When Oceania goes to Cuba ...

Balloon Man

Lets see.

If Oceania only goes to ports in countries with full democracy they will have to cancel cruises to China, Viet Nam, Singapore, Russia, many African and possibly Central American countries as well as some questionable countries in Europe, Asia and South America.

They might even have to cancel stops at US ports.:eek:

Right on! If you don't want to go to a country because of their government or politics, your travels may be very limited. Push the politics aside and enjoy the destination! Living in south Florida, and with Cubans around me every day who have told me about their childhoods there, I'd love to visit. The influx of tourist money would have a big effect on revitalizing the country, like most Caribbean countries. My Cuban friends have told me the diving there is pristeen, which is another reason I'd love to visit. If you look at the gov'ts of many Caribbean countries, saying you wouldn't visit Cuba because of their politics & gov't is well, kinda hypocritical, no? No one likes the Castro regime but then, as others have said, no one likes the govt of China or Viet Nam or a dozen other places I could name. But, we travel to other countries to gain knowledge and understanding of places and people that are different from us. Let's hope that the arrangements that need to be made happen sooner than later in Cuba, for their benefit and ours.

I have been to Cuba twice .The first time it was in a hotel run by Canadians..hockey players in a deal they made with the gov.t .Most of the food came with us by plane and it was delicious ...absolutely the best .Rooms were huge ,excellent service lovely water ..unbelievable huge swimming pool ,lovely gardens ...really very very nice .....the only ich were the mosquitoes for which they had no chemicals to get rid of .It was cheap for us but a lovely place no Cuban could ever afford

Our second time was a Melia run by Cubans ,.The food was horrendous ....this time fresh veggies like lettuce were not available .the rooms needed serious upgrading .the beach was still lovely .this was after 911 and locals were very angry with tourists for staying away .and said so many times .They literally said we had abandoned them when they had nothing to do with 911 .

i felt very pressured to give tips for everything.Amongst workere there was lot of competition to get stuff from tourists .the whole scene was very uncomfortable .the nightly shows were all about how great Commnusim was such a great thing for Cuba ..one night ..ok but every single night became advanced nauseating propaganda .When I left I said never again ..and have not been since ,.new hotels have been built and I think things have improved ...but I certainly will not rush back. There is nothing to buy and I found many people to be mocking and disparaging in that second hotel .they perceived us as rich Canadians needing to be fleeced ..left me with a bad taste .i too was anxious to leave ..I hope things will be diffirent in future

+1. Maybe the worry should not be cruise ships going to Cuba but rather Cubans being FREE.

If you do insist in going to Cuba bring medications and clothing to leave for those poor people.

Agree! Both times we went with a suitcase full of things for the people (didn't think of medication at that time but packed many items that we felt would be useful for men, women and children.

Agree! Both times we went with a suitcase full of things for the people (didn't think of medication at that time but packed many items that we felt would be useful for men, women and children.

Don't think they need medication as they have free health care. This is a good read on the misconceptions of people in Cuba

Think before you gift: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:Caribbean:Think.Before.You.Gift.html

We went to Cuba 2 years ago. The current changes do not apply to tourists. You must be part of a cultural learning experience or go illegally through Canada or some other country. The cultural experience was wonderful and enlightening. It was also highly controlled, all excursions were mandatory. We were encouraged to talk to the local people but we always had the impression that they and we were being watched.

The people are great, friendly, creative, musical, inventive, making the best of a very difficult situation. They are very industrious and are capable of recycling, repairing, and making do with 50s era cars and cobbled together appliances. Unfortunately, they blame us for most of their difficulties. If we would trade with them, etc. everything would be fine. I do think it is a good idea to have a more open relationship. They have very strange ideas of who we are and what our life is like. For example, one person said he heard that we just throw away old toasters and the like when they break and we have to buy new ones. He said that when the embargo ends, we will be able to send all our broken toasters to Cuba and they will repair them and send them back.

We brought guitar strings and spices with us. Both are in very short supply. Yes they have free medical care but there is a shortage of many medicines. Also soap, hand lotion, and toothpaste are luxuries that many can't afford.

Go if you get the chance before US businesses get in there and there are McDonalds all over the place.

Mary

Mary, interesting post! We had a long discussion with a tennis pro at Club Med. We shared views without being critical of one another. He believes that we brought down our own World Trade Center. IMO, there are people in the U.S. also have misperceptions about Cuba. There is a lot that can be healed through communication between the people of the U.S. and Cuba.

While I am not one to recommend anything illegal, it is easier for U.S. citizens to fly into Cuba now that it was around 2004 when the government put a $50,000 fine into place for any U.S. citizen caught going to Cuba. Being in Cuba as a tourist - without a group -- just going where we want and talking to people was one of the best experiences of our lives. There are many flights to Cuba from Canada and Mexico and there is no hassle getting into the country. The first time we arrived in Havana we expected an old taxicab. Instead, we had a modern SUV. When we returned to the airport from the hotel after the trip, we were picked up in a late model Mercedes. Sometimes I wonder how pictures are taken of the city with only vintage cars -- as if newer cars did not exist. Anyway, we would do it again in a minute!

Don't think they need medication as they have free health care. This is a good read on the misconceptions of people in Cuba

We were in Cuba March 2013 and while yes , "they have free health care", the truth is they are very short of medication and medical supplies. As part of our "People to People" mission ( that was approved by the US gov't,) we were each asked to bring 15 pounds of meds, personal healthcare items, toiletries, etc. that were in very short supply. These were all given to several charitable organizations in Havana, Santiago and Guantanamo (the town not the base).

Carol