Lifeboat Drill- Handicapped

Cruise Fanatic

Have booked MR cruise for Nov 9th. I am somewhat handicapped in that I have to use a cane/walker. Since you can't use the lifts during lifeboat drill, I do have trouble going up/down stairs. Does Princess have a procedure for handicapped persons that may have trouble getting to their lifeboat stations?

Have booked MR cruise for Nov 9th. I am somewhat handicapped in that I have to use a cane/walker. Since you can't use the lifts during lifeboat drill, I do have trouble going up/down stairs. Does Princess have a procedure for handicapped persons that may have trouble getting to their lifeboat stations?

Yes advise them that you will need assistance once onboard, they will make sure you make it to your appointed muster station/lounge.

I can't do stairs either. I just take the elevator to where the drill is about ten minutes before the time for the lifeboat drill while the elevators are still running. On Princess, the drills are held inside and you won't need to move around once you're in place. Getting an elevator after drill is another story. The lines can be quite long. You just have to be patient.

Go EARLY to muster drill to insure ease of elevator access and a seat for the drill. Carry (don't wear) your life vest.

Let passenger services know you will need assistance should an emergency arise. They are very aware of the issues and will assign someone to assist if there is an emergency. My son is in a wheelchair and this is what he does when cruising with Princess.

On our last Princess Cruise our cabin steward noticed the canes in our room. She asked if we needed assistance in case of an emergency. We explained what we would need, and she said she was required to ask this, and would see that Passenger Services was informed. She took notes as we were talking, so I have no doubt that she did what she said she would do. This was new for us, and I am glad Princess is making sure that those who need assistance will have it.

Once the signal has sounded for the drill, they will still let those with handicapped needs use the elevator to get to the drill. However, if as as suggested above you go before the signal has sounded, you may have an easier time finding a seat once you get there.

As the other posters have stated, get to passenger services . Go early to ensure a seat. And plan to bring a book...the elevator lines are horrendous after, as one poster pointed out!

Edited by hehny

The front area of most (all?) Muster Stations are reserved for those who need special assistance. When I cruised with my mom, we would go early and avoid the crowds and stay late to not have elevator problems.

I can't do stairs either. I just take the elevator to where the drill is about ten minutes before the time for the lifeboat drill while the elevators are still running. On Princess, the drills are held inside and you won't need to move around once you're in place. Getting an elevator after drill is another story. The lines can be quite long. You just have to be patient.

I would just follow this. You'll know from the Patter when the drill is coming up. You'll be able to use the elevator before the alarm goes off, but it'll be easier for you to get the elevator a little while before that time (when others will decide to use it to get to their lounge). By getting to the lounge (Wheelhouse, or wherever your muster station is) early, the others in your party will be assured of a seat too.

Extraordinarily patient if you are on the Royal. Husband in a wheelchair and we waited an hour to get back to our cabin. Passengers on that cruise constantly got in front of us as we tried to get on. Never had any problem on other Princess ships.

Extraordinarily patient if you are on the Royal. Husband in a wheelchair and we waited an hour to get back to our cabin. Passengers on that cruise constantly got in front of us as we tried to get on. Never had any problem on other Princess ships.

Of course it is no excuse for the inconsiderateness of the passengers, but were you trying to use the mid-ship elevators where there is no stairway for those who would have liked to use one?

We had this problem on the Crown with my mom and her Service dog. So many people would crowd in so that the dog would get stepped on, we would have to exit and wait for another one (many times). Often times, we would be waiting longer than anyone else but due to my mom's lack of speed, by the time we made it to the elevator, others who had just arrived would fill the elevator. Again, this would happen several times. Similar to a wheel chair.

My Dear Wife has problems with her knees, stairs cause her a lot of pain. She takes the elevator to the muster deck and I meet her using the stairs. Never a problem, just tell the crew member blocking the elevators that you have a problem and they will let you use the lift.