Has RCCL changed something?

I booked a cruise for January 2015 and first seating is not available :eek: ! I'm scheduled for second and wait listed for first. Is there THAT much demand or has RCL reduced dining space? Just very surprised that early seating is full this far in advance.

I have three cruises currently booked for 2015 and none of those

had MDR times settled. For all three I had to (for the booking) say I would

do My Time Dining, and be waitlisted for an actual seating.

However, it only took a day or two for my TA to talk to RCL and

get me late seating for all three.

I booked a cruise for January 2015 and first seating is not available :eek: ! I'm scheduled for second and wait listed for first. Is there THAT much demand or has RCL reduced dining space? Just very surprised that early seating is full this far in advance.

IMHO the answer is Yes. I think they are pushing hard to have everyone do My Time Dining (also known as, "Their Time Dining.") It has happened to us too often to be accidental. Once onboard the ship it is "usually" no problem to have it changed to traditional dining, but on a couple recent cruise even that was difficult. Being diabetic and needing to eat once I have my injection, I can not wait in line for a table after leaving the cabin. Trying to get the staff to understand this sometimes results in us eating in the Windjammer instead.

You can do the My time dining but you will have to prepay your tips. No Big deal, then ask to be put on the waitlist for the desired dining time you want. You will get it I think so many people spend too much at the BAR and forget about the cabin attendant. I always pre pay and then give them some extra!

What the cabin steward has to do with the dining room waiters?

The tip is charges to your sail pass 12 dollar per day.

Still you can give extra to crew who went out of their way to serve you.

My gut feeling is that they are going to go to MTD for everyone in the future. Then you can sign up for a time like you can now on line if you are savvy enough. Isn't Quantum toying with the idea?

Pre-paid tips solves two problems: 1) crew won't get stiffed; 2) lots-o-float (pun intended) money.

Tucker in Texas

We just booked a couple of weeks ago on the Explorer for early July and the first seating showed as full, so we took late seating and wait listed first. The next day when we went to pay the deposit, the waitlist had already cleared and we are now confirmed for first seating.

I am starting to believe that RCL, is doing this intentionally to 'control' for some reason the seating. Not that I can figure out why. It makes no sense that some people can't get the seating they want, when they are booking many, many months in advance. That sailing for January 2015 (your example), is far from fully booked in March 2014. Simple as that. I have not seen a dining room 'shrink' in size on any of my recent cruises.

In our case, I never have had a problem getting the early seating, when I book a cruise -- it doesn't matter whether it is book 6 weeks before or 6 months or more before sailing. My TA knows that when she books the cruise, she tells them this booking 'won't happen, without a firm early seating confirmation' -- viola, we always get it.

If there are available cabins (and of course there are or I wouldn't be booking the cruise) -- RCL wants another cabin booked.

Sometimes when DH and I book too close to sailing, we can't get our first choice of cabin, but we always get our choice of dinner seating.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm feeling a little more encouraged now. I always go for early seating; yes, I've done late too, but prefer the first seating. I don't know what RCL is up to, but it can't be good. I don't want to spend the money for a nice cruise and then not get my dining preference--unless, of course, I was booking close to sail date.

Like others of you have said, I think RCL wants to go to MTD, but they can't seem to handle the dining traffic. Personally, I like the two MDR seatings (assuming you can get your choice, of course); and offer the buffet and specialty eateries to all those who do not want to eat in the MDR at their assigned time.