Yet another Haven tipping question ....

Cruising4

That is a good question and I have never seen it asked before. I would think that you only need to tip your own assigned butler and the concierge. However, if the night butler did something extraordinary, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a small thank you.

We have often used the night Butler for late night snacks and have tipped accordingly at the end of the week. Same for the Courtyard Butler since we eat lunch in the courtyard area quite often. We use the calculation of $5.00 per usage. Just what we do..certainly do what makes you comfortable.

We rarely use the butler after hours, but when we do (ordering a late night snack), we tip the night butler directly at that time. We also rarely use the courtyard/Haven valet, but do the same for them when we do.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We rarely use the butler after hours, but when we do (ordering a late night snack), we tip the night butler directly at that time. We also rarely use the courtyard/Haven valet, but do the same for them when we do.

Robin

Although I was not the original poster, I am benefiting from your reply and others because I will be in my first NCL suite next month on the Getaway. I had a suite one time on Carnival but no butler, no treats nothing extra.

I didn't even think about tipping the courtyard butler. I like the $5 per usage thing, but what if he's bringing you drinks by the pool for a few hours? What's the calculation on that? I'm asking bc I like the $5 per usage thing, lol.

I didn't even think about tipping the courtyard butler. I like the $5 per usage thing, but what if he's bringing you drinks by the pool for a few hours? What's the calculation on that? I'm asking bc I like the $5 per usage thing, lol.

It all depends, on the Gem there is only one CYB on the Breakaway there were numerous servers. We just calculate at the end of the week, and we tip accordingly. On the Jewel Class ships we average about $50 for a week to the CYB since we eat lunch out there and sometimes get a drink.Think of it more a a $$ per day amount if you use the service all day, we usually only have lunch served out there and maybe one drink. Maybe $10 per day for each day you do this. I know they love their tips at the end of the cruise.

If the CYB brings drinks and there is an auto gratuity of 15% ...who gets that gratuity? I am going to assume the CYB. So unless the service is extra ordinary why would we tip additional. I can understand if they bring a meal..$5 per useage makes perfect sense unless of course they also get a cut of the DSC? I too am in my first suite. I am paying a premium to be in a suite. I understand that the Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC. I was under the impression all others were included. Either through DSC or auto gratuities. I have no issue rewarding extra to those who provide excellent service and will do so. It is my choice. I just believe that I should not tip twice as a rule if they already are getting one!

If the CYB brings drinks and there is an auto gratuity of 15% ...who gets that gratuity? I am going to assume the CYB. So unless the service is extra ordinary why would we tip additional. I can understand if they bring a meal..$5 per useage makes perfect sense unless of course they also get a cut of the DSC? I too am in my first suite. I am paying a premium to be in a suite. I understand that the Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC. I was under the impression all others were included. Either through DSC or auto gratuities. I have no issue rewarding extra to those who provide excellent service and will do so. It is my choice. I just believe that I should not tip twice as a rule if they already are getting one!

The 15% goes to the bar staff not the courtyard butler. :cool:

I was not aware there were also Courtyard Butlers and Serves. So if I want to eat my breakfast or lunch in the Breakaway Haven where there are tables set up, I do not contact my butler but a courtyard butler? Is there an extension I would call? Thanks since this is the first mention of CYB that I have ever read.

I was not aware there were also Courtyard Butlers and Serves. So if I want to eat my breakfast or lunch in the Breakaway Haven where there are tables set up, I do not contact my butler but a courtyard butler? Is there an extension I would call? Thanks since this is the first mention of CYB that I have ever read.

The Breakaway Haven is always available to have a meal just walk out there and sit down.. and there is more than one person serving there is a wait staff. The Jewel Class ships have only one CYB. Keep in mind the BA has a Haven Restaurant in lieu of Cagney's

I would think the night butler get taken care of by the regular butler--the same as the concierge--there are 2-3 asst concierges. They would give a part of their tips accordingly

The pool butler, if he does something for you, I would think a small tip would be the right thing to do

I would think the night butler get taken care of by the regular butler--the same as the concierge--there are 2-3 asst concierges. They would give a part of their tips accordingly

The pool butler, if he does something for you, I would think a small tip would be the right thing to do

I don't believe there is a dedicated night butler to worry about tipping. The regular butlers cover the overnight on a rotating basis. It is rare anyone calls in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

They do not pool their tips, and no one in the Haven is in the DSC except the room steward. We took care of the assistant Concierge on the BA as well as the Concierge since they both did things for us. Never had the night butler deliver anything to us from 6:30am-10Pm, unless the Butler was ill.

almost all of my suites(over 10) has had a night butler who was in training or rotating. I never had my regular butler come to my suite at 2am. I also tip night butler as I see them as my butlers have told me they do NOT share tips with night butlers. I also know that booking a suite includes many extra tips and factor that into cruise. Upgrades are nice but never really cheap. Enjoy your cruise

Okay sorry if I'm taking a step backwards but I've only sailed once and it was in the Haven. We didn't know how the tipping worked so we tipped our butler, concierge and housekeeper at the end of the cruise. That day we found out that our fellow haven cruisers had tipped on day one and again at the end of the cruise. We are about to cruise the breakaway in a few weeks in the haven again. Looking for advice on when everyone else does the tips. We tipped our haven waiter on the gem each time we used him and again on the last day. Thanks in advance for any good "tips" haha.

Michele

I don't believe there is a dedicated night butler to worry about tipping. The regular butlers cover the overnight on a rotating basis. It is rare anyone calls in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

This is what I was told happens on the BA when I was on last week by our butler.

As far as the other ships - maybe that varies.

Ok, I am a little behind with this. We have never sailed with NCL and have just learned that our friend upgraded (surprised) us to the Haven. What gratuities should we budget for?

Butler and Concierge would be the ones. There are other threads asking that question and responses vary widely. Kids club staff would also be another group if that applies.