Dawn 12000/12500 vs 12002/12502

GeezerCouple

The Deck Plans for Dawn show two very different shaped "Deluxe Owner's Suites", with the two in the middle being mirror images, and the two outside suites being different from the middle two (but also mirror images of each other).

The sample "Floor Plan" is obviously of the outer two shapes.

Does anyone have a description - or better yet an actual Floor Plan - of the middle two, 12000 or 12500?

It looks like a longer, narrower shape than the layout shown.

I like what seems to be more window space on the outer 2 suites, but it seems that only the middle two could take 5 (or 6) passengers (we'd have 4 adults and a toddler, so a 5th full bed would not be used).

Many thanks.

GeezerCouple

We just stayed in 12500. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite that sleeps 6 (king in master bdrm, full in 2nd bdrm and a sofa that converts to a full). We had three adults and a child and it was plenty of room for us. The child slept on the couch without any issues, though there is certainly enough room in the master bedroom for a cot or pack n play, if needed.

Thanks so much.

Is there any chance you could compare the layout to what is shown online, which would be the two "end" suites?

They are only showing one bathroom (although it seems very large).

[sorry - I don't know how to link or post a diagram from the NCL website.]

Our main question is whether there is as much "living room space" in the two middle suites there, or whether there is the same "feel" of wide window views.

This might be moot, as we seem to have grabbed the last one, but it's long before penalty for canceling, so someone might change their mind.

And we *might* need to change dates anyway.

Thank you!

GeezerCouple

The two outside suites are what you see in the picture. They only sleep four people. Very large and wonderful views. The middle suites have smaller living dining rooms. Not as good view. The second bedroom is a sofa bed.

The two outside suites are what you see in the picture. They only sleep four people. Very large and wonderful views. The middle suites have smaller living dining rooms. Not as good view. The second bedroom is a sofa bed.

Oh, perfect :)

Thanks very much!

It looked like the middle two were "longer and narrower", and wouldn't have the same view, and maybe not the same open space.

But I didn't realize the middle two had a second bathroom.

We are bringing along a younger generation couple and a toddler, and they'll have an inside cabin for sleeping (and a separate place for a cranky toddler, if necessary :eek:).

We just want a place that we can all gather, especially for sea days.

The floor plan of the outside pair looked wonderful.

And with a young child, I don't mind not having a balcony. "Nervous Nellie" here :o

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

In 12500, the best view is from the bedroom, which is at the "point" of the ship. The living room has two tall, but narrow windows. One thing that we loved about this suite is that the ceiling is higher than most.

The floorplan on the NCL site is close for the outer two and the picture is still the one from when they updated the Star but that isn't accurate of either type of room either.

There are some youtubes of the rooms including the inner type. If you search youtube for either Star or Dawn DOS they will be representative (only some small differences between Star and Dawn DOS).

I hope this link works, I did a google search and found a cruise critic thread. A way down there is a picture of the living room and a PDF floor plan someone drew. Note that the higher link to pictures doesn't work but keep scrolling down.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362423

If there are just two of you and you want to entertain, then I would go with the two outer ones. If you have a group and need sleeping space the two middle ones. We are on our third cruise in the outer, one bedroom ones and love the wall of glass. Additionally, the "wing" sticking out from the side matches what the Captain uses below you to see down the side of the ship. It's amazing when docking. We never miss the balcony any more. We think they are some of the best suites on NCL.

I was in 12502 last year for the Repo cruise----Tampa to Boston. There was 1 bedroom, huge livingroom/diningroom, and 1 large bathroom with jetted tub and walk in shower.

No balcony, but we were on the pool deck with a quick walk outside. Another benefit, was breakfast and lunch at Cagney's.

By the way, if you want pictures of the two outside rooms there are ones for the Star on cruise line rooms. We had 12502 on the Star and it was amazing. We did not miss the balcony at all, the floor to ceiling windows more than made up for it. And as someone said, the pool deck is nice and handy. I would not recommend it though fro 4 adults, there is only one bathroom and to get from the master bathroom to the bathroom you have to walk through the living room where the other 2 adults will have to sleep.

GeezerCouple, when are you cruising? I want to book 12500 for a future cruise and I'm wondering how far in advance I need to book it so it doesn't get scooped up.

Thanks!

Corgidog

We are going in September.

When NCL announced the "children sail free" a few days ago (and possibly other "specials"), I could watch some of these cabins disappear in front of my eyes for the two dates we were considering.

Of course, it's early enough that there's no penalty for cancelling, so some of the suites might open up again.

We are very happy with what we got ;-)

We just hope that an inside cabin opens up on the same deck, for our friends. Those were all sold out already.

GeezerCouple

• 7 years later...

Hi I know this is a old thread.  I have googled and looked at videos as well.  Can’t seem to find out if lights from the bridge are a problem for these rooms at night?  Have family member who is sensitive to light. Also this is a Northern European cruise so long hours of daylight.  

Trying to decide if another cabin might be a better option for us. Thanks 

1 hour ago, milolii said:

Hi I know this is a old thread.  I have googled and looked at videos as well.  Can’t seem to find out if lights from the bridge are a problem for these rooms at night?  Have family member who is sensitive to light. Also this is a Northern European cruise so long hours of daylight.  

Trying to decide if another cabin might be a better option for us. Thanks 

Wow... does this bring back memories - WONDERFUL memories😄

For starters, our icon is taken in the bedroom of the starboard 1BR DOS, with our heads on the pillows.  Those are our feet, with one of those huge forward-facing windows behind them, with that amazing view in the background.

Note:  This was DH's first cruise.  It took me *years* to get him to go, and meanwhile I had stopped cruising as it wasn't fun leaving him behind.

By the second day, he was teasing me, joking along the lines of "Why didn't YOU [meaning me!] want to sail sooner!?"  He was completely hooked that quickly!  My "trick" was to bring along some "almost family" (two adults and their toddler) and use this trip to "bond", which also worked like magic.  We had to get them a cabin on a different deck, but that worked out fine.  We requested a little crib to be added to our DOS bedroom, in addition to the crib in their cabin elsewhere.  We spent a lot of the time in that huge Living Room, including eating some meals and snacks at the small table there.

And as someone pointed out above, something that was not shown on the deck plans that I had been able to find was the fact that the back corner does indeed have a really special view down the entire side of the ship, just like the captain would have on the deck below.  That was lots of fun.

Anyway, IF I remember correctly (this was several years ago), there was absolutely no problem with lights from the Bridge.  They don't want "outside lights", which could interfere with their forward views at night.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that we were instructed to close the curtains if we wanted to keep our lights on after dark.  We went to sleep pretty early (not party types), and sunset was somewhat late, so that was never a problem.
We didn't close those curtains!  We just enjoyed that view ALL the time.  Heading into port, that forward view is absolutely amazing.  We got spoiled with that.

A few years later, for an Alaska cruise, we must have lucked out with someone's late cancellation, and got that starboard top suite on the Sun.  That was HUGE, and had a humongous balcony with a private hot tub.  We ate almost all of our meals at our own DR table for that cruise, so we could watch the Alaskan coast.  (Hint:  Going north, the starboard side is perfect for a forward view plus the coastline.  Heading south, I'd recommend the port side.)

The photos reminded me that the curtains are oddly placed:  The forward windows are very slanted, so where the curtains hang from the ceiling is above the floor but several feet back from the base of the windows.  They should have had curtains that were on rods top and bottom, or something like that.  But again, we almost never needed to close the curtains.  IIRC, in the bedroom, there were blinds on the window instead of those hanging/dangling curtains.

We were all early to bed and early to rise for that trip, unlike almost every other trip where DH and I tend to sleep late.  (Having a toddler along will do that... ahem!)

The AC was just barely strong enough.  With all those windows, if the sun is shining in, that's a big heat source...  Perhaps they've fixed that, and perhaps also the curtain situation.

As a matter of personal preference, if one doesn't *need* that second bedroom and second bathroom, then the end DOS suites are clear winners, with the amazing views and wide open interior space (really great for an 18-month old to race around safely!).

However, we did strongly prefer that location on the Sun, with the balcony.  That suite was our favorite ever, even if the ship wasn't our favorite ever.  We LOVED that Alaskan cruise.

And we also loved that Bermuda cruise on the NCL DOS, where DH fell in love with sailing, so that will always be special to us.

However, we really did get spoiled by all that space, for better or for worse...

We cannot wait to start traveling again.........

GC