Western Caribbean in January, will it be warm?

Petit poulain

I am FINALLY graduating from my masters program in May 2015 and wanted to take my boyfriend and I on a cruise to celebrate :D We decided that this coming January would be the best time for us to get away since my boyfriend will need to keep his schedule open from late January to April for his MD school interviews and I will need to keep my summer after graduating open for job interviews.

What is the weather generally like in January for Western Caribbean ports (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Cayman Islands)? My google search has turned up results that say its usually in the low 80s during the day and in the 60s at night- for those of you that have gone on Western Caribbean cruises in January- is that an accurate representation of what you have experienced? Does it get very cold on the ship at night- especially in open deck areas from the wind?

We love to lounge on the beach and snorkel so warm weather is important to us.

We are looking at the January 11th sailing on the Conquest- Do you all like that ship?

Thanks!

It can be cool or even cold in Miami in January, but once you get down into the Caribbean it will be warm. it will probably be cool on deck at night, though.

Edited by gtalum

I am FINALLY graduating from my masters program in May 2015 and wanted to take my boyfriend and I on a cruise to celebrate :D We decided that this coming January would be the best time for us to get away since my boyfriend will need to keep his schedule open from late January to April for his MD school interviews and I will need to keep my summer after graduating open for job interviews.

What is the weather generally like in January for Western Caribbean ports (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Cayman Islands)? My google search has turned up results that say its usually in the low 80s during the day and in the 60s at night- for those of you that have gone on Western Caribbean cruises in January- is that an accurate representation of what you have experienced? Does it get very cold on the ship at night- especially in open deck areas from the wind?

We love to lounge on the beach and snorkel so warm weather is important to us.

We are looking at the January 11th sailing on the Conquest- Do you all like that ship?

Thanks!

We always sail the last 2 weeks of January. We were on this same itinerary the last week of January and the temps you listed are pretty accurate. I'm not sure how cold it is on deck at night as I'm usually somewhere inside the ship at that time.

We've cruised around the 11th of January a couple of times and the weather should be the same.

We've never been on Conquest but have been on Liberty, Freedom, & Valor which are sister ships. Love all of them.

Thanks- We will be traveling from New York and will wear our jackets around at night if we have to. I imagine that it will still be better than the 15 degree nights back home :D

I doubt you'll need jackets. My "cool" is probably different from yours. :D ;)

We always sail the last 2 weeks of January. We were on this same itinerary the last week of January and the temps you listed are pretty accurate. I'm not sure how cold it is on deck at night as I'm usually somewhere inside the ship at that time.

We've cruised around the 11th of January a couple of times and the weather should be the same.

We've never been on Conquest but have been on Liberty, Freedom, & Valor which are sister ships. Love all of them.

Great- I've been on the liberty twice and loved it.

Did you spend any time in the ocean while you were at these ports? Was it too cold to swim?

It can be cool or even cold in Miami in January, but once you get down into the Caribbean it will be warm. it will probably be cool on deck at night, though.

Agree. Although we have only sailed out of Ft Lauderdale in Florida and only had cool weather there once, was normally 80+. Western Caribe was mid 80's during the day and high 60's - low 70's at night. Can get cool with the ship moving once the sun goes down. Have a great cruise.

We recently sailed on the Legend the last week in January. While Tampa was a bit chilly, by the following day, no jacket required. Sunny, breezy and warm in every port. (Rained in Roatan :() We snorkeled and swam. Water temp was most pleasant.

Congrats on your Masters! Have a great cruise. :D

We recently sailed on the Legend the last week in January. While Tampa was a bit chilly, by the following day, no jacket required. Sunny, breezy and warm in every port. (Rained in Roatan :() We snorkeled and swam. Water temp was most pleasant.

Congrats on your Masters! Have a great cruise. :D

Thank you so much!

My family cruised to Coz in January a couple of years ago and it was too cool for them to enjoy the water. However I think it was an unseasonable cold spell. It would have to be freezing to keep me out of the Caribbean.

Sorry to hear this- I hope it didn't put too much of a damper on your plans. I think I'm going to create a plan B list just in case we have a cold week.

We just sailed the dream this January. It was low 80's or high 70's most days at the islands you mentioned. I thought it was warm enough to swim.

Roatan it rained most of the day. It is their rainy season.

We just sailed the dream this January. It was low 80's or high 70's most days at the islands you mentioned. I thought it was warm enough to swim.

Roatan it rained most of the day. It is their rainy season.

Sorry to hear about Roatan- is it rain season just for that island or the entire western caribbean?

Did this route last January

Cozumel was nice and warm...we swam and snorkeled.

Belize was HOT...we did a mayan ruin tour. So fun but I was sweaty

Missed Costa Maya and Roatan due to winds

We ended up in nassau and I thought the water was really cold.

We were on the Legend the last week of Jan this year and the weather was beautiful. Departing Tampa was a bit chilly but still comfortable. It rained while we were in Roatan but it was still warm and we had fun. Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman the weather was gorgeous and the water was very comfortable.

DH and I were on the Conquest in January to that exact itinerary. Feel free to check out my photo review (link in my signature). The weather varied from port to port. Grand Cayman was warm and sunny, but not hot. Cozumel was overcast and windy with spotty rain. Belize was nice and sunny, but not hot. Roatan was overcast, but not cold. Lol. So I was never sweating or freezing, but I did find myself changing into jeans and a sweatshirt while onboard the ship or on the outer decks when it was overcast. It would have been nice for it to be a bit warmer and sunnier, but it never poured, which was good.

We have sailed to the W. Caribbean every January for the past 10 years alternating the Belize Roatan and Cozumel itinerary with the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel run leaving around the 17th or 18th of the month. Many of the January cruises were nice and warm and we were able to hit the beaches and swim. But, we have had a few years when cold fronts dipped way south and it was in the 50's and windy in Cozumel and it was too rough to tender in Grand Cayman and Belize so they skipped the ports.