GALAPAGOS - Xpedition

CRUISINGATORS

GALAPAGOS on the Xpedition: Would like some input on the Xpedition going to the Galapagos. We are considering a trip there and would like to get some information on the ship, the staff, food, excursions, transfers. I read that Feb and Mar are the two months that the water is at is warmest. The trip we are considering is in November and was wondering if anyone has been there that time of the year. Also, would like to hear from anyone who has done it another time of the year.

We went two years ago in September. The weather was great. The water hadn't cooled off much and the shorty wetsuits the ship provided made snorkeling comfortable. One of our guides said she thought the best months were June to October; the best animal sightings etc. When we were there the boobies and frigate birds were courting (some even had chicks) and the sea lions were having pups. It was the dry season so the foliage wasn't in top condition but we also had no bugs.

The Xpedition roll call has a huge and terrific "sticky" reflecting information from hundreds of passengers and answering any questions you might have.

If you go plan a couple of extra days in Ecuador. It's gorgeous.

Jay

I was on the 10-day cruisetour in October 2013. It's all-inclusive: ship excursions, transfers, Quito tours, food, alcohol. The staff, both on the ship and in Quito, were wonderful.

Food: Good to very good. I ate seafood, veggies, and desserts. Folks who had steak complained that it was not tender. Nobody starved!

Wildlife was varied and abundant. You'll be tripping over sea lions and iguanas! As the previous poster stated, blue-footed boobies and frigate birds were nesting. We also saw the little Galapagos penguins.

Weather was beautiful: air was dry, no humidity, no bugs. Hot in full sun on dark volcanic rock and sand. Only humidity was in the highlands at the tortoise reserve, where it mists constantly. I didn't snorkel, so I can't tell you what the water temps were. Folks who did snorkel seemed comfortable.

My understanding is that when the water is warmer, the air is much more humid, which is why I chose the drier October.

Two threads that helped me:

A detailed day-by-day account of life on the Xpedition from July 2013:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891071

The huge, ongoing Xpedition thread (this is the last page with newer info; read backwards!):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504555&page=24

GALAPAGOS on the Xpedition: Would like some input on the Xpedition going to the Galapagos. We are considering a trip there and would like to get some information on the ship, the staff, food, excursions, transfers. I read that Feb and Mar are the two months that the water is at is warmest. The trip we are considering is in November and was wondering if anyone has been there that time of the year. Also, would like to hear from anyone who has done it another time of the year.

The water in the galapagos is always cool due to current flows. The ship will loan you a wet suit for use during the cruise (unless you are a very unusual size). The galapagos are on the equator...weather is pretty constant. We were there in Oct...snorkled with penguins (accidentally hit one), watched albatross learning to fly, newborn seal pups six feet from me (less than a day old)....so much more.

There is a very long thread somewhere on CC...probably in the ports of call section.

Probably our favorite experience. The long thread is on the roll call section -- under Xpedition. We went in March 2012 - there was rain in the distance but nowhere near us. Water temp was warm enough that some didn't wear the wetsuits. Would really like to go back and do the other itinerary (but I think they've changed that now) but would like to see at a different time of year to see perhaps the babies. We did the Celebrity add-on to Machu Picchu -- first class all the way and we thought worth what we paid. Others say it's too expensive - and we don't do top-shelf spending - but did on this trip. If you're going that far you may as well extend it and go on to Peru!

• 2 months later...

I did this last summer with my mom (75), hubby and I (mid 50's) and a 28ish nephew. Very different type of vacation. Very quite. Nothing and I mean nothing after supper. BUTTTT fantastic wildlife and excursions during the day. I posted a LONG-DETAILED report. Under Message Boards it is Xpedition July 2013. Under Reviews-Celebrity Xpedition-Galapagos X July 19-29, 2013.

We chose July and got to see the Blue footed boobies and frigates mating. What a sight. Be sure to read everyones reviews you can find and write down what excursions have what. I did the short excursions on everything almost and saw the most fantastic wildlife. Some of pictures are WOW!

Went in March and the water was warm enough to swim w/o a wetsuit, but they are available if needed. This was hands down the best trip of my life, and I am proud to say there have been a lot to compare it to. Someone mentioned the ship being quiet after dinner, and this is pretty true because the days are full on. However, about 8 of us took full advantage of the drinks on offer and had some wonderful chats until well past midnight.

This was one of the best trips we ever took. Since I don't eat fish I was limited because they have to use local foods only and it was heavy on fish. The small boat and wonderful tour guides are fabulous. I plan to repeat this trip. Any month is a good month because each month has something special to offer.

Would love to do this trip but can't fly to Quito (altitude problems). Does anyone know if there are alternative ways to get there.

Many thanks.

Try to find a direct flight to Guayaquil and then to Baltra.

Even if the flight is to Guayaquil via Quito, the altitude "strikes" only after a few hours, so if u stay in the plane for one hour or so, you'll be OK.

I was there in May 2012, terrific weather, and hope to return to see other islands which were not in my itinerary, and this time I don't want to be in Quito, because the altitude "got me" :mad:

Try to find a direct flight to Guayaquil and then to Baltra.

Even if the flight is to Guayaquil via Quito, the altitude "strikes" only after a few hours, so if u stay in the plane for one hour or so, you'll be OK.

I was there in May 2012, terrific weather, and hope to return to see other islands which were not in my itinerary, and this time I don't want to be in Quito, because the altitude "got me" :mad:

Thanks - I will look into getting to Guayaquil from London.