Tell me about Sitka

Disneynerd

We are planning our first cruise and our plans have changed that we are going to leave out of Seattle and not Vancouver. We are on the Holland Westerdam. It goes to Sitka and not Skagway. When I was planning excursions, they were based on Skagway. I don't see much talk about Sitka. Any advice about excursions would be appreciated. It will be me, my DH and our 12 year old dd.

Thanks!

Sitka is actually one of my favorite southeast Alaska communities. It was the second capital of Russian America so was where the actual transfer ceremony was held following the purchase of Russian America by the US. It is very different than Skagway, which was founded in response to the Klondike gold rush.

Sitka has a strong Tlingit heritage, so has a great collection of historic totem poles at the Sitka National Historical Park.

The Russian heritage is reflected in the beautiful St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral in downtown. Also Father Veniaminov's house is frequently open for tours when cruise ships are in port.

A twelve year old may find the Alaska Raptor Center of interest.

A kid (and adult) might enjoy Fortress of the Bear or the Raptor Center.

Most towns have a web site to help promote tourism and local vendors. And many will send you a free Visitor Guide. Just google any towns name followed by 'visitor information' or 'chamber of commerce' :

http://www.sitka.org/

Edited by mapleleaves

Totally agree w/Northern Aurora, Sitka is spectacular! I actually prefer it to Skagway - so serene when sailing into Sitka Sound which is studded with tiny islands, Mt. Edgecombe towering behind you, and green everywhere. We have gone on a marine mammal search with Capt. Davey (www.puffinsandwhales.com) and have enjoyed it immensely. We saw tons of puffins and our first gray whale w/Capt. Davey. And the homemade chocolate chip cookies his wife and daughters brought down to the boat before we left didn't suck either;)!

Walking along the water out to the Totem Park is a wonderful stroll, be sure to stop at the small aquarium where you can handle starfish and other sea creatures. The Raptor Center is always fun and interesting, seeing those giant birds of prey up close and personal is a sight to behold! The shops in town aren't at all touristy like they are at other Southeast ports. Be sure to have a reindeer sausage from the food cart near the traffic signal.

We have also done the Rhino 4X4 excursion in Sitka and it was a hoot! Your son would surely enjoy that! We've also gone sea kayaking which was wonderful - saw a gazillion jellyfish - some the size of quarters, others the size of dinner plates, loads of pastel colored starfish (baby blue, lavender, mint green - just stunning!), and eagles in the trees everywhere we looked.

I think you've got a gem of a port on your itinerary, please do take advantage of all Sitka has to offer. You won't be disappointed!

I liked Sitka, too. It was my first stop on my first cruise to Alaska late last May. Went on an excursion where we saw a mother humpback whale and her baby, a gray whale, sea otters and their pups, sea lions, puffins, ... It was a great introduction to Alaska wildlife.

You really don't need to book excursions to be able to enjoy Sitka. There is a city bus line operating under the hop on/hop off principle that for $10 or $15 a person, you can travel throughout the entire area all day. It runs by most of the highlights about every 20 to 30 minutes.

There is a nice little museum dedicated to collecting artifacts from all of the native tribes all over Alaska. In addition to the Sheldon Jackson Museum, there is the Raptor Center, the Totem Park, Fortress of the Bear, St. Michael's Russian Church and the Archangel Russian Dancers that are all very interesting.

What ever you do decide to see, I know that you will enjoy this beautiful little town.

Barbara

Sitka was our favorite port! The bay is just beautiful and very scenic. We just walked out to the Raptor Center, then through the National Historical Park. It's a great walk for a photographer.

The Westerdam is great too! We sailed Sept 2012. We didn't have kids with us, so can't comment there. The ship was great though, excellent staff and service.

We are planning our first cruise and our plans have changed that we are going to leave out of Seattle and not Vancouver. We are on the Holland Westerdam. It goes to Sitka and not Skagway. When I was planning excursions, they were based on Skagway. I don't see much talk about Sitka. Any advice about excursions would be appreciated. It will be me, my DH and our 12 year old dd.

Thanks!

How lucky you are to be going to Sitka!

Make sure to be out on deck early for the approach to the port, and also again when leaving port, as you cruise among lovely, picturesque little islands.

Sitka has probably the prettiest approach of all the Alaska ports.

It is a wonderful port, great for walking around.

Not many cruise ships go there so it is not overrun with tourists like Skagway and Juneau.

Also there is free internet access throughout the downtown area.

I second the recommendation to do the marine mammal search with Capt. Davey www.puffinsandwhales.com/contact.php

We were lucky to be surrounded by a pod of grey whales when we went out with him in his little boat.

The whales may or may not be there when you go, but he will take you up close to sea otters and puffins and seals and other sea wildlife and out to see the bird colonies at St. Lazaria Island.

We had done the ship's wildlife tour in a big boat on a previous trip, but it was so much better taking the private tour in the small boat with Capt. Davey.

Here is a link to

Sitka: The Unofficial Walking Tour

Unless you enjoy hiking uphill, I would recommend taking the bus or a taxi up to the Raptor Center.

Then afterwards, walk downhill to the National Historical Park, tour the totem poles there, sit down to rest while you watch the film, and then continue the walk back down through the town and along the waterfront.

Sometimes local dancers put on a performance at the Centennial Hall.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks!

Welcome to CC! We are sailing on the Westerdam June 21, when is your trip? One of the reasons we chose this itinerary was for the chance to go to Sitka. You will have a wonderful trip.

You really don't need to book excursions to be able to enjoy Sitka. There is a city bus line operating under the hop on/hop off principle that for $10 or $15 a person, you can travel throughout the entire area all day. It runs by most of the highlights about every 20 to 30 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is the one Okie meant... but I stumbled upon this bus schedule. http://publictransit.sitkatribe.org/

It's $2 per person per ride, or $5 for an all day pass.

I'm not sure if this is the one Okie meant... but I stumbled upon this bus schedule. http://publictransit.sitkatribe.org/

It's $2 per person per ride, or $5 for an all day pass.

They have changed the fares (for the better), but it is a great way of getting around Sitka. This is a great little town with so much to see. Really wonderful about how they have made a concentrated effort to preserve the Native culture as well as the Russian heritage.

We have been there three times and want to go back again.

Barbara

Welcome to CC! We are sailing on the Westerdam June 21, when is your trip? One of the reasons we chose this itinerary was for the chance to go to Sitka. You will have a wonderful trip.

We are leaving Aug. 9. We are very excited. We are big Disney fans and usually go there every year (we did our first Disney cruise last year) so Alaska is new territory for us (and planning has been challenging!)

Thanks for all the responses and information.

Sitka is our favorite Port. It is small, and not a lot of jewelry stores (like the other ports). Not as commercialized. I think because the harbor can't handle the big mega ships, a lot don't cruise to Sitka.

As you are tendering in, you will see a big building that looks like a hotel or a hospital. It's actually a residence for Alaskan Pioneers run by the State. Awesome! Other States should take heed.

http://www.sitka.org/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=24&menuID=27

Then right across the street from the pier is Baranhof Hill (where the first American Flag was raised once we purchased Alaska from the Russians). It's quite a climb.

http://pdxwolfy.org/Sitka/page21.html

Then you take the little hop on/hop off bus up to the Raptor Center

http://www.alaskaraptor.org/SITE/index.html

Then walk down through the Rain Forest seeing totems & Russian Memorials to the National Park

http://www.nps.gov/sitk/index.htm

St. Michaels Orthodox Cathedral is right downtown and can't be missed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Michael%27s_Cathedral_(Sitka,_Alaska)

We didn't go to the Fortress of the Bear (not sure it was there when we were thre, nobody every mentioned it).

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

You will have a full day with lots to see and do.

This is a great thread! After reading about Sitka, I definitely want to take DW there on another Alaska cruise.

We have been on two so far, but neither had Sitka as a port of call. Next time, we will definitely choose a cruise that includes it!

Happy sailing everyone!

I'm also going to Sikta - so really appreciate all your comments. I was hoping to avoid paying for an expensive excursion - it sounds like we can do a lot of things.

My friend is interested in the glass blower [that's Sitka isn't it?!!]- can we do that on our own or just through HAL?

I'm also going to Sikta - so really appreciate all your comments. I was hoping to avoid paying for an expensive excursion - it sounds like we can do a lot of things.

My friend is interested in the glass blower [that's Sitka isn't it?!!]- can we do that on our own or just through HAL?

You might be able to find the Wild Arts Studio on your own, but then again, they may only participate with HAL. If it's something you would be disappointed if you miss it, then probably best to book with the cruiseline. Good luck!

Edited by agabbymama

Hi

Oh you going to sitika you will lovr this town and we be sorry to leave this beautiful town.. Make sure you take your son tho Forrest of the bears.. I spent hours there. Also youy can walk down to the zTongoss Rain Forest where they hale totem poles along the hike. They a buss you can take the is around 2 or 3 dollars to the bears and raptor center. Ientrance fees are for the care of Animals. Its around 10-15.00 each for adults

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The big building that houses Alaskan Pioneers has a small gift shop in the lobby that sells handicrafts made by the residents. Money earned goes into improving the facility and for activities for the residents. Some of my most cherished souvenirs have come from that shop. Please stop by .

Karin

Sitka is a very small town and can be walked in several hours. Of special attraction is the church as well as the authentic Russian shops. Seeing the sun is rare in Sitka but the fog sitting on the water in the mornings makes for some eerie photographs. The waters around Sitka are known for their otter population (see link below) with a whale seen once in awhile.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=531

At the following link you can see a map of Sitka as well as the entrance to the International Airport (doorway with steps leading down to the water).

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=442

We will be there with HAL in July 2014.

Edited by Crew News