.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Onboard last year at Christmas the only real issue was the pool was so full of children you couldn't get near it. The good news was that this meant there were almost no tiny tipplers in the bars. Never mind, it was all good fun and being able to escape ashore in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta certainly helped.......SeaDream? Of course not.....Holland America out of San Diego. But on Christmas, turkey was had by all.... Ho Ho Ho.:eek:

Rotten scoundrel !

Ho Ho Ho ...... Hum

Your new found brevity of posts should have you re title "Idle Jottings" to "Idle Post It Notes from Hum".:eek::D

Please Jim select what you consider an appropriate reply from the following:

- you don't say

- ruddy cheek

- really

- gosh

- hmmm

- is Hum bothered

- so true

- ctbjr 1309 would be proud

- do you think Hum really gives a #?€+\!

- Hum likes to mix it up

- you're getting like Commander Courageous (god help you)

- do you go around ALL the other forums offering pertinent observations of post lengths. No Hum did'nt think so

- consider it a "tapas" style of nourishing oneself. Difficult to enlighten a "meat and two veg" kinda guy or is it just a burger

- do posts have to conform to a "Jim Avery" size and content criteria and if so does this extend beyond the State line ?

- consider them as rare and fine jewels.

- you're probably not a fan of "haiku" property either; more a "a boy stood on the burning deck" kind of guy

Hum could go on..........and on......and on.

Ho Hum. Sorry tell you about Santa. I found out a long time ago he doesn't exist!!!! Think it was the year I wanted a skateboard (yes I was a bit of a tomboy) and found my present in my parents wardrobe about 12 Dec. so every day after school I would come home, check no one was around, get my skateboard from their wardrobe and skate up and down the upstairs landing for an hour or so. Being an old house (120 years +) it was a very very long landing so after an hour I was knackered. By Xmas day I was bored stupid of it. anyway wish I was out of here too for Xmas and onboard somewhere for Xmas. Happy sailing!!:)

Oh Poppy, Poppy...........fastidious Poppy !

Say it isn’t so…....have you never watched these “modern day” documentaries ?

[YOUTUBE]yiypbCFV7Ao [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]09y7E7UYq10 [/YOUTUBE]

Of course Santa exists…. just because Santa delivers early to very good children, you mustn’t dis-believe.

Hum does not know where he would be if he didn’t believe that human beings are essentially good… even naughty Hum has moments of spectacular goodness…and not just when he is imbibing Dom Perignon…but by God it helps !!!

HH&B xx

PS And just what were you doing in your parent’s wardrobe young lady ?

Please Jim select what you consider an appropriate reply from the following:

- you don't say

- ruddy cheek

- really

- gosh

- hmmm

- is Hum bothered

- so true

- ctbjr 1309 would be proud

- do you think Hum really gives a #?€+\!

- Hum likes to mix it up

- you're getting like Commander Courageous (god help you)

- do you go around ALL the other forums offering pertinent observations of post lengths. No Hum did'nt think so

- consider it a "tapas" style of nourishing oneself. Difficult to enlighten a "meat and two veg" kinda guy or is it just a burger

- do posts have to conform to a "Jim Avery" size and content criteria and if so does this extend beyond the State line ?

- consider them as rare and fine jewels.

- you're probably not a fan of "haiku" property either; more a "a boy stood on the burning deck" kind of guy

Hum could go on..........and on......and on.

I consider them all appropriate (at some level) and do consider them more desirable than jewels. But, don't you remember that you should do as I say, not as I do? Didn't your Mother ever tell you that? Commander and I went to that school.:D

It's amazing who you pick up on the "Soggy Dollar Bar" vid-cam at Joost Van Dyke on a Saturday ........ is that the ruggedly handsome, American "homeless" guy and a few of his chums drinking a cold beer ?

You should check it out sometime.......it's fun to drop into the Caribbean from time to time to see SDII and escape the winter blues.

Hmmmm. Looks to me as if Painkillers were on offer. I've never known any self-respecting beer drinker to drink a beer from such a small cup.

Edited by ctbjr1309

Are there any cabins left on this cruise - gcmv needs some more photos - great chance to take the best ever ... :D

Take care, ho-hum and special x-mas-greetings to Blondie! ;)

No cabins left ! Sorry.

But you could use the "Golf Simulator" room on the top deck.

Thanks GCMV will pass on your special X-mas greetings to Blondie and Seasons Greetings reciprocated to you lovely, lovely people.

There is a debate in this once great country, by the over-sensitive, "mamby pamby", "bleedin' heart" brigade that using terms like God, Xmas, Bless You is somehow dis-respectful to others of different faith or no faith and up-tight "leftie" morons.

Well, as you know, Hum is the soul of tolerance and never says a vexatious word about his fellow man (OK, except Norwegians !) but how damnably silly have certain people become........no people have been silly since the "Apple affair"........in that Garden.

Are'nt we encouraged to eat more fruit anyway ?

Crazy, crazy rules.......mind you, love the wine trick...sorry Hum means miracle...yeah right !

Hum would ask "And Lord what type of wine will you be serving ?"

Assume old Hum means ... troubled or confused!

Your postings, as suggested, have become far too pithy and

erudite for those non-Owner's Suite occupants who,

in the past, have come to rely on your wit and incisiveness.

Call up The Vineking for another case of Moet & Chandon and

return to the verboseness long your hallmark.

Merry Christmas and love to all aboard over the holidays.:)

Sadly,

even IJ will burn,

to cinder,

in the fire of time.

Haha……and a tip-top, wonderful good day to you Raggy m’lad !!!

And what may Hum enquire has caused this desperately sad and poignant quote ?

Has the racking of your wine cellar collapsed ?

Have the workmen walked off with your entire collection of “Ernest & Gallo, Californian Rose Blush; the 5 litre box pack, Wal-Mart edition ?"

Have you been to one of 'em Pentecostal revival meetings.

All those "fire and brimstone" stormy sermons, talking in tongues and holding dozens of rattlers as faith in the Lawd.

Well give it up, it does'nt suit you. Besides Jim and old Hum will miss you if you do get to that place in the sky (fat chance by the way).

Oh Raggy, you a scientist guy and all must know that nothing ever dies….and what of time too ?

Doesn’t exist….’cept when Hum is waiting for a drink !!!

The truth layeth before you Grasshopper….sorry Ragghopper…sorry Raggy

Does not your amigo “Butch” not give you a clue ?

And where does he live…………..Phoenix (VotSuns) !

And what happened to the Phoenix ?

Yes reborn from it’s own ashes.

image_zpsw1nvfrhz.jpeg

And if you look in your pocket and pull out a dollar, there you will find the Phoenix….not an eagle as people assume.

An ever present reminder that nothing ever dies…..just a shuffling around of appearances.

And so….”idle jottings” will be reborn after the present incumbent “drops off life”s perch” and there will come another with time on his/her hands wishing to seek fellow chums about some banality or other (matters not a jot what it is supposedly about)………..ho hum and on we go.

Now let us all play a tribute to Jimmy’s “Summer of ’69”. Actual footage of Jim….yes he looks quite similar to Bryan Adams…..who has a house in Mustique which Hum visited in the early days of SD and there we have a link to SD !

You ruddy genius Hum………….yes Hum knows…………

[YOUTUBE]9f06QZCVUHg[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmmm. Looks to me as if Painkillers were on offer. I've never known any self-respecting beer drinker to drink a beer from such a small cup.

For "Painkiller virgins" beware !

The Painkiller is a blend of:

- Pusser's Rum (2,3/4 ounces)

- 4 parts pineapple juice

- 1 part cream of coconut

- 1 part orange juice

- well shaken and served over the rocks with a generous amount of fresh nutmeg on top.

Reputation has it [per Edward Hamilton's 1997 book The Complete Guide to Rum p.*47] that the original Painkiller was created in the 1970s at the Soggy Dollar Bar at White Bay on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands.

It was reported being drunk by ctbjr1309 on a recent trip to said bar on said island.

No incidents were known to have occurred ...........which cannot be said about a portly, English gentleman (gentleman, indeed, ehh Cabbie !) approaching his "best before date" years: who several years earlier, having consumed more than 9 (precise numbers are a blur), had to be carried by five waiting crew into a zodiac, fitted with a life vest and then somehow assisted out of the zodiac, taken up the stairs and left on a sun bed to recover his senses.

However seeing some potential new chums in the swimming pool he joined the group which comprised of 7 young, athletic, Belgian hairdressers in speedos that were having a gay old time of it frolicking about in the pool. Hum's father would have referred to them as "boys from Nancy" or something along those lines. Anyway they were great fun and perfectly mannered and respectful.

However later that day the "gentleman" felt "out of sorts" and later swore never to drink another "Painkiller", ever, ever AGAIN !!!

The following year, the same wretch AGAIN consumed somewhat less than the previous year as he was able to return to the vessel with the minimum of assistance though he had reason to complain on the Guest Comment Card that he found the spinning ceiling in his Stateroom (cabin to you and Hum) un-acceptable for a supposed prestige vessel and failed to surface for dinner in the evening.

And still to this day SD appear to have done very little about the issue of spinning ceilings, as it occasionally still re-occurs.

Extraordinary !

Why are not these ceilings better maintained !

Disgraceful condition.

And the lesson ?

Beware of waiting staff offering you Painkillers at JVD ! They are lethal (well more than 3 are).

Ho-Hum, missed you by a day at the Soggy. Today we sailed by the SD II anchored near Soper's Hole at the West End of Tortola. She looked mighty nice.

Then consider yourself truly blessed !

That Hum character would have "stung" you for drinks all day long.......in his "lost wallet" scam !

But in fact, twas not Hum, Commodoredave.

Twas a real legend of SD and a jolly nice chap: a heart of gold with the most amazing lady (Hum is besotted).

A good chum of Hum, whom Hum was simply reporting who has been sailing SD many a year.

However it is great to hear from you Dave.

Maybe Hum will you see you onboard one day now that most of your legitimate historical concerns seem to either have been quietly addressed or have subsided.

Anyway...nice to hear from you and hope you are having (or have had) a nice time around the BVIs and elsewhere.

All the very best my friend.

Assume old Hum means ... troubled or confused!

Your postings, as suggested, have become far too pithy and

erudite for those non-Owner's Suite occupants who,

in the past, have come to rely on your wit and incisiveness.

Call up The Vineking for another case of Moet & Chandon and

return to the verboseness long your hallmark.

Merry Christmas and love to all aboard over the holidays.:)

"Far too pithy ?"..........Hum is sparing you from your fellow cabin dweller's description of Hum's offerings whom he described as drivel ?

Oh do make up your minds !

Hum suspects the long winters are drawing ever closer hence your need for some "divertissement" however mundane.........

By the way, you have yet to acknowledge Hum's acquisition of a Kohle generator......you were so instrumental in Hum's acquisition.....we call it "Bill": no reason.

Just received the annual Holiday greeting card from the SD owner.

Some people get extraordinary recognition ... we get a card. Only

kidding, its the thought that counts. Oh, I forgot I have a

generator named after me and that is enough.

Now, as you embark on extended holidays, your faithful readers

eagerly await your musings on the comings and goings aboard ship.

And yes, winter has set in so hearing from you no matter how

mundane, keeps us away from the 12 step weekly meetings.

Love to Mrs Hum as she tries to squeeze yet another pair of Manolo's into

her steamer trunk. Now off for a ride in my new '16 Outback. It will

take me another 3 years to figure out all the features.

Mr. Hum, did you get the SD email detailing the Med Cruise/ Private 757 tour of Africa? I am scared to ask them how much but It looks to be a fantastic trip. We still kick ourselves for missing the Egypt special tour a few years back.

Pull the other one !

Hum has noted you are 5,999 posts !

Sitting in wonderful Miami airport but the internet doth sucketh !

Pull the other one !

Hum has noted you are 5,999 posts !

Sitting in wonderful Miami airport but the internet doth sucketh !

MIA is one of the Wonder Spots of the planet. Not many places like it (thank God). Now pull the other what? The other leg? The other finger??:eek: I did get an email from SD touting a Med Cruise then transfer to a 757 configured for 52 passengers that makes 4 stops in Africa for various events then deposits one in LHR. Right up your alley??

MIA is one of the Wonder Spots of the planet. Not many places like it (thank God). Now pull the other what? The other leg? The other finger??:eek: I did get an email from SD touting a Med Cruise then transfer to a 757 configured for 52 passengers that makes 4 stops in Africa for various events then deposits one in LHR. Right up your alley??

Sincere apologies, Blondie confirmd it.

And she said it as a very odd thing to do...hy would you do it through SD ?

It's not through SD -- it's through a travel agency. Looks like they have a block of cabins for a Med cruise sandwiched between UK and Africa. Don't want to think about the total price -- the cruise portion would probably be the only reasonable part, but doubt you could break out only that piece.

Vandrefalk

Mr. Hum, did you get the SD email detailing the Med Cruise/ Private 757 tour of Africa? I am scared to ask them how much but It looks to be a fantastic trip. We still kick ourselves for missing the Egypt special tour a few years back.

Found it !!

See link:

http://www.seadream.com/sea-sky-safari

Still dont see the link between a Med cruise and Africa......maybe northern Africa (in the past but no one's going because of issues....exceptin' Morocco).

It's not through SD -- it's through a travel agency. Looks like they have a block of cabins for a Med cruise sandwiched between UK and Africa. Don't want to think about the total price -- the cruise portion would probably be the only reasonable part, but doubt you could break out only that piece.

Vandrefalk

Yes, and if they sell it, does it mean there will be a 52 passenger group on SD? I'm with you, scared to ask what it costs.:eek::D

Sincere apologies, Blondie confirmd it.

And she said it as a very odd thing to do...hy would you do it through SD ?

No apologies needed. You know I would never pull your leg......Or your finger. And yes, I don't really see the connection either, more like two different holidays just back to back.

Then consider yourself truly blessed !

That Hum character would have "stung" you for drinks all day long.......in his "lost wallet" scam !

But in fact, twas not Hum, Commodoredave.

Twas a real legend of SD and a jolly nice chap: a heart of gold with the most amazing lady (Hum is besotted).

A good chum of Hum, whom Hum was simply reporting who has been sailing SD many a year.

However it is great to hear from you Dave.

Maybe Hum will you see you onboard one day now that most of your legitimate historical concerns seem to either have been quietly addressed or have subsided.

Anyway...nice to hear from you and hope you are having (or have had) a nice time around the BVIs and elsewhere.

All the very best my friend.

Thanks for you best wishes. Arrived home in our Florida winter abode yesterday after a spectacular 2 weeks in the BVI that was mostly land based, but included some bareboat sailing. DW does not enjoy sailing on small boats anymore, so our next sea-cation in the Caribbean will almost certainly be on SD.

Best wishes to one and all for the holidays.

The sea portion is the same itinerary that SDII is doing this spring (and we are doing the following week on SDI), but SD has not posted its 2017 itineraries yet. Can't tell, therefore, if this will be a charter for one week, or if the 52 will be half of the ship's passengers. If the latter, I wouldn't be concerned about cliques, Jim, because this is the beginning of their trip and they will likely be a diverse group that would probably blend in with the remaining passengers. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a few SD regulars doing this package.

Zimmy's DH