FOS bikers ralley

FYI there is a High Seas Bikers Rally on the FOS Nov. 2 -9, 2014. SOMETIMES large groups can disrupt dining, pools, and entertainment because they freqently like being together thus sometimes not giving regular cruisers the same amenities we pay for. Not ALL groups, just information you might consider when booking.

FYI there is a High Seas Bikers Rally on the FOS Nov. 2 -9, 2014. SOMETIMES large groups can disrupt dining, pools, and entertainment because they freqently like being together thus sometimes not giving regular cruisers the same amenities we pay for. Not ALL groups, just information you might consider when booking.

Sounds like a great Cruise. Captain Johnny would even make it better. Thanks for the FYI.

Edited by davekathy

They've been doing this for several years, scheduled for week after the Biketoberfest in late October. I had a friend on it last year, hadn't been told about it when they booked (large charters are never disclosed) Despite the stereotypes of bikers, they just felt the biggest issue for them was prevalence of obnoxious & obscene sayings on tshirts and tattoos and inappropriate clothing in the dining room, and yes there was disruption to other cruisers as there would be with any large group of affiliated individuals taking over areas of the ship.

Each cruiser considering booking should know what their tolerance level is and decide accordingly. Personally, I think it should be disclosed on the cruise line web site if there is a special event or charter. I usually check out the cruise critic thread for a sailing date before I book, that may tell you something about the folks on the cruise.

Just to start off I am not a biker. If I tried to ride a full size bike I would probably fall off and kill myself.

A couple of years ago I was on a 10 day Explorer cruise out of NJ where the first stop was Bermuda. There were about 200 bikers inboard and they had a rally ride in Bermuda. They sores their bikes in the hull of the ship and rolled off in formation after the ship docked. It was really fantastic to watch them. The thing was no one really knew they were onboard till we saw them leave the ship. Afterwards it was great talking to various members and listen to their tales of visiting various ports

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that bikers were any different from any other large groups sailing together. In fact my DH and I belonged to a Gold Wing club in the 80's - 90's . We had so much fun and met LOTS of great people we are still friends with today. (No tatoos or skullcaps tho, lol!)

I just thought future cruisers should be informed so they can make their own judgements. The cruiseline will never tell you when such large groups of any kind will be traveling together.

I have just read that such large groups tend to fill up the piano bars, comedy clubs, smaller venues so the average cruiser doesn't have the option to participate because of lack of room . Frequently the cruiseline itself will section some areas off just for this group only to use for special get togethers/partys, etc. causing some inconvenience for some passengers.

These large groups ARE NOT charters. Charter cruises "lease" the entire ship.

There are a few reviews for Freedom of the Seas about this annual event onboard. A quick search on the topic will show CruiseCritic member reviews of this event. You can also Google the event and get lots of info about it.

Just to clear up some confusion, this is a Hogs of the High Seas cruise. I have never been on one, but it is a larger group. They DO NOT bring their bikes on board. From the little that I know, there may be some times that some venues are reserved for this group for bike related activities.

For people mentioning seeing bikers with their motorcycles on board, that is a totally different cruise. No connection what so ever. I was part of that type of cruise last April. That cruise is limited to about 30 motorcycles. The only venue ever shut down was Maharajah's Lounge, twice, and it was for a short period of time.

I did do a review, if anyone wants to see what goes on :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839973

Here is a little something a wrote a while back. If you want to know what bikers are like, read and enjoy.

I Am A Biker - Jeff Smith Jan. 2012

I'm the guy that gave you a scare,

When I pulled to the side of the road

to help you change a flat tire.

I'm the guy you cut off in the driveway,

When I was parking at the benefit

for your' friend that had cancer.

I'm the guy that went to jail,for pulling

someone off your' buddy in the bar last night,

And you didn't want to get involved.

I'm the guy that you wont let wear my

my colors into your' business,

Because you don't understand what they mean.

I'm the guy that sat in the hospital

with a kid,to give her parents a break.

I'm the guy that brought Christmas gifts

to the house of an injured policeman,

So his kids would have presents to open

Christmas morning.

I'm the guy that stands on the capital steps,

that fights for the rights you dont

even know you have.

I'm the guy you wont console, because I

went to twenty funerals last year.

I'm the guy on the ambulance that saved your' life,

that you you wouldn't normally speak to.

I'm the guy down the road,

that you wont let your' kids play with mine,

Because you think I'm a criminal.

You see me everyday, in the stores, on the street,

at your' kids school, and in church.

We are firemen, police officers, mechanics, preachers,

teachers, politicians, and doctors.

We don't hide who we are because we are proud

of who we are and for the things we do for others.

The next time you see me, don't be afraid, or intimidated.

Come up to me and say hello, shake my hand, see

me for who I am and not for what you think I am.

Because, at the end of the day, I Am A Biker.

These large groups ARE NOT charters. Charter cruises "lease" the entire ship.

There are such things as partial charters that take up less than the entire ship (minimum of 20-50%, depending on the ship and cruise line). Those are different from just group bookings.

This is a wonderful group who pays for dialysis patients to go on cruises.

In fact, I am currently trying to get my roommate on one of their cruises. He has been on hemo dialysis for almost 6 years awaiting a transplant and I really want him to be able to go on a cruise. He cant afford the cruise and the treatment so I am really hoping they will consider him.

Here is a little something a wrote a while back. If you want to know what bikers are like, read and enjoy.

I Am A Biker - Jeff Smith Jan. 2012

(snipped)

First off, while thats a nice poem its not appro to what I have to say & I wished to save some space. ;) Nice poem though.

JYD.. my aunt & uncle are/were bikers, even belonged to a Hells Angel chapter back in the 70s or so, so I am not against motorcyclists.

What I am against is gangs, be they bike, or foot. And most people tend to think of bike gangs, like the HA's, Mongols, Vagos, Warlocks, Pagans when they hear "biker".

As many of the gangs say themselves.. its the 1%ers that cause issues & so give every other biker a bad rep. I call it the bad apple syndrome, one or two bad apples ruin the rest of the basket. :(

Would I go on a cruise if such a large group were reserved?

It depends.. if its 100 people on a 2000 ship, it wouldnt bother me. If it were 700-800 on a 2000 ship then I probably wouldnt go, mainly due to the fact that people who know one another & share a bond such as military & bikers do would mean they tend to gather together.. a lot. :D

And yes, I'm military myself.

I love hogs, my aunt & uncle owned king & queen of the road bikes, artwork done by a guy called Spider (Spyder?) in CT, who was a well known artist back in the 70's. They used to take my brother & I on rides on them, but I will never own a bike for personal reasons, was still fun times as a kid though.

And thank you for the info FourKittys (I have 6 plus 2 guests myself, hehe)

What I am against is gangs, be they bike, or foot. And most people tend to think of bike gangs, like the HA's, Mongols, Vagos, Warlocks, Pagans when they hear "biker".

As many of the gangs say themselves.. its the 1%ers that cause issues & so give every other biker a bad rep. I call it the bad apple syndrome, one or two bad apples ruin the rest of the basket. :(

I do take offense to the term " gang ". I belong to an outlaw motorcycle club, non 1%. I support a 1% club. I dont wear my ballcap to the side, my jeans are up around my waist and not my knees. I do not belong to a gang. We are mostly ex-military. We don't sling dope, in fact, in our club, if you get caught with dope, you get your' arse beat and your' membership stripped. I do almost 1000 hours of charity work a year. When is the last time you heard of Nuestra Familia or MS 13 members doing charity work? If you had family in an M/C, they probably take offense to it also.

Edited by JYD Hawkeye

Most people would be shocked if they knew who "bikers" are. Yes there is the minority scumbag bikers, just like in any group or category. Most of your bikers are your average everyday normal people that love to jump on their motorcycle and ride. A cruise with a bunch of biker I think would be a blast.

Most people would be shocked if they knew who "bikers" are. Yes there is the minority scumbag bikers, just like in any group or category. Most of your bikers are your average everyday normal people that love to jump on their motorcycle and ride. A cruise with a bunch of biker I think would be a blast.

I would cruise with them any day rather then a bunch of snobs who are more worried about what other people are wearing during dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I have been on six of the HSR "biker" cruises. We are both professional people with solid careers like most of the other "bikers" on this cruise. We have never had a problem with anyone on the cruise and have never heard a realistic complaint from a non-biker on the cruise...in fact several non-biker passengers have asked to join us and many have donated to the charity that that we support. I have read several comments on this site...some people are just haters and will hate no matter what...no one that I am aware in our group falls into category...I feel sorry for those of you that do. Life is too short.

Things you should know about our "biker" cruise.

The first year on the High Seas Rally cruise, Dean and Debbie floated the idea of raising money to pay for bikers or their immediate family or friends that were suffering from kidney failure to join us on the rally cruises. Those passengers would require life support kidney dialysis machines to keep them alive during the cruise. Dean’s family and relatives had suffered from an inherited kidney disease that took the life of his mother, and sister, and his brother recently passed away while on a kidney dialysis machine for the last 17 years of his life. Debbie did the research and found a company that would contract this medical service to our passengers and made this project her baby.

Since 2004 our rallies have been providing this service FREE of charge to our dialysis passengers. That’s up to 18 passengers per cruise. They receive a FREE balcony suite, FREE airfare, FREE on-ship dialysis treatments and $400 to spend during the cruise. Beginning with 2013, Debbie's Dialysis Fund finally had the funds to complete Debbie's dream to provide a completely FREE vacation of a lifetime for those dialysis patients. The fund now pays for the dialysis patients airfare, hotel stay at the port the night before the cruise, all dialysis treatments for the week while onboard and gives them $1,000 in spending money. In addition: Debbie's Dialysis fund also pays for 1 caretakers airfare, hotel stay and there portion of the balcony cabin to come for free. Making this a totally FREE vacation. Debbie's dream fulfilled. Tragically, Debbie died while onboard the ship during the 2012 High Seas Rally cruise of non-smoking lung cancer. Dean carries on.

To pay for this, all our passengers have to do is enter our rally games and get there chance of winning over $400,000 in cash and prizes while suporting a great cause. As of the 2013 Eastern Caribbean rally cruise we have raised over $1.8 million and have been able to provide a vacation of a lifetime to over 178 bikers or friends of bikers that are dialysis patients.