Boarding the ship?

cris0716

To board the ship - boarding pass and a valid picture ID. Getting off the ship is another issue :) - birth certificate or passport.

Just to expand on that a little. When you're visiting a port, you'll need your Sign & Sail card, and a picture I.D. (such as a driver's license). You really won't need to take your birth certificate or passport when visiting a port. However, at the end of your cruise, when you debark, you'll need your birth certificate or passport when you go through Customs.

Just to expand on that a little. When you're visiting a port, you'll need your Sign & Sail card, and a picture I.D. (such as a driver's license). You really won't need to take your birth certificate or passport when visiting a port. However, at the end of your cruise, when you debark, you'll need your birth certificate or passport when you go through Customs.

Even though I've been on 7 cruises I know about what you need for the ports I just get nervous that we are going to forget something. I just wanted to make sure on Embarking. Thank you!

To board the ship - boarding pass and a valid picture ID. Getting off the ship is another issue :) - birth certificate or passport.

They will not let you on the ship without the same ID that you will need to get off at the end...

Who makes up this stuff???

Edited by matj2000

Those over 16 sometimes need a picture ID to get back into port.

We got our DDs State issued IDs thru the Dept of Motor Vehicles before they had their drivers licenses.

If your child is under the age of 16. I would get a state issue ID.

My son was 8 when he got his ID. In the state of GA once they can sign their own name they can get an ID. I find it funny the customs people never look at his BC they are just amazed someone that young has and ID.

Have a safe trip.

We got our DDs State issued IDs thru the Dept of Motor Vehicles before they had their drivers licenses.

Teens 16-18 can also use a current student photo ID as well if they don't have a drivers license. Since it looks like you are sailing in July, I would just get the government issued one if you need it. I just did this for my son and it only took a week or so.

Everyone in my family including my 14 y/o daughter brings a passport and passport card. The card can be used as photo id on a closed loop cruise and we have the passports in case something happens and we need to fly back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

while we are on the subject, and i posted before but get myself nervous.. my son and daughter - in law are traveling with us. they are recently married, and just prior to their marriage she had to get a passport to travel for school, so she is booked under her maiden name, to match her passport. since she still had the entire life of the passport we saw no need to get a new one, and my travel agent insists that this is fine.. actually it was her idea. we should be okay, no?

Everyone in my family including my 14 y/o daughter brings a passport and passport card. The card can be used as photo id on a closed loop cruise and we have the passports in case something happens and we need to fly back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is exactly why we got ours, just in case we had to fly out of a foreign country and back to the U.S.

Teens 16-18 can also use a current student photo ID as well if they don't have a drivers license. Since it looks like you are sailing in July, I would just get the government issued one if you need it. I just did this for my son and it only took a week or so.

Actually anybody can use a state ID.

while we are on the subject, and i posted before but get myself nervous.. my son and daughter - in law are traveling with us. they are recently married, and just prior to their marriage she had to get a passport to travel for school, so she is booked under her maiden name, to match her passport. since she still had the entire life of the passport we saw no need to get a new one, and my travel agent insists that this is fine.. actually it was her idea. we should be okay, no?

She will be fine as long as her travel doc (cruise, plane, etc) match her ID she will be fine.

These days no one cares that Ms Jane Doe is traveling with Mr. John Smith.

As long as she is booked under the name that matches her passport, she will have no problems. I did this on our last cruise.

• 2 years later...

SadieN...and this non-driver photo ID issued by the state was accepted? Just trying to figure out what I need to get for my daughter who will be just 16 but no drivers license yet.

This thread is over 2 years old so the original poster may not answer.

I can tell you though that if you get a state ID card issued through the DMV, that is accepted just as a driver's license. Of course, you also must present their birth certificate along with it. Not a copy of it, a certified copy on the water mark paper or with the raised seal (depending on your state).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

SadieN...and this non-driver photo ID issued by the state was accepted? Just trying to figure out what I need to get for my daughter who will be just 16 but no drivers license yet.

Yes, the CA ID is exactly the same card as a DL, without driving privileges. Seniors have this card after they can no longer drive. Bonus- because the DDs were already in the DMV system, there was less paperwork to bring when they finally got their DLs. California finally got something right.

Edited by SadieN