? on studios from a balcony snob

I am known to be claustrophobic and have been on 2 cruises so far, both have been balconies. I have my first NCL cruise booked for October, which is also a balcony. All the balconies that I have booked have been in my budget of @ $1800. I have a feeling I am going to enjoy the NCL experience, so much so that I am looking into booking the Escape. I have always wanted to do a New Years Eve sailing so I decided to look at the Escape for that. As you all know the price jumps for that sailing were the cheapest option is a studio room for $2000.

Do you think the window into the hallway would be enough for someone who has issues with small spaces? Also I all my previous cruises and my upcoming one have been with "hosted" Travel Agencies so this will be my first truly solo experience if I do book it. My other option is to do a Spring Break cruise on the Carnival Freedom which would have the Funship 2.0 upgrades by then with a "hosted" travel agencies 20's to 30's group, a balcony on that sailing is only $1400. No I don't think I can afford both!

So what should I do?

My demographic for next year:

35/36 (maybe still) single black male

I have travelled a fair bit solo, and never with a group. No one can probably answer your question better than you can. You note that you are already a bit claustrophobic, which in my mind ought to be a red flag.

I can only speak for myself - I know that I could not be in a cabin without a window or natural light. The studio's have therefore never been an option for me.

In terms of connecting with other solo/single travellers - the convenience of being in the solo area with it's lounge and easy access to other solo travellers may be really important to you.

I have read some threads that some solo travellers who were not staying in studio's were still able to access the solo events and gatherings. But I'm not sure how that would work exactly with the key card access to that solo lounge.

I don't know if you have found the solo section of this Cruise Critic Board - it may also be a place to ask these types of questions.

Good luck!

Do you think the window into the hallway would be enough for someone who has issues with small spaces?

You can kind of discount that 'window' - it doesn't feel like one at all. All you can see is the shape of people walking past in the hallway, it doesn't offer extra light etc.

The YouTube videos available of the Studios are worth watching because I found them to be very much true to form. Yes they are small but oddly enough I felt a lot less claustrophobic in them than I did in some of the inside or even ocean view cabins I had sailed in, thanks to the great design. Because there are white, reflective surfaces and several mirrors, they felt a lot lighter than than say the dark, more traditionally designed inside cabin I had on the Jade and hated.

Perhaps you could book a Studio for now (they sell out very quickly) and then on your Epic cruise see if someone will let you have a look round one. Most people who attend the daily solo meetings in the Studio lounge (anyone can go to these regardless of cabin grade) will be in a Studio so I'm sure you could find someone willing! Then if you feel it would be too small for you, you could try to upgrade to a different cabin.

But as another poster said, only you know how you feel in different situations so good luck with your decision.

You can kind of discount that 'window' - it doesn't feel like one at all. All you can see is the shape of people walking past in the hallway, it doesn't offer extra light etc.

The YouTube videos available of the Studios are worth watching because I found them to be very much true to form. Yes they are small but oddly enough I felt a lot less claustrophobic in them than I did in some of the inside or even ocean view cabins I had sailed in, thanks to the great design. Because there are white, reflective surfaces and several mirrors, they felt a lot lighter than than say the dark, more traditionally designed inside cabin I had on the Jade and hated.

Perhaps you could book a Studio for now (they sell out very quickly) and then on your Epic cruise see if someone will let you have a look round one. Most people who attend the daily solo meetings in the Studio lounge (anyone can go to these regardless of cabin grade) will be in a Studio so I'm sure you could find someone willing! Then if you feel it would be too small for you, you could try to upgrade to a different cabin.

But as another poster said, only you know how you feel in different situations so good luck with your decision.

Actually my NCL cruise is the Getaway in October. I'm the organizer of the cabin crawl on that one and have someone willing to show their studio. Only problem with upgrading on New Years Eve on the Escape is that the balconies go for $4K USD, so unless I find someone to share with. Maybe if you like your next Stateside trip you can come join me on the new ship! :p

The deposit is only $125 and I can include airfare so I'll probably call them today and see if the airfare part is also refundable as long as I cancel before the September 2015 date.

Although in listed square footage the Studio's aren't thought of as big they really aren't as confining as one would think. For a solo traveler there is plenty of room and they seem much bigger than you would think.

I've been in Studio's three times so far and I love them. Great experience without the dreaded "single occupant" fare penalty.

Edited by ColinIllinois

After finding out that airfare is refundable I went ahead booked a studio for NYE. I have until September 2015 to change my mind. The posts that indicated that the rooms have some lighting helped, my biggest concern (especially in small spaces) is the lighting and the feeling that I may not be able to get out. I was able to get a studio on deck 12 close to the stairwell so I'll be able to get out and to the studio lounge somewhat easily which I think will help me out. I'll see how I feel about the studio area when I get back from my October cruise.

I am also claustrophobic, but I loved the studio. It's very light, and I found it bigger than I expected. There is a mirror on the door between the w.c. and shower, so that gives you an illusion of space and also increases the light. The window is big, but you can't really see out of it. A nice soft glow emanates from it, though, if you open it.

Also the lounge for studio passengers is nice and roomy.

I love the studios - the design makes them not feel as small, and although the window is there, I feel it makes the room bigger somehow.. however, I only ever sleep and wash in my room, and was more in the lounge, and public areas people watching.. I never spend much time in my room on a cruise!!

I sailed in a studio on the Epic about a year ago and am sailing in a studio on the Pride of America in May. The room felt just the right size for one person... cozy, but then I don't have claustrophobia. One way you may be able to combat that is to turn on the TV (adjacent to the bed) to the cruise cam so that you can "see" outside. Of course, it's too dark at night to make any difference. If you "open" the window to the corridor, it lets in some light and creates a more open feeling. My room also had "mood lighting" that would shift colors, but I think the studios on the newer ships dropped the variable lighting.

I only used my room for sleeping and getting ready... the rest of the time while on board, you could probably find me in a comfy lounge reading (there is all kinds of cushy seating available if you don't need to sit right next to the pool -- I like the breezes of the Promenade Deck).

I also booked a spa pass for the week -- the newer spas even have a balcony with lounge chairs. Another option for hanging out on sea days or relaxing after an excursion.

Have fun!

Edited by OhJinkies

I sailed in a studio on the Epic about a year ago and am sailing in a studio on the Pride of America in May. The room felt just the right size for one person... cozy, but then I don't have claustrophobia. One way you may be able to combat that is to turn on the TV (adjacent to the bed) to the cruise cam so that you can "see" outside. Of course, it's too dark at night to make any difference. If you "open" the window to the corridor, it lets in some light and creates a more open feeling. My room also had "mood lighting" that would shift colors, but I think the studios on the newer ships dropped the variable lighting.

I only used my room for sleeping and getting ready... the rest of the time while on board, you could probably find me in a comfy lounge reading (there is all kinds of cushy seating available if you don't need to sit right next to the pool -- I like the breezes of the Promenade Deck).

I also booked a spa pass for the week -- the newer spas even have a balcony with lounge chairs. Another option for hanging out on sea days or relaxing after an excursion.

Have fun!

For the NYE cruise I'm already planning on getting a Spa pass and maybe even a Vibe pass if I can get one. You'll have to let me know how the studios are on POA, I'm thinking of doing a cruisetour over my b-day in 2016 and if I do a studio the entire 11 day trip would only cost $5K including flight. However I think I might be disappointed not having a balcony for a Hawaii cruise, a balcony stateroom for me would be 2K more on the POA.

For the NYE cruise I'm already planning on getting a Spa pass and maybe even a Vibe pass if I can get one. You'll have to let me know how the studios are on POA, I'm thinking of doing a cruisetour over my b-day in 2016 and if I do a studio the entire 11 day trip would only cost $5K including flight. However I think I might be disappointed not having a balcony for a Hawaii cruise, a balcony stateroom for me would be 2K more on the POA.

Yes, the balcony is QUITE expensive. But the ship mostly sails at night, so I'm not going to worry about it -- I'll just find a nice spot on deck for the Na'Pali coast sail-by.

I'm staying in Waikiki for 4 nights prior to my cruise and then in Ko'Olina for one night after my cruise. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of all of my expenditures, including flight and excursions, and I'm a little over $5K at this point. This doesn't include transfers and meals off the ship, but I think it's going to be worth it!

Edited by OhJinkies

Yes, the balcony is QUITE expensive. But the ship mostly sails at night, so I'm not going to worry about it -- I'll just find a nice spot on deck for the Na'Pali coast sail-by.

I'm staying in Waikiki for 4 nights prior to my cruise and then in Ko'Olina for one night after my cruise. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of all of my expenditures, including flight and excursions, and I'm a little over $5K at this point. This doesn't include transfers and meals off the ship, but I think it's going to be worth it!

Hope you write a review on the solo experience on the POA in a studio, could help me decide if I want to spend the extra 2K. From the deck plans there seems to only be 4 studio rooms on the ship...

Hope you write a review on the solo experience on the POA in a studio, could help me decide if I want to spend the extra 2K. From the deck plans there seems to only be 4 studio rooms on the ship...

Yes, there are only four studios on the POA and many are sold out. I saw a video of their "lounge" and it made me laugh; it's just the hallway that connects the four rooms: there are four chairs and a built-in cabinet housing a flat screen TV. Should be fine for the Hawaii itinerary but if they plan to retrofit other larger ships I think they're going to need to do a better job of it. I'm hoping that they add some to a ship on the Alaska itineraries as that's next on my list.

I'll be sure and write a full review of my cruise when I return!

We did the POA in Nov. last year. We had 2 BR aft suite with huge wrap balcony, which was awesome, but this itinerary is all about the islands, and sails mostly at night, so a balcony is not really needed. There are plenty of areas outdoors to sit and relax, so I don't think it is worth 2K more for a balcony. If we ever get to do the POA again, I will save the money and maybe get an inside room. We were so exhausted after our days in port to do anything other than shower and eat, and were in bed by 10:30 every evening!!

I am not particularly claustrophobic, but the studio felt like a coffin to me.

If you're traveling single on a budget, the inside cabins are a better option. The studio "amenities" aren't much, unless you're into white leather-clad limousine interior design. As far as interior boxes go, opt for the larger one (inside). Better still, reconsider and book that balcony!

I am also claustrophobic, but I loved the studio.

I'm a suite snob but tried a studio on the Epic last year. It was a girls cruise. To save money so we could shop in St Thomas three of us booked studios. We LOVED them. The studios are planned well..lots of storage and the lighting was wonderful. I've also read about couples booking adjoining studios....to me that's a great idea. Two members of our party shared a balcony...hated the balcony and was so glad I was in a studio by myself!

I typically stay in balconies but tried a studio on Epic a couple years ago. When you turn off all the lights in your room, the "window" does let in external light and was therefore window-like.

Natural light is important to me but I was able to pick the lighting scheme to "daylight" in the daytime and a dimmer light for calming me down in the evenings. I liked being near the Studio lounge, which has one of the last make-your-own coffee drinks machine.

The room is a foot or two wider than the double bed. I liked the separation in the bathroom, though you can't leave one of the closets open and use the sink at the same time.

I can't tell you if you will find it too enclosing or not. Hopefully you won't!

I typically stay in balconies but tried a studio on Epic a couple years ago. When you turn off all the lights in your room, the "window" does let in external light and was therefore window-like.

Natural light is important to me but I was able to pick the lighting scheme to "daylight" in the daytime and a dimmer light for calming me down in the evenings. I liked being near the Studio lounge, which has one of the last make-your-own coffee drinks machine.

The room is a foot or two wider than the double bed. I liked the separation in the bathroom, though you can't leave one of the closets open and use the sink at the same time.

I can't tell you if you will find it too enclosing or not. Hopefully you won't!

From what people have posted I think I should be ok. The only thing worse for me than an enclosed space is a enclosed space which is totally dark. If I feel enclosed my anxirty levels go way up, and if there is no light or a way for me to tell for me where I am at if I wake up sometimes I have panic attacks. That's why I have and never will do a inside. On my past cruises I usually only spend 3-4 hours in my room a day until the end of the cruise where I am so tired from partying that I just enjoy being in my room. I think that's the only thing I will miss about being in a studio. December 2015 is still a long ways away though so maybe I'll come into more money somehow by then, but even then $4K is still a lot for a balcony!

I am not particularly claustrophobic, but the studio felt like a coffin to me.

If you're traveling single on a budget, the inside cabins are a better option. The studio "amenities" aren't much, unless you're into white leather-clad limousine interior design. As far as interior boxes go, opt for the larger one (inside). Better still, reconsider and book that balcony!

Not sure if you understand claustrophobia but its a fear of enclosed spaces.Mine gets especially bad when there is no way to see outside. A inside cabin would be worse for me with no window period and having to have a key card to keep the lights on. As far as looking at the balcony in my OP I mentioned that I am sailing over New Years Eve on the Escape. I am also traveling solo. It's not cheap, the fares are: $2K for a studio, $3K for an inside and $4K for balconies. If I book any other week besides that one those fares are half, so that would be my only option, but I always thought it would be more fun to do New Years on a ship so I'm biting the bullet!