Juneau car rental

aquajon

We just rented a car from Avis for our May 28th visit. They have a rental office in the Goldbelt Hotel on Egan Drive which is down town Juneau. It was $64 for a small car. We have never rented from them so I hope it works out.Our last visit we rented from the airport which was a hassle getting there and back.

Edited by Eileen G

We are in Juneau in August and we are using Avis. It is in the Goldbelt Hotel. Its a couple blocks for the cruise docks. I found that they had the best price for a downtown location. Others rentals you have to go to the airport to rent cars. We got a good at $40.25/day. That included taxes & surcharges.

Hope this helps

We are in Juneau in August and we are using Avis. It is in the Goldbelt Hotel. Its a couple blocks for the cruise docks. I found that they had the best price for a downtown location. Others rentals you have to go to the airport to rent cars. We got a good at $40.25/day. That included taxes & surcharges.

Hope this helps

That's a great rate. I tried them a few months ago for a July rental and it was over $80 :(

Where are you driving to from Juneau? We rented in Skagway to drive the Yukon Highway, but I'd like to hear where is a good place to drive to in Juneau. We usually take the $2 city bus to the glacier and walk around a but.

• 2 weeks later...

just booked a car for May 21 with Axis at the Goldbelt hotel in downtown Juneau using a coupon and got the daily rate for economy car of $48, or $55 with fees and taxes (it was $75 with no coupon). The Juneau Car Rental company was $63 for a midsize rental.

Planning to drive to Alaska Brewery to take their tour ( and hubby can try free samples of their ale) and then go to Mendenhall Glacier / Nugget Falls -- depending on the time, we will also go shopping and see what else we have time for. We are only in port from 2 pm - 10pm.

Edited by Cruisin' Lisa

just booked a car for May 21 with Axis at the Goldbelt hotel in downtown Juneau using a coupon and got the daily rate for economy car of $48' date=' or $55 with fees and taxes (it was $75 with no coupon). The Juneau Car Rental company was $63 for a midsize rental.[/quote']

We have booked with Avis for a 12-hour period for May 18 and the rate is around $51 total with taxes for a mid-size car. At the time I booked, Avis seemed to have the cheapest rates and its pickup location in the Hotel is a good one. I did not have any type of coupon, just selected the best available rate on offer.

just booked a car for May 21 with Axis at the Goldbelt hotel in downtown Juneau using a coupon and got the daily rate for economy car of $48' date=' or $55 with fees and taxes (it was $75 with no coupon). The Juneau Car Rental company was $63 for a midsize rental.

Planning to drive to Alaska Brewery to take their tour ( and hubby can try free samples of their ale) and then go to Mendenhall Glacier / Nugget Falls -- depending on the time, we will also go shopping and see what else we have time for. We are only in port from 2 pm - 10pm.[/quote']

You can do that with a rental car, but it's a whole lot cheaper to just take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier, and to take the shuttle bus from the Alaskan Brewery's Depot that is downtown, out to the brewery ($7.50 per person).

Charlotte

Renting a car in Juneau is cheap in comparison to just about any other location during the summer.

Last I heard the city bus drops you about 1.5 miles from the visitor center. Not a bad walk on a nice day if you’re mobile. Guess it depends on what your time is worth for saving about $14 by taking the city bus vs the shuttle.

A couple of other options when renting a car is to drive out to the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach.

http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/brochures/eaglebeachbrochure.pdf

Renting a car in Juneau is cheap in comparison to just about any other location during the summer.

Last I heard the city bus drops you about 1.5 miles from the visitor center. Not a bad walk on a nice day if you’re mobile. Guess it depends on what your time is worth for saving about $14 by taking the city bus vs the shuttle.

A couple of other options when renting a car is to drive out to the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach.

http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/brochures/eaglebeachbrochure.pdf

We find the cost of the rental car very worthwhile to have a full day of sightseeing with the convenience of coming and going as you please.

It saves you a lot of time and you get see a lot more with a car as there is no wasted time waiting around for a bus or backtracking.

You can leave your stuff in the car when you get out at the different locations so you don't need to carry everything around with you the entire time at the glacier the way you do if you ride the bus out there.

As the day warms up, it is nice being able to peel off layers and leave them in the car.

In addition to the places already mentioned, we also plan to stop at Chapel by the Lake at Auke Bay (before or after taking a whale watching tour), and at the salmon hatchery, and drive over to Douglas Island, if we have the time and inclination.

You can do that with a rental car, but it's a whole lot cheaper to just take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier, and to take the shuttle bus from the Alaskan Brewery's Depot that is downtown, out to the brewery ($7.50 per person).

Charlotte

You have left out significant details regarding infrequent bus service and over a mile walk to the Mendenhall Visitor Center.

It might be some of the above comments are from people who have not been there yet? A car rental does allow much more touring comparing to point to point transportation that would be needed to specific attractions.

But a significant point with the above taking a whale watch, is to drive yourself, and not come back downtown to take the whale watch vendor transportation, if you want the better use of time. You WILL have to know specifically WHAT marina they leave from, there are several. This is especially timesaving, if you are including Mendenhall Glacier and would save you an hour of time.

Other stops, if you have all day, may also include St. Theresa's Shrine, which is a good whale watch spot. Eagle Bay, also a nice stop, but I have driven past here a few times with no eagles. :) You can see eagles all over Auke Bay, worth keeping a look out.

There is plenty to see and do with a car rental.

.....But a significant point with the above taking a whale watch, is to drive yourself, and not come back downtown to take the whale watch vendor transportation, if you want the better use of time. You WILL have to know specifically WHAT marina they leave from, there are several. This is especially timesaving, if you are including Mendenhall Glacier and would save you an hour of time.

Exactly. That is why I mentioned how having a rental car lets you avoiding backtracking.

You can hit everything you want to see that is out in the same general direction on one trip.

I doubt that I would take a special trip just to see Chapel by the Lake, but as long as I am going to be out that way anyhow......

Also, psychologically we find it easier and better just to continue on from place to place once we are out and about for the day instead of returning after visiting the first place and then needing to start out all over again.

If you let the whale watch vendor know that you want to meet them at their boat, they will tell you what marina they use and how to find it.

Even if you already know which marina they use, it is a courtesy to let them know you will meet them there anyway, so they don't wait around for you at their downtown pickup location wondering whether or not you are going to show up.

• 1 year later...

We booked a cruise on HAL and will be in Juneau June 6, 2016. It looks as if renting a car and sight seeing on your own is a great way to go. I have noticed 2 car rental companies (Avis and Juneau) mentioned. Which is closer to the docks and are they easy to find walking?

Thanks in advance:)

We booked a cruise on HAL and will be in Juneau June 6, 2016. It looks as if renting a car and sight seeing on your own is a great way to go. I have noticed 2 car rental companies (Avis and Juneau) mentioned. Which is closer to the docks and are they easy to find walking?

Thanks in advance:)

The dock schedules should be soon, coming out. But I'll speculate you will be a lot closer using Avis at the Rivergold Hotel. I can't ever recall, HAL being at the AJ dock?

• 2 weeks later...
just booked a car for May 21 with Axis at the Goldbelt hotel in downtown Juneau using a coupon and got the daily rate for economy car of $48' date=' or $55 with fees and taxes (it was $75 with no coupon). The Juneau Car Rental company was $63 for a midsize rental.

Planning to drive to Alaska Brewery to take their tour ( and hubby can try free samples of their ale) and then go to Mendenhall Glacier / Nugget Falls -- depending on the time, we will also go shopping and see what else we have time for. We are only in port from 2 pm - 10pm.[/quote']

We rented from Avis last May and visited the same sites plus Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach.

It was great being able to stay as long as we wanted especially at Mendenhall. Plus its nice not having to rush to a bus stop; the cost was so worth it. The walk was simply; maybe 15 minutes from exited the ship for a healthy walker.

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for the affirmation.

Was the road to St. Theresa's and Eagle Beach well marked through Auke Bay, etc. How was the traffic driving out there.

Sorry, I feel like a school kid with all the questions.

Thanks again.:)

The dock schedules should be soon, coming out. But I'll speculate you will be a lot closer using Avis at the Rivergold Hotel. I can't ever recall, HAL being at the AJ dock?

The dock schedule is out for summer 2016. Look under the Thread titled AJ dock for the link.

The cruise dock schedule indicates our ship docks at CT which I think means the regular terminal space, not AJ dock. I have a car reserved from both Avis and Juneau Car Rental. Which office is the closest to CT? We dock at 1:00p and have an Orca whale watching tour at 2:00p so we need to get the car and drive out to Auke Bay within 45 minutes of docking. Thanks so much!

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for the affirmation.

Was the road to St. Theresa's and Eagle Beach well marked through Auke Bay, etc. How was the traffic driving out there.

Sorry, I feel like a school kid with all the questions.

Thanks again.:)

I easily found St Theresa's and Eagle beach, the roads were well marked and the roads were not busy. I did have some trouble finding the brewery if you plan on visiting it as well. Fortunately my smart phone worked.