Is beverage package worth it for me?

So, I have read that the Bev package is $49/day, but having no idea what the normal prices of drinks are on NCL, it is really hard to decide if it is worth it for me. I usually like to get a beverage package, just so I don't have to think "ka-Ching" every time I order a drink, but I am not sure about this one.

Here are my normal daily drinking habits while on a cruise:

2 or 3 coffee drinks. Cappuccinos or lattes.

Lots and lots of water.

Some sparkling water (Pellegrino, etc.)

2 cocktails.

Maybe wine with dinner if it is drinkable, but I am happy with cocktails and water.

I tend to like the high end cocktails, such as Martinis.

I have heard that bottled water and coffee drinks are not included in the beverage package. Is this true? I read in one review that bottled water is $4.75/ liter on the European cruises. Ouch! Is there a water-like substance (no sugar and no caffeine) that is included in the package? Diet Sprite? Club soda? Something to hydrate after walking around all day?

Is there a good selection of cocktails that are included?

Is the wine that is included any good?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Only you can answer that really~ but if you want my opinion no it wouldn't be worth it for you by what you say you'd drink~

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits and cocktails valued up to $8.50, draft beer up to $5.95, bottled beers up to $5.50, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay.

Cheapest martini I see on the menu is $8.75 so those won't be included~

Here are the terms of the UBP~

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

This is what is says about what's not included~

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.

Edited by Alliezona09

Only you can answer that really~ but if you want my opinion no it wouldn't be worth it for you by what you say you'd drink~

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits and cocktails valued up to $8.50, draft beer up to $5.95, bottled beers up to $5.50, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay.

Cheapest martini I see on the menu is $8.75 so those won't be included~

Here are the terms of the UBP~

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

This is what is says about what's not included~

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.

I'm thinking that would be the daily drink of the day is not included in the UBP?

I don't drink $49 a day of drinks for every cruise day, maybe one or two days. Not worth it to me.

As another poster replied, cocktails up to $8.50 included. So a Martini at $8.75, do they charge .25 cents or the full $8.75? Too me, that could be your deal breaker.

I am looking into this for myself right now, I think I am going to go for it. If I have a couple of specialty coffees, a few beers, and a fancy drink, I think it would pay for itself. Pop is included, but I was also thinking why not try a few of the fancy drinks virgin style?

For me it is more about not having to worry about my tab on the ship then getting my money's worth, I am on vacation after all...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm thinking that would be the daily drink of the day is not included in the UBP?

You can get the DOD without the souvenir glass for cheaper~ so that would make it covered

I don't drink $49 a day of drinks for every cruise day, maybe one or two days. Not worth it to me.

As another poster replied, cocktails up to $8.50 included. So a Martini at $8.75, do they charge .25 cents or the full $8.75? Too me, that could be your deal breaker.

I've read here that they just tell you you can't order that drink as it's not available with the UBP~

So, I have read that the Bev package is $49/day, but having no idea what the normal prices of drinks are on NCL, it is really hard to decide if it is worth it for me.
It is easy to find bar menus on-line, for example here:

Norwegian Drink Lists

The prices may be a little different on your cruise, but this will give you an idea of what cocktails and wines are available.

I have heard that bottled water and coffee drinks are not included in the beverage package. Is this true?

Yes, it is true. You will have to pay for those separately, on top of the package. You can ask for a glass of Sierra Mist or club soda from the soda gun; those will be included.
You can't get any drink specials. If the normal price of the DOD is below $8.50, you can just order it normally (and on any day). If the normal price is above $8.50, you can't order it under the UBP, not even on the day that it's the DOD and the price goes under $8.50.
As another poster replied, cocktails up to $8.50 included. So a Martini at $8.75, do they charge .25 cents or the full $8.75?
People have reported different things:

• you get charged the full price of the non-included cocktail
  • the bar staff makes the drink differently or rings it up as something cheaper so it can be included
  • they ring the drink up normally with the price over $8.50, but it is still somehow included and you don't get charged extra
  • they refuse to serve you the drink and tell you to order something else

The one thing I have not seen reported is being able to pay just the difference above $8.50.

I am looking into this for myself right now, I think I am going to go for it. If I have a couple of specialty coffees, a few beers, and a fancy drink, I think it would pay for itself.
Again, specialty coffee drinks are not currently included. Edited by hawkeyetlse

So, I have read that the Bev package is $49/day, but having no idea what the normal prices of drinks are on NCL, it is really hard to decide if it is worth it for me. I usually like to get a beverage package, just so I don't have to think "ka-Ching" every time I order a drink, but I am not sure about this one.

Here are my normal daily drinking habits while on a cruise:

2 or 3 coffee drinks. Cappuccinos or lattes.

Lots and lots of water.

Some sparkling water (Pellegrino, etc.)

2 cocktails.

Maybe wine with dinner if it is drinkable, but I am happy with cocktails and water.

I tend to like the high end cocktails, such as Martinis.

I have heard that bottled water and coffee drinks are not included in the beverage package. Is this true? I read in one review that bottled water is $4.75/ liter on the European cruises. Ouch! Is there a water-like substance (no sugar and no caffeine) that is included in the package? Diet Sprite? Club soda? Something to hydrate after walking around all day?

Is there a good selection of cocktails that are included?

Is the wine that is included any good?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Usually, it's difficult to say whether the UBP would be worth it to someone, but based on that list it's easy in this case. No way would it be worth it if that's what you drink.

You would be paying $49 for 2 cocktails and some wine with dinner. As long as you are drinking less than a bottle of wine with your meal then you will be much better off without the package. Maybe a bottle and a half would put you at break even.

Most of what you have listed isn't even in the package.

Hi,

I knocked up a quick spreadsheet of drinks included that I would drink from the website someone has already mentioned (I primarily drink cocktails and wine)

Hope it helps :)

If its worth anything, I decided that it would be worth it for me - i did a quick run-down of what i would likely drink onboard and financially it makes sense for me to get the package. However I am a solo traveller and my circumstances are probably different to others, for example i dont have to purchase soda packages for kids etc.

Drinks Spreadsheet.xls

Did they change the rules about the UBP not being available March 1 - April 15th?

Apparently they are allowing people on European cruises (Spirit and Jade) to buy it.

People on the Spirit have confirmed getting it. They were told it applied to European cruises which is why I assume it's available on the Jade.

You can get the DOD without the souvenir glass for cheaper~ so that would make it covered

I've read here that they just tell you you can't order that drink as it's not available with the UBP~

What we found was they would make the drink in such a way as to be covered by the UBP. There were many martinis covered, but one night I wanted an appletini, which wasn't covered, so the bartender just used a cheaper vodka.

[quote name=hawkeyetlse;41945238

You can't get any drink specials. If the normal price of the DOD is below $8.50' date=' you can just order it normally (and on any day). If the normal price is above $8.50, you can't order it under the UBP, not even on the day that it's the DOD and the price goes under $8.50.

Again, specialty coffee drinks are not currently included[/quote]

I got the DOD every day - they were usually less expensive than the other items on the drink menu.

What we found was they would make the drink in such a way as to be covered by the UBP. There were many martinis covered, but one night I wanted an appletini, which wasn't covered, so the bartender just used a cheaper vodka.

On our last cruise, our bar bill for DH and me was under $300, so no way would it ever pay for us to buy the UDP. But, I suspect a lot about what is and is not covered will depend on the bartender. It really does pay to develop a relationship with them. DH and DS liked to get Bloody Mary's in the AM at O'Sheehans bar and chatted up the bartender the first day. He told them "2 for 1", and they inquired if it was a special. "Just for you" ;) they were told. And it was, every single day. They made sure he was well rewarded.