Sickness on Carnival Magic

awp529

I am a very healthy person and the last day of my 3/2-3/9 cruise on the Magic I started feeling headachy with a dry, scratch throat. When I debarked on Sunday 3/9 I developed a severe case of bronchitis and coughing. A friend who was traveling with me also became very ill and had to seek medical attention. They had exactly the same symptoms that I had. I finally went to my Dr. I told her that I had just returned from a cruise and she mentioned that it may have been something from the air on the ship. I have cruised many times and never had any problem. Just wondering if anyone else has been coming back from a cruise on the Magic and being sick. I certainly am not putting any blame on Carnival but if others have been coming home sick there may be a problem they are not aware of that needs to be addressed.

My BIL got sick on our last cruise on the Elation this past Sept. I would advise taking plenty of Vitamin C before future cruises to boost the immune system, and using hand sanitizer and/or wash your hands frequently. Also, trip insurance! After this last cruise when BIL got sick (diarrhea and vomiting) and I sustained a knee injury while in port, we most definitely purchased travel insurance through Carnival for our next cruise. It provides $10,000 of medical coverage for sickness/injuries that occur on the cruise. Of course, your personal health insurance may or may not provide coverage for the boat infirmary. My BCBS (AR) does NOT. Hope that helps.

Sickness is bound to happen anytime you are among 2000-3000 people in close proximity to each other. It is important to remember that many of those people have saved for their dream vacation and board the ship even if they are sick. Right or wrong, it happens and as a fellow passenger there are things you can do to keep yourself from being infected. Make sure you wash your hands constantly especially after touching doors, handrails and elevators as well as all other common areas. If you are unable to wash your hands immediately use hand sanitizer and try not to touch your face until you can get somewhere to wash your hands. I'm not suggesting to become a germaphopic, I am just saying to take the same precautions you would in in public place. Public schools have far more outbreaks during peak illness seasons (late fall and early spring).

It's that happy time of year when stuff is just going around and it's not just cruise ships. My small department at work has had one case of the stomach stuff, 2 colds, and 2 lab confirmed influenza cases in just the last three weeks.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

4 of us just off the boat today- no one is ill. Can happen anywhere, anytime. As someone else posted, incidence of illness increases with close proximity.

I may be wrong in this, but was once taught that more people get colds in the winter not because of the weather but because of being inside more often for longer lengths of time-- closer to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I caught a cold on my Valor cruise. Thankfully, it was the last day. It was pouring rain most of the day in St. Maarten so I didn't miss too much. Waking up and going home the next day was less fun.

I think when some people go on vacation, they stop washing their hands (or maybe they don't to begin with).

I am a very healthy person and the last day of my 3/2-3/9 cruise on the Magic I started feeling headachy with a dry, scratch throat. When I debarked on Sunday 3/9 I developed a severe case of bronchitis and coughing. A friend who was traveling with me also became very ill and had to seek medical attention. They had exactly the same symptoms that I had. I finally went to my Dr. I told her that I had just returned from a cruise and she mentioned that it may have been something from the air on the ship. I have cruised many times and never had any problem. Just wondering if anyone else has been coming back from a cruise on the Magic and being sick. I certainly am not putting any blame on Carnival but if others have been coming home sick there may be a problem they are not aware of that needs to be addressed.

Was on the same cruise. No problems here. Sorry.

Off the Magic 02/23, got sick with bronchitis, sore throat, congestion, still fighting some of it. I think with all the over crowded elevators and this time of year, it can be expected to be exposed to more.

I do not remember the elevators over crowded. We took the glass elevators all the time from deck 2-12. This was forward, never took them midship or aft.

It's that happy time of year when stuff is just going around and it's not just cruise ships. My small department at work has had one case of the stomach stuff, 2 colds, and 2 lab confirmed influenza cases in just the last three weeks.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Yep! Everyone in my office with young kids has been going through a stomach bug and/or strep! Sometimes both, a week apart!

I am a diligent handwasher, and I will continue that practice while on vacation.

i was on Liberty for a B2B the last 2 weeks of January. I developed a cough (mostly at night) as I usually do on a cruise in the Caribbean. Fortunately, I have cough syrup with codeine which I take at night so my SO and I can both sleep. This happens almost every cruise, but I'm certainly not going to quit cruising!!

i was on Liberty for a B2B the last 2 weeks of January. I developed a cough (mostly at night) as I usually do on a cruise in the Caribbean. Fortunately, I have cough syrup with codeine which I take at night so my SO and I can both sleep. This happens almost every cruise, but I'm certainly not going to quit cruising!!

To clarify this, I developed the cough but did not feel sick. That was my only symtom.

Well, smoke can come through the vents, so other nasties could be coming too.

Absolutely, even had it happen at All Incl's Not sure what you meant by smoke , fire ? not allowed to smoke in room's LOL

We just got off the Fascination this past week...the past three Carnival cruises my other half got sick two days later from getting off two of those cruises, I got sick the day coming off the ship last year in May....it appears that one of us get sick on every Carnival cruise we take and of course pass it to the other. Oddly, we took RC and NCL cruises also and we never got sick. I wonder....