When Oceania goes to Cuba ...

Balloon Man

As to the comment made by Benita that FDR would not take Oceania there until it had democracy, I can't find that comment and would appreciate a guide as to where I might. Oceania visits lots of countries that are not democratic (and some that have to this day nuclear weapons pointed at the USA - and UK) and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't want to be first off the ship when it initially berths in Havana, and then sit on the top deck of the hoho bus (stops close to the cruise terminal) as it winds its way around this very special city.

I don't know where the comment is but I had a discussion with FDR about this subject and it is true that he will not go there until it has a democracy. His feelings come from a different perspective than those of us who were not born in Cuba.

IMO, once the "doors open" to this beautiful country, it will take some time before they can accommodate cruise ships. They simply do not have the infrastructure. They handle tourists fairly well now, however, with the U.S. being only 90 miles away, I can imagine hundreds of thousands of people wanting to go there the first change that they get. For people that really want to visit Cuba, there are a few agencies with tours there (very structured - humanitarian type tours). Tauck is one of those companies.

I don't know where the comment is but I had a discussion with FDR about this subject and it is true that he will not go there until it has a democracy. His feelings come from a different perspective than those of us who were not born in Cuba.

IMO, once the "doors open" to this beautiful country, it will take some time before they can accommodate cruise ships. They simply do not have the infrastructure. They handle tourists fairly well now, however, with the U.S. being only 90 miles away, I can imagine hundreds of thousands of people wanting to go there the first change that they get. For people that really want to visit Cuba, there are a few agencies with tours there (very structured - humanitarian type tours). Tauck is one of those companies.

Have you seen any news today?

Cruise ships already go there!

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/places-we-visit/country/cuba-cruises?continent=North-America-Caribbean

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11986-cuba-cruise-season-kicks-off-this-week.html

LOL, Fred Olsen and a Louis charter?

Really?

That's where Americans send their old worn out cruise ships, right before the razor blade factory gets them.

sinkingseadiamond1.jpg?w=640&h=306

If memory serves, the last time that we were in Santorini on an Oceania Cruise, Louis had one of their newer vintage ships, the Sea Diamond, hit a reef at the edge of the caldera. She sank.

Thank you, but no thank you, I'll wait for Oceania.

Really?

That's where Americans send their old worn out cruise ships, right before the razor blade factory gets them.

LOL. Before I booked our cruise on the Louis Cristal, I spoke with two different TA's who tried to discourage me from doing so (even though they knew next to nothing about Cuban Cruise) once I told them that our favourite cruiseline was Oceania.

I will definitely miss O's "Lobster on Demand" grilling station and the comfy beds, but the staff on the LC seem to be superb and there is an in house Cuban band.

Besides, we will have the best cabin on the ship. How bad can it be?

We are also excited at the prospect of spending a week in Havana and surroundings pre-cruise and another 4 days after.

No, it won't be an Oceania cruise, but from everything I have read, it will be a unique and exciting experience!

Really?

sinkingseadiamond1.jpg?w=640&h=306

If memory serves, the last time that we were in Santorini on an Oceania Cruise, Louis had one of their newer vintage ships, the Sea Diamond, hit a reef at the edge of the caldera. She sank.

I am not sure who is funnier...you two or Computerworks...Love it :))

From a poster that just debarked. It sounds lovely burm, have a wonderful time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41822450&postcount=590

That particular poster enjoyed the cruise so much that he is currently on board it's TA as it makes it's way back to Havana for the winter. He will also be occupying that same wonderful suite from the day when I vacate it in February.

Hmmm, his idea of charging an entrance fee to see the suite does have merit. :D

I know -- just thinking about the mega cruise ships (RCCL, Carnival, etc.) trying to unload thousands of passengers in Havana. It just "ain't" gonna happen any time soon:)

I know -- just thinking about the mega cruise ships (RCCL, Carnival, etc.) trying to unload thousands of passengers in Havana. It just "ain't" gonna happen any time soon:)

True, but Oceania's ships could easily be accommodated. The LC carries 1200 passengers, same as O's "big ships".

Cuban ports currently visited are Havana, Holguin, Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuegos/Trinidad, and Punta Frances (Isle of Youth). A very nice overview of the island.

A lot of infrastructural changes were made to prepare for the first LC stop last year, and I am sure that repeat cruisers will see many more this season. I am thrilled that we will be visiting before there are too many changes, and the Diamonds Internationals and Senor Frogs pop up.

A lot of infrastructural changes were made to prepare for the first LC stop last year, and I am sure that repeat cruisers will see many more this season. I am thrilled that we will be visiting before there are too many changes, and the Diamonds Internationals and Senor Frogs pop up.

how true ;)

StanandJim "LOL, Fred Olsen and a Louis charter?

Really?

That's where Americans send their old worn out cruise ships, right before the razor blade factory gets them."

:confused: I am not sure whether the above comment was a joke!!! but we have sailed on Fred Olsen's Balmoral twice in the last 4 years. Once was a Panama transit cruise from Costa Rica to Barbados. The other was from the Canary Islands down the coast of Africa and found them to be delightful cruises. We had a SS suite which was about the same as a PH on an Oceania R ship. The Balmoral carries 1200 passengers if my memory serves me correctly. My wife and I were seriously considering a Fred Olsen cruise this coming February ...Barbados to Barbados which included 2 nights in Havana.

By the way in the same time period we have taken 8 Oceania cruises so you can see which cruise line is our favorite. However we will certainly continue to consider Fred Olsen if the itinerary is attractive. As far as we are concerned even if their ships are closer to the razor blade factory we have not yet had to 'abandon ship' with Fred Olsen.....lol.

There seems to be a diplomatic thaw (brokered by Canadians) just announced today. We have been going to Cuba for years, inexpensive, all-inclusive hotels, same style as found in the Dom.Republic& Mexico. A cruise port may be closer than you think.

It was never my intention to make this a political thread. I simply wanted to explain that Cuba is a very special sort of "time warp" place to visit. And we found that being able to cruise to different locations was a benefit. You could, of course, travel overland. There are even cycle tours of the island.

As to the comment made by Benita that FDR would not take Oceania there until it had democracy, I can't find that comment and would appreciate a guide as to where I might. Oceania visits lots of countries that are not democratic (and some that have to this day nuclear weapons pointed at the USA - and UK) and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't want to be first off the ship when it initially berths in Havana, and then sit on the top deck of the hoho bus (stops close to the cruise terminal) as it winds its way around this very special city.

Here it is:Old July 12th, 2012, 03:00 AM

Prestige Cruise Holdings

Marketing Girl- I have not been back (left on August 22, 1961), and while I'm not political, I won't go until Cuba is FREE! I truly hope you enjoy your visit and wish I could go with you.

I've publicly said that my last remaining dream is to cruise into Havana Harbor OnBoard one of our ships,and possibly celebrate the inauguration of our next new ship there.

It's only been 53 years, all we need is patience!

FDR

I wouldn't assume that just because FDR refuses to return there himself until there is a democratic government that therefore he wouldn't send ships there if it is profitable for the line.

I guess we shall see.

Mura

Lets see.

If Oceania only goes to ports in countries with full democracy they will have to cancel cruises to China, Viet Nam, Singapore, Russia, many African and possibly Central American countries as well as some questionable countries in Europe, Asia and South America.

They might even have to cancel stops at US ports.:eek:

We did a People to People tour to Cuba for five days--fascinating place, especially to a history teacher. However, even staying at the famous Hotel Nacional had its problems--we lost electricity the first night we were there--happy not to be in an elevator when it happened. Street lights along the Malecon were few and far between, shopping opportunities were minimal, and not being able to use your cell, credit card or currency, had its drawbacks. While you might expect the food to be good and spicy--most turned out to be bland because spices are hard to obtain. I even met a woman who brought a suitcase full of spices with her to give to people. One only has to go into the airport in Havana to see what things people are bringing into Cuba because they are so lacking in these things--flat screen tvs, microwaves, any electrical appliance you can imagine and then huge bundles of clothing coming off of the luggage belts. It's an amazing sight to see and very telling. While the old town section is being rebuilt and painted, the majority of the city is crumbling and in need of paint. It's actually heartbreaking to see the buildings and imagine how beautiful it must have been in the 30s and 40s--incredibly beautiful architecture. We saw the food ration system in progress and it is sad. However, the Cuban people were friendly and wonderful and I loved being among them. I can't imagine cruise ships racing to go to Cuba. Its infrastructure cannot support the masses of people who will descend on it. Perhaps in 10 years, it may be ready and perhaps some other areas of Cuba (resort areas frequented by Europeans) can handle some cruises, but 'Havana isn't ready. I'm so happy I went but breathed a sign of relief when the plane took off for Miami. When I said goodbye to our guide and said that I hoped to see him again, his reply was, "Yes, but I want to see you in the US, not here."

PhillyGirl2 described it perfectly. Today I did some online research about cruise lines and major hotel chains waiting to cruise to Cuba and build hotels. There is no fast way of building a port, hotels, restaurants, etc. You really need to spend time there to understand. Actually, cruise ships would probably be able to go there since people can eat and sleep on the ship. And, a ship could tender in. Cuba would need lots of buses (lots and lots and lots) but also need places for fuel in order to move more people around the island.

The last I heard, Cuba is still using some old Russian planes to fly around the country (very unsafe). The more I think about it, the more there is to do. Someone should write a book on what it would take for Cuba to build an infrastructure that could accommodate the number of visitors (land trips and cruise ships) from the U.S. Someone could make a lot of $$$ working on this but I doubt if this would be allowed by the government. They own just about everything and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edited by Travelcat2

PhillyGirl2 described it perfectly. Today I did some online research about cruise lines and major hotel chains waiting to cruise to Cuba and build hotels. There is no fast way of building a port, hotels, restaurants, etc. You really need to spend time there to understand. Actually, cruise ships would probably be able to go there since people can eat and sleep on the ship. And, a ship could tender in. Cuba would need lots of buses (lots and lots and lots) but also need places for fuel in order to move more people around the island.

The last I heard, Cuba is still using some old Russian planes to fly around the country (very unsafe). The more I think about it, the more there is to do. Someone should write a book on what it would take for Cuba to build an infrastructure that could accommodate the number of visitors (land trips and cruise ships) from the U.S. Someone could make a lot of $$$ working on this but I doubt if this would be allowed by the government. They own just about everything and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

You never know - things can change relatively quickly with influx of foreign money from investments. Just think China - what it was like 15-20 years ago and what it's like today with super highways and bullet trains (even we don't have those :D). Similar things have happened in some other former communist countries of Eastern Europe.

Of course, this would require a different government. They could become the new China with cheap labor (as in "Made in Cuba" :D)

Hope springs eternal.

Edited by Paulchili

You never know - things can change relatively quickly with influx of foreign money from investments. Just think China - what it was like 15-20 years ago and what it's like today with super highways and bullet trains (even we don't have those :D). Similar things have happened in some other former communist countries of Eastern Europe.

Of course, this would require a different government. They could become the new China with cheap labor (as in "Made in Cuba" :D)

Hope springs eternal.

I like the way you think:)