Torn Between to Excursions, feeling like a fool

sonvoltken6

My wife and I are doing our second Med cruise. We went to Florence last time and I loved it. This time I am wanting to see something different there however, since the only thing we might be interested in are the museums. So we have two possibilities that we are considering - Cinque Terre or San Gimignano & Volterra. I have heard great things about both options.

Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of each place?

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are doing our second Med cruise. We went to Florence last time and I loved it. This time I am wanting to see something different there however, since the only thing we might be interested in are the museums. So we have two possibilities that we are considering - Cinque Terre or San Gimignano & Volterra. I have heard great things about both options.

Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of each place?

Thanks in advance.

Brilliant thread title ! This shows a bit of what CT can offer

The weather was lousy and I can quite see why people rave about it, and on a lovely day it must be idyllic. But I did that from La Spezia, so no travel to or from time. If you have long port hours from Livorno it might still be worth it, but that's for folks wiser than I to comment. Good luck (and nice weather) with whatever you do.

Pre-cruise we visited Tuscany on our own and spent time in both San Gimi & Volterra. Volterra is steeped in history from Etruscan times to their defense against the German army in WWII. We took an evening walking tour with a guide recommended by Rick Steves and she was wonderful. San Gimignano has towers and vistas as well as great leather shopping- prices there were better than in Florence- and there is a wine shop with free samples!

We enjoyed both towns very much.

We have done both areas that you are thinking about and really enjoyed each. It's a tough choice. If I had to pick,I 'd do Cinque Terre. It was just so different (in a really good way!) than I could have imagined. You won't go wrong whatever decide!

We have done both tours with Celebrity. Both are great tours and its difficult for us to choose the best, but we probably would sway for Cinque terra. If the volt era tour includes lunch in a farmhouse/vineyard, you are in for a treat, the lunch was fantastic and lots and lots of nice wines to sample. Any other questions , we can help

Sorry, I just reread your question and saw that you were asking about ship sponsored shore excursions. Now ,I'm still going to keep my vote to Cinque Terre but I'm going to back it up with a more specific reasons.We have done three land based trips to Europe and will take our 4th Med cruise this May. Dh and I much prefer DIY excursions. Going into Tuscany is easy to do on your own or with a driver and you can pick the exact towns that you'd like to visit. After San Gimignano we stopped in a beautiful winery, had a wine tasting/lesson from the owner and lunch made by his mother! It was just for the four of us and pretty inexpensive! Delicious and fantastic!!Doing this type of excursion on your own is easy,cheaper,and so much more personalized. Cinque Terre, although possible, is a little harder to do on your own,especially since you really want to approach the towns by boat,which the cruise excursions usually do.

So… although both choices are going to give you a really wonderful day I would still pick the ship excursion to Cinque Terre since it's a little harder to plan on your own and it's an amazing experience ! Then I would start planning my next trip back and my DIY to exactly where I wanted to go in Tuscany!

If your visit is on a weekend, definitely do not go to the Cinque Terre, which is extremely popular with Italian families at that time.

We will be in Livorno in late May and have reserved a car to spend our day in Volterra, which sounds fascinating. We spent one day in San Gimagnano (by bus from Florence on a land trip) and thought it was very charming.

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, I just reread your question and saw that you were asking about ship sponsored shore excursions. Now ,I'm still going to keep my vote to Cinque Terre but I'm going to back it up with a more specific reasons.We have done three land based trips to Europe and will take our 4th Med cruise this May. Dh and I much prefer DIY excursions. Going into Tuscany is easy to do on your own or with a driver and you can pick the exact towns that you'd like to visit. After San Gimignano we stopped in a beautiful winery, had a wine tasting/lesson from the owner and lunch made by his mother! It was just for the four of us and pretty inexpensive! Delicious and fantastic!!Doing this type of excursion on your own is easy,cheaper,and so much more personalized. Cinque Terre, although possible, is a little harder to do on your own,especially since you really want to approach the towns by boat,which the cruise excursions usually do.

So… although both choices are going to give you a really wonderful day I would still pick the ship excursion to Cinque Terre since it's a little harder to plan on your own and it's an amazing experience ! Then I would start planning my next trip back and my DIY to exactly where I wanted to go in Tuscany!

This is the type of trip we hope to do. Could you tell us if you rented a car or were able to hire a driver for the day? Sounds like the perfect day.

This is the type of trip we hope to do. Could you tell us if you rented a car or were able to hire a driver for the day? Sounds like the perfect day.

We hired a driver for this.It was a really nice day. The winery was Tenuta Torciano which was just a few minutes outside of San Gimignano.They have a great website and Facebook page. The owner is a very friendly,funny and knowledgeable guy. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in planning!

We hired a driver for this.It was a really nice day. The winery was Tenuta Torciano which was just a few minutes outside of San Gimignano.They have a great website and Facebook page. The owner is a very friendly,funny and knowledgeable guy. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in planning!

Can you tell me which driver/company you used. We did this itinerary less than two years ago and used RIL and they were great. But don't want to do the tour excursion this time, want something different. So whatever information you can supply on your transportation will be great. I'm going to look at their facebook page right now.

Thanks for any information,

Mary

Can you tell me which driver/company you used. We did this itinerary less than two years ago and used RIL and they were great. But don't want to do the tour excursion this time, want something different. So whatever information you can supply on your transportation will be great. I'm going to look at their facebook page right now.

Thanks for any information,

Mary

Hi Mary- We used Limo in Rome! (Yes, I wrote that correctly!)

The owners name is Claudio and he is a very nice guy with very trustworthy people who work for him. We have used him a few times for excursions and often for simple transportation to/from the airport or hotels to/from the port.Very dependable,always on time,offers great suggestions for itineraries if asked and has led us to some of the best food we've ever eaten. He actually gave me his wife's recipe for their favorite pasta sauce that I now make all the time! Sometimes I've asked if he could do better price wise from another company. If he can,he does! He has always given us a discount when we are using him a few times in one trip,for example…airport to hotel,then hotel to port and port back to hotel. If you tell him what you are looking for he can help with ideas then you can research if it's what you want. We wanted medieval towns,ceramic shopping,and a real tuscan winery with lunch. So I can live vicariously through you, please let me know where you decide to visit!!Even the scenery as you drive is beautiful!

Hi Mary- We used Limo in Rome! (Yes, I wrote that correctly!)

The owners name is Claudio and he is a very nice guy with very trustworthy people who work for him. We have used him a few times for excursions and often for simple transportation to/from the airport or hotels to/from the port.Very dependable,always on time,offers great suggestions for itineraries if asked and has led us to some of the best food we've ever eaten. He actually gave me his wife's recipe for their favorite pasta sauce that I now make all the time! Sometimes I've asked if he could do better price wise from another company. If he can,he does! He has always given us a discount when we are using him a few times in one trip,for example…airport to hotel,then hotel to port and port back to hotel. If you tell him what you are looking for he can help with ideas then you can research if it's what you want. We wanted medieval towns,ceramic shopping,and a real tuscan winery with lunch. So I can live vicariously through you, please let me know where you decide to visit!!Even the scenery as you drive is beautiful!

kadey - you mentioned ceramics. Last year we were on a mission to find some great ceramic pieces (and we found so many of them - our favorite spot was in Volterra) where did the limo take you to purchase ceramics?

kadey - you mentioned ceramics. Last year we were on a mission to find some great ceramic pieces (and we found so many of them - our favorite spot was in Volterra) where did the limo take you to purchase ceramics?

San Gimignano had some very nice places for ceramics. We sent home some plates to hang in our kitchen and 30 ceramic door/drawer pulls for all our kitchen cabinets! Love having them! But … the best place we found was the town of Orvieto!!! This place is beautiful and full of ceramic stores. Each one had a huge selection and each was pretty different then the next. We shipped larger pieces home from here. Very unique pieces to be found in this town.

We have never been to Volterra,but I've added it to my list. We will be in Venice in a few weeks and we don't have the time to get back to the Tuscany area.I'd love a vacation of staying there for a bit!

There was one small studio in Volterra near the wall that had amazing ceramics - hand painted but very different from traditional designs. I would post pictures but we gave them all away as Christmas gifts. We are buying for ourselves next time!. Volterra is also known for their alabaster objects. So beautiful -

There was another place in Siena in the piazza where the Cathedral is located. The shop was a series of connecting underground caves - so much fun to explore.

We did a whirlwind tour of Orvieto. Spent MUCH too short a time there. No shopping at all, just a crazy drive through the town to the cathedral (GASP! hands down my favorite cathedral thus far in Italy ) on the bus you can pick up in the lower parking lot then back down to the car. I felt like I was doing "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride". I very much want to revisit that town again and spend some time there wandering those gorgeous streets.

There was one small studio in Volterra near the wall that had amazing ceramics - hand painted but very different from traditional designs. I would post pictures but we gave them all away as Christmas gifts. We are buying for ourselves next time!. Volterra is also known for their alabaster objects. So beautiful -

Pardon my interruption, but I am spending our Livorno port day in Volterra and absolutely love ceramics. Could you tell me the name and location of the shop you recommend?

Another place to visit for ceramics is Montelupo. It's on the train line between Pisa and Florence. Montelupo and Orvieto are, hands down, my favorites for ceramics. Both have plenty of shops to keep you salivating. Both towns are known for specific styles of ceramics, so worth visiting both.

I love Cinque Terre. But, I honestly can't recommend it for a short visit from Livorno. You spend too much time getting there and going back to port. It's one of those places that you really need to spend a few days there. You have to see the villages at night, spend some time in the restaurants, sit at a outside table and just relax and relish life. Can't do that on a hurried tour...

Pardon my interruption, but I am spending our Livorno port day in Volterra and absolutely love ceramics. Could you tell me the name and location of the shop you recommend?

Pam - I do not remember the name of the shop, but as you come up from the underground parking, it is one of the first shops on your right as you walk into town. Across the street is an alabaster shop. The look of the ceramics there was kind of like Primitivo pieces - very simple and vibrant.

Pam - I do not remember the name of the shop, but as you come up from the underground parking, it is one of the first shops on your right as you walk into town. Across the street is an alabaster shop. The look of the ceramics there was kind of like Primitivo pieces - very simple and vibrant.

Thanks so much; I hopefully will be shopping there in May.