.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Great job Terri. Big thankyou but Jim wants to know cost for the Owners Suite.

If I were to spend $XXX,XXX.XX p/p, I would just charter SD and for sure take the OS. All that crew for just Mr & Mrs Jimbodini.:eek: Well, maybe a few Cruise Critic chums for comic relief.:D

Edited by Jim Avery

Now answer Hum's question: why Sea Dream ?

HH

We have a timeshare in Barbados and religiously go every Spring. In order to avoid the crowds in Bridgetown I usually look at the Barbados Port Authority website to see what ships are in port and choose a day that there are few are no ships.

When accessing the website I noticed SeaDream 1 was in port. Um! Never heard of it. Did a little bit of research and liked what I saw. Showed it to DH and he liked it too. So we talked to Miss Mary in Seattle and she gave her thumbs up as well.

So here we are. We are really looking forward to this new adventure.

We are veteran HAL cruisers (4* Mariners) who have chosen to walk away because of the ever deteriorating conditions, more and more cutbacks and poorer and poorer service. We felt as if we were throwing away our hard earned money.

From we are reading, it seems to be similar to our experience on our Tauck River Cruise a few years ago. That was really great. Hard to go back to HAL after that one. We're excited and can't wait to board on Jan. 16.

So we are looking for something upscale and hope that we have found it. It sounds like it.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Oh Ho Hum. That spinning cabin malarkey is so funny. I've been in one if those cabins too. I thought it was the motion in the Ocean, then discovered I was overnight in port!!! Went to guest services next morning and they said I had a condition called 'fartoomuchchampagnethenightbeforeitis'. Hope you have a great trip and I managed to download your email. Thank you, it was very kind from both of you. :)Enjoy your trip. Ali xx

Oh Ho Hum. That spinning cabin malarkey is so funny. I've been in one if those cabins too. I thought it was the motion in the Ocean, then discovered I was overnight in port!!! Went to guest services next morning and they said I had a condition called 'fartoomuchchampagnethenightbeforeitis'. Hope you have a great trip and I managed to download your email. Thank you, it was very kind from both of you. :)Enjoy your trip. Ali xx

Aaaaahhh !

So it's a real medical condition then: "fartoomuchchampagnethenightbeforeitis"

We must set up a charity immediately !

We alone will run it.

We must drink champagne regularly and note the effects at what stage this condition begins.

The main champagne houses are bound to support us in this important work with financial contributions as well as a regular pallet delivery once a month (1000 bottles....better make it once a fortnight) beginning with their top vintage and cuvee prestige champagnes.

We could re-plumb the bath water pipes to be supply brut champagne to note effect on skin when bathing. Now that would require an underground tank or two !

Look at how many lives we could assist who suffer from this debilitating condition.

Hum and Poppy for a start !

It may take a decade or two to find a cure but we will systematically proceed through every champagne until we do (hopefully never) !

Hum thinks this is Nobel Prize winning research !

Aahh the international acclaim at last.

Hum's glad you had mastered the Adobe Flash upgrade.

Two buttons you had to push !

Two !

And you probably got someone to do it.

But one way or other you did it unlike those soppy cabin dwellers in a remote settlement in the snowy tundra of C A N A Dugh ! A.

They have precious little mail as it is and Hum's seasonal greeting remains un-opened and what's even worse: un-acknowledged !!

Why does Hum even bother to display kindnesses to these wretches.

Suspect Commander Courageous believes it is an internet scam to extort him out of his winter supply of moose or the like !

Hum offered to assist him set up a new email account once.

The hullabaloo that ensued !! Oi vey !!!

Oooops.....sorry forgot.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Embarkation starts in 7 hours !!!

HHxx

Well let me well acknowledge Mr Hum's kind holiday wishes that arrived yesterday. I thought Miss Manners would cut me a little slack in my

delayed reply, as I was cleaning the beaver traps and down at the bog

harvesting the cranberry crop for the Christmas meal. It was a very

a very tasteful holiday scene and Hum's thoughtfulness was, as usual,

boundless. There, that should get him off my arse!

Last evening we had the traditional Turkey Supper at the Curling Club

with "all the fixings". One of the highlights of the heady social scene here

in the settlements! Today we'll be resting up for tonight's slugfest

between Hillary and the Bern... the American political scene provides great

entertainment to we expats eagerly awaiting construction of THE WALL.

Kisses all around as you and the Mrs embark. Don't scare the Captain

off like Lisbon, as they are running out of extras.

Well let me well acknowledge Mr Hum's kind holiday wishes that arrived yesterday. I thought Miss Manners would cut me a little slack in my

delayed reply, as I was cleaning the beaver traps and down at the bog

harvesting the cranberry crop for the Christmas meal. It was a very

a very tasteful holiday scene and Hum's thoughtfulness was, as usual,

boundless. There, that should get him off my arse!

Last evening we had the traditional Turkey Supper at the Curling Club

with "all the fixings". One of the highlights of the heady social scene here

in the settlements! Today we'll be resting up for tonight's slugfest

between Hillary and the Bern... the American political scene provides great

entertainment to we expats eagerly awaiting construction of THE WALL.

Kisses all around as you and the Mrs embark. Don't scare the Captain

off like Lisbon, as they are running out of extras.

"You give as good as ye get" Commander and you know it.

Judging by your tone young man, Hum suspects you have that old "moonshine" still back in working order.

Be careful you know it can make you a little......well, cranky (he really means more cranky).

And now all of Canada is puffing away on marijuana too, it makes for a heady cocktail of depravity, loose morals and "punchy" trash talk ....... Yes Hum's kinda place ! Yeehaw ! (To borrow a phrase from someone south of the border, literally and metaphorically).

Dearest Commander, ecoutez-moi, Hum was actually referring to the card sent by the internet: an E-CARD......not the actual physical card.

The card was sent on 12 December, 2015......,it's probably sitting in SPAM.

Go look, Hum can await your grovelling apology.

Yeah right ! As you are often heard to say.

You see folks what it's like between us ?

Frustrating but very rewarding and Hum values the friendship.

You're having a WALL to ?

Hum thought it was only between the US and Mexico.

Maybe they can get the Mexicans to build them.

But bearing in mind the "moonshine" soaked, weed addled, settlers in your community maybe they should build the wall around there !

Oh the Democrat "race" is so dull.

Between another one that also has problems with emails and the Kentucky Fried Chicken guy (Colonel Sanders).

The Republican one is fascinating like a "slow mo car crash".

What is that guy going to say next ?

Maybe Hum should stand to. He also speaks drivel with commanding confidence, has weird hair and has a fabulous Lady for the White House.

Hum's first act is to build a wall across CANADA's border.

Anyway enough of this banter.

Thanks for your good wishes.....wish you and trapper Abenaki could be here.

Kisses right back at ye !

Off for drinks with chums we met in the lobby of the hotel who had just left SDII.

BOARD IN 4 hours.

Time for a few bottles.

So Mr. Hum, you asked "Why SeaDream?" And I told you.

Are you all such a tight-knit group that no one is going to extend a welcome?

Will we feel we are outsiders on our sailing as well?

Terri

Your presumptions are plainly wrong, so a reply to the "loaded" and pejorative questions are invalid.

If you have a friendly attitude to fellow voyagers then you are guaranteed a great time and SD is a very friendly and inclusive place to be.

Because there are no personal balconies and lots of open deck areas, you meet lots of other people and so a friendly exchange ensues leading to sharing dinner and very often friendships some of which continue way beyond.

This forum is a bit odd and Hum too is a bit odd resulting sometimes in banter between some. You metaphorically "walked in" at a particularly feisty (but friendly) time. That's not your fault but just saying how it was.

Rarely, there are cliques and if you assumed that by the jocular languaging used that Hum was somehow un-friendly, aloof and un-welcoming then you are mistaken...grievously.

Terri, Hum has read some of your posts and you are a direct lady, very direct.

Hum was simply reflecting that back at you with humour.

If you missed the humour then so be it.

How can Hum welcome you ? He is a simple voyager; it is not his place.

So, using a language that is more appropriate to your nature.

"Have a great time on SD. Hum sincerely wishes you all the very best"

And please, please, please let us ALL know of your opinions of the voyage.

Your directness, succinctness and experience on other ships is invaluable.

Hum hopes this has "cleared the air" and sincerely wishes you well.

You know those mornings after the night before when you say to yourself "How much did I drink and I hope I did'nt upset too many people" then you re-run in your mind events that you can hazily recall.

Well Hum re-visited his reply pist to Terri and was much relieved to find he was really very nice.

As evidenced by these few lines:

- We all hope you will have a "wunderbra" time on SD.

- Please Terri, tell us what you really think when you complete the voyage.....don't hold back.

- Loving you already !

- Truly though, you have an established loyalty with a company and that tells us a lot about you.

- And Hum really would love to hear your forthright views.......as Hum dare's say, others wood2.

Can Hum go back to sleep now......last night was wild !

First day onboard.

To expound a bit more. I am really a friendly soul. I guess I feel like a fish out of water on this forum.

I am new to SD. Both DH and I want to fit in and we do not keep to ourselves on a cruise. The only experience we have had that can be similar to SD is a Tauck River Cruise that had 100 cruisers. Everyone was friendly and mingled with each other and we had a great time. Looking forward to the same on SD.

Thank you for your kind words HH and I will be sure to give my impressions when we return.

Terri

Hi Terri.

We are veteran Cunarders and have had a nice HAL cruise out of San Diego. We found SeaDream after the chaos of the Maiden Voyage of the Queen Mary 2. As soon as we arrived home I Googled "small ship cruises" and SeaDream popped up. Other than a few voyages marred by bunches of children on board, SeaDream has been our cruise of choice ever since. The passengers and crew are the difference. The crew is outstanding in every way and the passengers are a much more relaxed bunch than we have encountered on the mass market lines. This forum also is very different in that we can (and do from time to time) have differences of opinion but it is rare to be flamed as happens regularly on Cunard, HAL, Princess, etc. if you have the audacity to cross the "party line". Here the opposing view is usually presented in a civil manner and with reasons for the opinion. We have made fast friends on SeaDream over the years and you surely will too if SeaDream is to your taste. No shows, no water slides, just excellent food, service, drink, and companions. :D

Hi Terri.

We are veteran Cunarders and have had a nice HAL cruise out of San Diego. We found SeaDream after the chaos of the Maiden Voyage of the Queen Mary 2. As soon as we arrived home I Googled "small ship cruises" and SeaDream popped up. Other than a few voyages marred by bunches of children on board, SeaDream has been our cruise of choice ever since. The passengers and crew are the difference. The crew is outstanding in every way and the passengers are a much more relaxed bunch than we have encountered on the mass market lines. This forum also is very different in that we can (and do from time to time) have differences of opinion but it is rare to be flamed as happens regularly on Cunard, HAL, Princess, etc. if you have the audacity to cross the "party line". Here the opposing view is usually presented in a civil manner and with reasons for the opinion. We have made fast friends on SeaDream over the years and you surely will too if SeaDream is to your taste. No shows, no water slides, just excellent food, service, drink, and companions. :D

Thanks, sounds like we will enjoy ourselves. We're looking forward to it.

Terri

South Friars Bay, St.Kitts & Gustavia, St.Barts, FWI

A choppy run out of St.Thomas where we boarded.

A predominantly American group as you would expect incorporating 5 families with 13 children which Hum did not expect.

Essentially there are just 2 babies and the parents are very responsible and attentive but even so. Hum introduces himself to most of them. They are very decent people. Hum has to watch his language and a few social dillemmas have arisen involving Hum having to move tables. He does it quietly and without fuss but the reason is clear. C'est la vie.

The weather is glorious. A partially cloudy sky which is perfect and a wonderful breeze which lifts the humidity but some love humidity, it makes their joints feel lubricated they say.

Hum gorges himself on some delicious and subtly prepared Indian dishes; the best ever and Hum regularly scores them the highest. Blondie's turbot looked beautiful and tasted divine.

There are two sets of chums whom we have known before but last night we had a romantic meal for two on the back deck.

Two fantastic wines are selected for the voyage (which the sommelier continually replaces). A Chablis premier cru and a Gigondas (Cote du Rhone). Very well priced too by great winemakers, La Chablisienne and E.Guigal if you're interested.

SDI is at Grande de Anse, Martinique, FWI.

Great to be onboard and Hum hears two rumours that if true would be fantastic news !

Sorry, Hum's sources are buried deep into the organisation and their lives may be in danger if Hum blabbed.......which Hum cannot wait to do !

There are two new faces amongst the bar and waiting crew. Both "top notch" appointments.....how does Ingrid at Oslo do it ?

Yes, Ho, the card was in Junk Mail (the category so assigned by our

convoluted and antiquated service provider). You will appreciate

that it is not a category I frequent with any regularity, but probably

put there because the e-card purveyor was not recognized. Whew!

Now that I have that off my chest, enough with the tantilizing

tidbits. You must know that "all the ships at sea" (yes, Walter

Winchell) wait in eager anticipation for confirmation of rumors you

so sparingly edify ... let me guess: a Captain returns to the roost,

a new ship(s) is in the offing, the merger and aquisition folks are

at work. Come on old chap, spill the beans.

By the time for read this, "our" table will be set for breakfast awaiting

Blondie's retrun from the gym. Lay on the Marmite! Sounds like the

Kids are well behaved and there are no diapers in the hot tub.

Love to all!