.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Kathy, below is a great link with lots of info.

Hum was thinking of the "Wild Atlantic" route.

Try ireland.com too for travel advice too.

The Irish Tourist board is very efficient.

Link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/travel/visit-ireland/11919033/places-to-visit-in-ireland.html?WT.mc_id=tmgspk_plrprt_605964_11919033&utm_source=tmgspk&utm_medium=plrprt&utm_content=605964&utm_campaign=tmgspk_plrprt_605964_11919033&plr=1#!/

You could do the entire coastal round trip in about two weeks !

Edited by ho-hum

Before filming for this travel documentary began Hum asked the BBC film maker if he had any advice.

His reply was "Just be yourself Hum".

That's it we're doomed ! Muttered Blondie.

Prophetic words.

Haha

Have to agree with she who knows you best. Not to would be imprudent.

Have to agree with she who knows you best. Not to would be imprudent.

Well the plan to visit you in Arizona (whilst also visiting Jim and Raggy) has just been abruptly cancelled !!

Visiting you would be imprudent !

Haha

PS Could still (very, very easily) be persuaded otherwise.

And dont forget Hum's (almost) fully house trained.

Don't worry, will bring own champagne (to share, copiously).

I think Raggy is just speechless to think of us coming to visit him. He is so excited.......Obviously.

Hmmmm......not so sure about that Jim.

First it's that business with the light not being right......is he half blind or something ?

Then he doesn't say much these days ....... guess he's spending most of his time at that wildlife refuge in Oregon with his gun buddies.....well at least it keeps him out of trouble.

Essential road trip music for Ireland

[YOUTUBE]32-WdYOeJLk [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tHDX9qb2-BQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5CWIIoSf4nw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CBRQM0vErH8 [/YOUTUBE]

Irish immigration requires that ALL visitors know the lyrics BEFORE entering the country.

Hum does'nt make the rules !

Edited by ho-hum

Well the plan to visit you in Arizona (whilst also visiting Jim and Raggy) has just been abruptly cancelled !!

Visiting you would be imprudent !

Haha

PS Could still (very, very easily) be persuaded otherwise.

And dont forget Hum's (almost) fully house trained.

Don't worry, will bring own champagne (to share, copiously).

I've read your response to my Better Half who asked me how I could have been so callous in my comment to you. She was a bit concerned with the (almost) housebroken comment, but since she's trained our German Shepherds she thought she could take the task on of completing your training.

We look forward to welcoming you with open arms and hearts when we can confirm your travels to the New World.

Verbose drivel as requested by Commander Courageous.

And yes it was written quite a while ago (at the start of this trip).

And so we say our adieus to ALL the crew (well the three in our tiny section) and wish one another luck for the Immigration to follow !!

We speedily arrive (this time. No temporary panels , winding you this way and that.) at Immigration Hall.....empty !

We are directed to automatic scanners. Nobody can work them. Hum manages but Blondie is denied. You have to place four finger digits at precisely the right pressure on the pad. Blondie fails, nearly everyone fails. So we have to traipse to the "failed as a human being, doing a simple task of putting four fingers on a plate. How easy could it be ? Neanderthals LINE".

Hum had a slight altercation with a puny, armed attendant when he refused to go through the ridiculous horizontal lines and simply went directly. Hum was warned and told to traverse the correct way, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and arrive where he is standing (where Hum was standing just moments ago).

Hum advises him curtly that he "does not approve of his tone or attitude".

Yes big mistake. Admitted.

Fortunately before he can pull big gun out and pistol whiplash Hum or spray him with Mace or get out the taser, he is called to the cubicle with the dumb Blonde incapable of providing fingerprints.

"Happens all the time" the big man in the cubicle says to a much relieved Blondie.

"Dont know why they bother with 'em", he adds.

We enjoy a perfect "tete a tete" even adding some humour (of the restrained variety......dont want to cause offence and get arrested).

And we are through !

All bags arrive moments later !

Though to re-check in and off to Lounge.

If Terminal 3 in London was the "pits" then Miami is even worse......so noisy.

Snacks disgusting.

And so the 4 hour wait began.

The sights you see, the sights you see !

Hum begs Blondie to move in the packed Lounge after witnessing one display after another of "human" behaviour.

The worst was a young hip couple and their three "brats".

They were allowed to do anything.

AND THEY DID !

Hum could'nt watch but he did as one by one they fell off things, into things etc,. Screaming their tiny lungs out.

Hum had to move despite Blondie's protestations of "not again" !

The toe nail snipping was the last straw !

I've read your response to my Better Half who asked me how I could have been so callous in my comment to you. She was a bit concerned with the (almost) housebroken comment, but since she's trained our German Shepherds she thought she could take the task on of completing your training.

We look forward to welcoming you with open arms and hearts when we can confirm your travels to the New World.

Aw schucks.

Almost time for my first SD experience.

What does people reccomend? Feb 13th St. thomas-St.thomas. 8 nights.

Vel hei og velkommen til Sea Dream (Well hello and welcome to Sea Dream).

Ho Hum ain't the right one to ask if you are an adventurer and as this is your first time on SD, you will no doubt wish to "see it all".

Hum is a creature of comfort and stays on the boat except for St.Barts and the beach party (JVD).

Yes all that way and you stay on the boat !!

Yes Hum is such a slob. He just loves being on the boat.

Hum has taken the liberty (and Hum takes an awful lot of liberties !) of listing the Ports of Call so others might like to "chip in" with their thoughts and recommendations.

What do you like ? Are you young (Hum's age........at heart or Jim's age.......wont see 125 !) ? Are you a foodie ? If the latter, you must book a restaurant in St.Barts or go shopping or both.

ITINERARY: PIRTS OF CALL

Feb 13, 2016: Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

Feb 14, 2016: Cruz Bay, St John, U.S.V.I.

Feb 15, 2016: North Sound, Virgin Gorda, B. V. I.

Feb 16, 2016: Sandy Ground, Anguilla, B.W.I.

Feb 17, 2016: Marigot, Saint Martin, F.W.I.

Feb 17, 2016: Gustavia, St. Barts, F.W.I.

Feb 18, 2016: Gustavia, St. Barts, F.W.I.

Feb 19, 2016: White Bay, Jost van Dyke, B. V. I.

Feb 20, 2016: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Feb 21, 2016: Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

Hum has also listed all the "Land Adventures" planned.....yes Hum is very thoughtful.

Of course if you go into the website then you will discover much more information.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Golf at Mahogany Run

Paradise from Above

Downtown Shopping and Highlights of St. Thomas

Two Beaches and Island Drive

Cruz Bay, St John

National Park Kayak Adventure

The Underwater Snorkel Trails of Trunk Bay

Gustavia

Blue Cat Snorkel Adventure

Dive St. Barts – One Tank

Island Tour by ATV

St. Barts Semi-Submersible – "Under The Sea..."

Marigot

America's Cup 12-Meter Regatta

Deep Sea Fishing

The Zip-Line Lovers Zip Line - Extreme

Orient Bay Beach Transfer

North Sound, Virgin Gorda

The Dolphin Encounter

B.V.I. Snorkeling at "The Dogs"

The Baths

The Dolphin Encounter

Two Tank - B.V.I. Certified Scuba Dive

Sandy Ground, Anguilla, B.W.I.

Golf at Cuisinart Resort

The Dolphin Encounter

White Bay, Jost van Dyke

National Park Snorkel Adventure

Well all the best and please tell us all about your first experience.

Thank you Hum. Me like that!

Foodie? Yes, I ©AM.

Not young, not old. But can talk to everyone, social, outgoing, loves the good life.

Never done luxury cruising before.

Have done Azamara, Celebrity, RCCL and carnival(not again, glad it was a 4 day).............................

Will spend days on the Yacht(I like calling it what it is, not going on a ship, going on a Yacht. ) Sounds much better.

Love to relax and enjoy life, but this soul needs him some activites as well.

Not the boring sitting on a bus to the beach, but zip line, high thrill stuff.

Jost is the beach party normaly here right?

Scspartan, I would highly recommend taking the excursion to "The Baths" at Virgin Gorda if you've never been, spectacularly beautiful! I agree with Ho (I like to pretend I'm on first name basis with Mr. Hum) staying on the boat while everyone else is out-and-about is a great way to spend the day. Take a swim off the back of the boat, book a massage, have the pool almost to yourself, drinks delivered at your whim, sunglasses cleaned....ahhh. You've selected a great itinerary, enjoy!

St. Baths is one port-of-call not to be missed.

Walk along the waterfront and see some of the world's most

spectacular yachts, browse the Pucci/Gucci shops (bring your credit cards),

and try a couple of off-ship lunches.

My recommendation # 1 - The Hotel Guanahani - Located about 10 minutes from the tender dock, in Grand Cul-de-Sac ... make a reservation at 1-800-216-3774. Ask for Tony and have him set aside a chaise on the beach for you after lunch. The spaghetti alle vongole better than Italy! Eat at tables on the beach, with your feet in the sand. Tell him you are

off Sea Dream.

Recommendation # 2 - La Gloriette, also in Grand Cul-de-Sac, for the more

price conscious, but equally great food. You'll also sit at tables in the

sand and can swim at their beach following lunch. The grilled whole

lobster is not to be missed, and is a specialty of the house.

Other five-star restaurants in St. Barths are: Eden Roc, Cheval Blanc,

and Le Serano. Skip Le Toiny ... under new management, and still

trying to get themselves in order. These are all for the seen and be seen, but my # 1 & #2 and for foodies and those wanting a nice beach to

relax on after lunch.

Bon Appetit!

St. Baths is one port-of-call not to be missed.

Walk along the waterfront and see some of the world's most

spectacular yachts, browse the Pucci/Gucci shops (bring your credit cards),

and try a couple of off-ship lunches.

My recommendation # 1 - The Hotel Guanahani - Located about 10 minutes from the tender dock, in Grand Cul-de-Sac ... make a reservation at 1-800-216-3774. Ask for Tony and have him set aside a chaise on the beach for you after lunch. The spaghetti alle vongole better than Italy! Eat at tables on the beach, with your feet in the sand. Tell him you are

off Sea Dream.

Recommendation # 2 - La Gloriette, also in Grand Cul-de-Sac, for the more

price conscious, but equally great food. You'll also sit at tables in the

sand and can swim at their beach following lunch. The grilled whole

lobster is not to be missed, and is a specialty of the house.

Other five-star restaurants in St. Barths are: Eden Roc, Cheval Blanc,

and Le Serano. Skip Le Toiny ... under new management, and still

trying to get themselves in order. These are all for the seen and be seen, but my # 1 & #2 and for foodies and those wanting a nice beach to

relax on after lunch.

Bon Appetit!

Let's not forget Le Select, the eat under the trees spot in town where the main food is charcoaled burgers and cold Presidente beer. Ruminate on if this is really where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise" as claimed, while celebrity watching. We actually saw Ho-Hum & Blondie shopping across the street.:D

But for a burger and brew, I would stay aboard SD.

I see Ho and Blondie have now reached "celebrity status" ...

and I remember them when!

Do they still acknowledge the "little people"?

We agree with the burger and brew aboard but they don't sell the T-shirt.:eek: That is what passes for formal wear in the desert. Yes, H-H & B are very much celebrity status these days. We are so grateful to be included in some of their adventures. For being so famous, they are remarkably gracious to us "little people".:D Only the minimum bowing and scraping required.......:D

In Puerto Rico rent a car at the Sheraton (Hertz counter there) across the street from the pier and drive out to see the massive Arecibo radio telescope (2hrs each way). After dropping the car back at the hotel, walk up to the fort. You will be ready for a drink or three after that day :rolleyes:

Is that James Bond villain still laying at the bottom of that scope???:eek::D

Verbose drivel as requested by Commander Courageous.

Finally we boarded.

Hum can only describe the Afro-Caribbean (predominant) crew as a "laugh along" gaggle of very humorous ladies whom Hum adored. The safety briefing video was hilarious.

But Hum's fellow passengers ! Yuk !

And just who walks into the same front section as Hum ?

You guessed it....the "happy clappy" family from hell and their "brats" !!

Hum was asked if he would like a drink with his meal....it went like this:

Don't suppose you have any champagne ?

Yes

Along comes bottle, it is sparkling something or other from Texas, so Hum apologises, decline offering of the "Sparkling Star Spangled Banner' fizz and request again.

Do you have any Chardonnay.

No we only have Sauvignon....strange !America produces very little Sauvignon (and none that is any good but great Chardonnay).

OK so what about a Cabernet Sauvignon ?

Stewardess walks half way along aisle and shouts "DO WE HAVE ANY CABERNET SAUVIGNON" ? to her colleague just 10 feet away (for some reason emphasising the "G" !).

A bottle is held up and checked. Even the underside peculiarly !).

NO, WE ONLY HAVE MERLOT (the "OT" part is pronounced as HOT !) is shouted even louder back and then repeated to Hum as if Hum had somehow failed to hear this "whale of a woman"...well "whale" !

OK, so Hum will just have a sparkling water.

We only have flat.

Flat ?

OK flat then.

A glass of ice is delivered.

Hum enquires what is this.

Water.

It's just ice, Hum corrects her.

No there is some water in it.

May Hum have a glass of water.....hold the ice (Hum heard that phrase on an episode of "Friends" once....for some reason it stuck. Possibly because of the gorgeous Jennifer Aniston was saying it).

OK she says looking quizzically at Hum .... as does the now gaping, open mouthed surrounding "cattle".... sorry passengers looking at Hum as the worst English snob they had ever met !

Hum skipped the "meal" to avoid any further embarrassment.

A wise move. Congealed "gloop". No that's unkind....... to congealed "gloop" !!!

Blondie seized the opportunity to take Hum's potential pasta meal and requested Hum's salad.

The few lettuce leaves were drenched in more "gloop" with dark speckles over it.

When she enquired what it was...she was told it was bacon.

Bacon ?

Yes shredded bacon.

Hum rejected the meals while others gorged into the veritable feast un-wrapped from foil before which the stewardesses lifted the foil to peek under double checking the contents shouting "gotta meat one here....who wants it ?" Going from passenger to passenger enquiring "You wannit ? You wannit" ?

A bang is heard. "No further bids. Sold to the gentleman with the stetson and moustache".

ho-hum, so glad to see you have followed my lead in writing encyclopedic* travelogs! Four satisfyingly lengthy sections and only midway from Florida to the Caribbean - bravo! Keep up the stellar work (and I know, it is WORK). One can only hope you rented a car on this trip and will thoroughly describe your parking experiences.

* For you youngsters out there, an encyclopedia was a large set of !paper! books that contained little snippets about every facet of human knowledge, vaguely similar to Wikipedia or Idle Jottings. These overpriced sets were usually sold door-to-door to gullible consumers.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Verbose drivel as requested by Commander Courageous and appreciated by the wonderful Abenaki.

(Still on plane tween Atlanta- St.Thomas)

Oh Gawd what hell has Hum descended into ?

Oh and the entertainment was CARTOONS !

Cartoons !

And Americans say how much they like "Downton Abbey" !

Probably there is a cartoon version Hum does'nt know about.

Everyone enjoyed the cartoon, bar one.........yes Lord Snooty Pants himself.

Stewardesses barked at passengers "PLEASE MADAM NO CHILDREN ARE ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THE AISLE !"

The child screamed back at her in protest.

Hum was silently praying the child and parents would all be tasered !

Lethally !!!! Very lethally !!! Lethally lethally !!!

Yes there would be the smell of singed flesh for a little while but it would be worth it. Surely.

And so we arrive at St.Thomas and a lady from Alabama starts a conversation which Hum ignores whilst we are awaiting our bags with the driver who was collecting us, who also Hum could not understand. Blondie seems to gather the animated "patois" being "jibber-jabbed away" and looks agreeable towards them while Hum anxiously awaits the bags in a "Don't dare talk to me" seethingly hostile manner...eerily psychopathic he hopes....but to no avail, everybody wants to talk to Hum !

Why ?

Please, not one more mindless "jibber jabber" (Hum prays.....silently. Oh he ain't listening. Deaf ol fool).

The bags arrive, looking equally relieved to see us.

"Oh those other bags were ghastly Hum ! Take is out of this hell hole !"

We are off.

Bye, bye crazy Alabama lady who asks for our name and hotel, promising to call to give us details of what is going on on the island !

What !!!!

You gave our real name and hotel, Hum asks of Blondie in disbelief at the complete stupidity of this action.

Huffs begin.

OK a long queue out of the airport.

Arrive at block of ghastly concrete buildings having driven past the hotel Hum labelled "Pschittolla" (the "p" is silent) which one or two SD guests said they found "delightful in a Caribbean kinda way" !

Canadians, what do you expect ? Hum throws this line out there cause she probably does'nt read this drivel any more.

Arrive at hotel.

The flight crew recognise us and suggest drinks.

What ? Texan sparkling wine, sauvignon and merlot with ice !! Hum politely declines.

They seem genuinely saddened. It would have been great hanging out with those ladies....they laugh at anything Hum says ...... say it again Hum.

Oh its the accent and calling Blondie "dahhlling"

Everyone in line waiting in the lobby is calling one another "Darling" in a pretentious snobby English way.

It is an insane asylum and all Hum wants to do is shower and sleep.

We are now in a queue where some gormless native youth is getting confused about the simplest task.....bet he wears slip ons....laces would be a step too far.

Finally he manages to provide us with room keys after explaining the ghastly complimentary alcohol infused sugar water drinks which he refers to as "our signature cocktails" that are offered in the bar.....emphasising enthusiastically they are FREE.

We go straight to prison block 5, "C" wing with a sea view.

We struggle with our 6 pieces of baggage as no assistance is provided !

Yes most people take one bag and carry on each but there are extra bags for