Very unpleasant experience on EXPLORER OF THE SEAS

If I may ... Slightly different experience I had a couple years back. Kinda a personal situation sorry if I offend anyone with the topic. Being about 49ish year old woman I had the monthly woman's issues. Never knew when or where I would need supplies so I packed many at all times. On the EOS i happened to need more supplies. Went to the promenade nothing to be bought on the ship. They didn't stock b4 leaving the port of Bayonne. Ok went to the medical facility nothing. Panic was setting in and I just kept getting sorry can't help you. I was actually stalking the ladies room asking passengers if I could buy some from them!!! I got no help in all the places I would have expected to. I went to the crown and anchor desk and pleaded case. Thank god the hostess was wonderful she helped me gather product from fellow workers. My cabin attendant also helped out. If not for them I would not have been able to leave my cabin. Returning home I contacted rccl upset about the lack of management skills for keeping such an important item properly stocked. With 3000. + people onboard large percentage of women and what about the possibility of all the young girls that might experience this for their first time?? I got no where with my complaints never acknowledged. I did not expect anything from them except an acknowledgement. The upper management on the ship really cared less. I still love rccl and really that was my only moment I felt livid. Because of a couple nice passengers and a couple wonderful workers my trip was saved. All is well that ends well I guess. Just bad timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am absolutely :eek: :eek: :eek: that you are getting slammed for your post.

You will be irked to know that they used to have baskets of supplies in every ladies room on the ship! For free! Just sitting there!

Gone, gone, gone, along with many other nice "touches".

To the OP, I really think you're expectations were set far far too high, not to mention that the Health issues on board are taken very seriously and I would expect to be told the same thing when they're trying to avoid a virus from spreading to nearly 4000 people.

Ports get canceled due to safety precautions all the time, you cannot fault RC for doing whats best for the safety of the passengers and crew. But comp thousands of people free booze all day, thats just dumb!!

If I think someone has been rude to me, as people say and mean things in different mannerisms, as we English differ from our friends over the pond. I always Thank them for being so co-operative, this either leaves them puzzled, confused and thinking he got that wrong. My English way of showing I'm not fazed by your tone. Being Polite to someone who doesn't warrant it often pi$$es on their strawberries, that's the English way.

You will be irked to know that they used to have baskets of supplies in every ladies room on the ship! For free! Just sitting there!

Thanks, and I do rem those days as well !

If I think someone has been rude to me, as people say and mean things in different mannerisms, as we English differ from our friends over the pond. I always Thank them for being so co-operative, this either leaves them puzzled, confused and thinking he got that wrong. My English way of showing I'm not fazed by your tone. Being Polite to someone who doesn't warrant it often pi$$es on their strawberries, that's the English way.

I was a food server for many years and that is exactly how I handled rude nasty customers. "I am so sorry, how can I fix this?". Embarrassed them every time.

To the OP: As someone who sailed on Explorer 2 weeks prior to your cruise (Feb 9-16), I can tell you that tendering during a storm is not something you would have wanted. The tender I was on made it halfway towards the ship, before the crew deemed it unsafe to tender back to the ship, and returned to shore.

However, there was a one-hour 'Happy Hour' of half-priced drinks onboard because our time on the island was cut short because of said storm, and the cruise directors loaded the day with more activities to make up for missing island time.

Your cruise experience would've been extremely more pleasant had you been able to indulge in a 'Coco Loco.' :D

You must have been on the same tender as me. The ine ahead had the life jackets, and ours did not pull them out.

The half price happy hour was already planned though, as I was looking forqard to it from the cruise compass. Either way, I would not have expected compensation. In the past I have gotten a variation from nothing to an open bar for an hour for a missed port. I do not expect anything however

Thanks for sharing. I'm not English, but I'd happily adopt your approach.

Well, as nice as we all think we are there have been times that we(:eek:) have been the rude person. I know I have. It happens whether we want to admit or not. We've all said stuff to others that we wish could take back.

Yes! None of us are perfect and we need to be reminded of once in awhile :)

Hi everyone, I just went on my third cruise, 2nd time with RC and had a horrible experience. I was shocked and would love to see if someone here in the community was on the same trip and had a similar experience. I am pretty confident that this is going to be my last time working with Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas // Embarkation Date: 02/23/14 // Port of Calls: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Cococay

Here are just some of the incidents:

1. On our first night, Sun, Feb 23 sometime between 10p and 2a in THE CHAMBER, my friend requested a Michael Jackson song from the DJ. The DJ looked at her and said, “Where the **** did you come from,” as she walked away, I watched as the DJ had a disgusted look on his face. Immediately, I try to bring this to more than one bartenders’ attention and none of them could help and were ill-prepared on how to help a guest in a situation like this.

2. On the morning of Fri, Feb 28th around 8:30a EST in THE WINDJAMMER at the beverage station located on the port side of the ship towards the front side of the ship a staff member was very rude to me. The person working the station that fills the cups with orange juice, apple juice, water, etc snapped at me. I had a few empty cups and rather than just leave them anywhere, I thought I was doing him a favor by politely putting my used cups in his area so he could easily dispose of them. He snapped at me and said, “DON’T PUT THOSE THERE! THOSE ARE DIRTY!” His delivery was terrible.

3. Another day in THE WINDJAMMER I was using the ice machine in order to fill up my gym water bottle, a staff member snapped at me and said to stop what I was doing and pointed at a sign that said I wasn’t allowed to refill water bottles. I was completely in the wrong here as I didn’t see the sign but her delivery was terrible and very rude.

4. Despite Royal Caribbean’s campaign to “Save the Waves,” I noticed that the ships’ decks were littered with empty cups and beer bottles. Items that I had put down nearly 2 hours earlier were still sitting there. I can remember once incident where I took it upon myself to clean up multiple items and put them on the bar, the bartender simply looked at me and had no acknowledgment whatsoever. This was on Thursday, February 27th at THE SKYBAR.

5. The people sitting at our dinner table were celebrating a birthday one night and the wait staff failed to bring out a birthday cake that was pre-arranged by her mother, instead, it came out 2-days later with her name misspelled.

6. After taking advantage of the ship’s WIFI service for just 5-short minutes I was shocked to see that I was billed more than $20, thankfully, an individual in guest services helped me by reversing the overages.

To top it off, we were never able to go to Cococay because the weather made tendering to the island unsafe. I understand that this is out of everyone's control but how come they don't have some sort of make-good for these situations? Perhaps go to another island? Comp people's drinks that day? Maybe some cute little apology note in your stateroom with a $10 credit for the gift shop or something?

Most of the issues were of your making, the only positive is I won't be running into you on a RCL cruise anytime soon........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You must have been on the same tender as me. The ine ahead had the life jackets, and ours did not pull them out.

The half price happy hour was already planned though, as I was looking forqard to it from the cruise compass. Either way, I would not have expected compensation. In the past I have gotten a variation from nothing to an open bar for an hour for a missed port. I do not expect anything however

Yes we sure were on the same one! I think that visual is what made a couple of people on our tender freak out.

That happy hour was planned?! Figures the one day I didn't read the compass, would be for 1/2 priced beverages. But I couldn't agree more with you more, if we would have missed the port entirely, I would've expected more activities and nothing more.

Me too!:confused: I only hope the slammers never have to deal with these issues that usually end up with a hysterectomy - it's no fun.:(

I have been on many different types of vacations. I have encountered rude staff everywhere. But I can not remember one time that a cruise ship employee has ever been rude to me. I may have happened but and I just can't remember.

With that said, can you imagine cruise ship employees having to be happy and nice all the time? Day in and day out. Then they have to start all over the next week with a whole new set of passengers. And they have to be nice to all the rude and demanding passengers. They work long hours for minimal pay for you. Remember, everyone has a bad day every now and then. Not an excuse but a fact.

Something I have always tried to teach my son. You need to try to be nice to everyone. You don't know what they may be going through in their life. You speaking to them in a kind way just might make their day.:)

I had never heard that strawberries line before. Laughed out loud when I read it, thanks for that moment.

If I may ... Slightly different experience I had a couple years back. Kinda a personal situation sorry if I offend anyone with the topic. Being about 49ish year old woman I had the monthly woman's issues. Never knew when or where I would need supplies so I packed many at all times. On the EOS i happened to need more supplies. Went to the promenade nothing to be bought on the ship. They didn't stock b4 leaving the port of Bayonne. Ok went to the medical facility nothing. Panic was setting in and I just kept getting sorry can't help you. I was actually stalking the ladies room asking passengers if I could buy some from them!!! I got no help in all the places I would have expected to. I went to the crown and anchor desk and pleaded case. Thank god the hostess was wonderful she helped me gather product from fellow workers. My cabin attendant also helped out. If not for them I would not have been able to leave my cabin. Returning home I contacted rccl upset about the lack of management skills for keeping such an important item properly stocked. With 3000. + people onboard large percentage of women and what about the possibility of all the young girls that might experience this for their first time?? I got no where with my complaints never acknowledged. I did not expect anything from them except an acknowledgement. The upper management on the ship really cared less. I still love rccl and really that was my only moment I felt livid. Because of a couple nice passengers and a couple wonderful workers my trip was saved. All is well that ends well I guess. Just bad timing.

I hope all those people who have slammed your post never have to go through something like that in their life! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Having personal experience with a situation like yours I know how difficult that can be. It effects your everyday life. So sorry for your experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a question, but my parents just got off the splendour and they mentioned no surveys now (guest comment cards) when they asked for one were told they would be emailed it. They were on B2B and received survey whilst still on board during week 2, but the survey was only valid for 1 week, so by the time they got home couldn't complete for the first cruise.

Anyone else come across this on another ship recently?:confused:

I was on the Freedom OTS last month for B/B cruises. Every B/B guest was given a five minute free online credit to allow them to complete the survey during the second week. It took me eight minutes, but they tried. Maybe they will expand that to ten minutes if they learn five minutes is not enough time.

Sorry you had some unfortunate incidents that bothered you. Judging from the responses you got, they would not have been an issue for most people and, to be fair, myself included. But hey, what's important to me is not necessarily what's important to you.

I have had one or two "hmmm, that wasn't right" moments onboard -- we all have. You have to expect it. There are people involved, after all. And we all have our less-than-stellar moments from time to time. :)

Bottom line, it's pretty amazing how smoothly things run on board 99.9999 percent of the time considering the magnitude of things that can trip up the staff and the excellent service they provide to us day in day out. Focus on the "wow moments" as they call them and remember them when the "not so wow" happens. Report the abusive stuff, of course, but know that it is okay to give the crew a pass on the little hiccups, especially if you yourself have had some not-so-proud moments at work along the way. I know I have. Sure they're trained to provide exceptional service and we have every right to demand it but.... it's ok to let the little stuff go...

Edited by JaxieWaxie

I can't believe that anyone who has been on a cruise ship before didn't know better than to put soiled dishes on an area that was serving food and drinks. Or to fill their personal water bottle directly from the dispenser. Shame on you.

Why were you leaving your dirty dishes/glasses wherever you pleased? And then complaining because nobody had immediately cleaned up after you?

If you never want to encounter someone saying something that you consider rude, then not only should you find another cruise line I would advise that you never venture outside your home again.

And do a little reading before your next vacation. Perhaps with a little due diligence on your part you will be able to adjust your expectations to a reasonable level.

Mom of the DJ?

Mom of the DJ?

Not that I know of. I didn't comment on that little gem because I don't know the context. I don't know the type of music the DJ was playing. I don't know what the friend said or how she phrased it. I don't know exactly what the DJ said or his tone of voice. I do know that if I have a complaint about a crew member I don't expect another crew member (a bartender) to deal with it- that is what Guest Services is for.

It does, however bring back memories of my younger daughter coming up to me and whining "So and so was rude to me. Boo hoo" She was 5 at the time.

Edited by mom says

I learned that you Brits used "pi$$ed" to mean "drunk." I was rather taken aback (a nice nautical expression for you BTW) when in London as a youth I was told very loudly "I'm so pi$$ed." I'm like "sorry what did I do?"