for free? It isn't a cover charge plus whatever you purchase?

So could you just pay the cover charge for JR and eat whatever you wanted off of the menu for free? It isn't a cover charge plus whatever you purchase?

JR does not charge for individual items, the single cover charge is for all the food. I know you can have all the fries and onion rings you want for that cover charge. However, I don't know if you can have more than one main entree.

Edited by clarea

3)Labadee noon-midnight

4)Jamaica 1pm-midnight

6)Cozumel 3pm-midnight

~Kim

Thanks Kim. It is really great to actually read what some folks eat....I'm loving it. I have lots of questions and can't wait for your review. You write so personally, love hearing everything you did and ate haha. What entertainment did you have/see? Were the big things on formal night? Were there more suits or tux? Where did you sit in the large theater (I gather there are several floors???) Did you order anything from room service? Is there any chance you could email me a copy of the Compass? Here is my email (don't leave the spaces though) yxelyxel @ gmail. com

Oh, I wish I could talk to you in person for all your hints. Please do a review soon. Let us all know when you post one so we don't get lost trying to find it on CC. Have a good day. Have you found your kitchen yet back home?

Cover charge only and eat as many food items as you want or can! Cannot get soda unless you have soda package or pay for those separately. But eat up...,unlimited!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Thanks Kim. It is really great to actually read what some folks eat....I'm loving it. I have lots of questions and can't wait for your review. You write so personally, love hearing everything you did and ate haha. What entertainment did you have/see? Were the big things on formal night? Were there more suits or tux? Where did you sit in the large theater (I gather there are several floors???) Did you order anything from room service? Is there any chance you could email me a copy of the Compass? Here is my email (don't leave the spaces though) yxelyxel @ gmail. com

Oh, I wish I could talk to you in person for all your hints. Please do a review soon. Let us all know when you post one so we don't get lost trying to find it on CC. Have a good day. Have you found your kitchen yet back home?

I will email you pics today no problem.

I'm still confused where to put my review...do you happen to know how to do it from an app? I can get in a laptop later and try it that way!

I saw only a handful of tuxes and barely any suits. Maybe better labeled 'church clothes'...I was glad bc I chose not to pack our super duper fancy stuff (just wasn't in the mood this trip lol)

The entertainment was equal throughout the week...formal nights didn't seem to stand out. You will maybe get a better idea when I send you pics if the compass.

We ordered coffee and breakfast every single morning...paid a few bucks for tip....totally worth it!!! My husband and I hate to battle crowds and mornings are the worst time in our opinion so room service was best for us.

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Be on the lookout for real chocolate chip cookies, not sugar free

ITs been a while since I've been on Freedom -2008, In the windjammer I can usually find both. On the promenade, I don't remember.