An Open Letter to CCL on "Kids Sail Free"

T2C

Um, no.

People can't be bothered to read the fine print but can spend their time coming here to rant and rave.

Every retail outlet has "sales" now and then, if not all the time! If people can't comprehend that they're just marketing ploys to get your interest and drag you in, then that's the individual's problem, not the company that is trying to sell you things.

Every time there's a "sale" on Carnival, people come here to start threads to whine about "that isn't a sale!!!!!" Like they're SO shocked to find out that they aren't able to book a cruise at a significant discount from what it was advertised the previous week.

Prices go up. Prices come down. It's simple economics and marketing. There isn't a single thing "dishonest" about it.

Are you a Travel Agent? Employee of Carnival? I mean no disrespect. I have read some of your other posts and just wondered.

Sounds like JC Penney. Jack up the price, then say you're having a great sale but the prices are still higher than what it should be.

AND apparently discontinued the best automatic coffee maker ever made. The COOKS coffee maker with the permanent filter in it. I don't own stock in the company. I now own a Mister Coffee, which works fine...but that Cook's made the best coffee in the World. Consumer's Report rated it one of the two top bargains on Coffee makers. Now....I cannot find it.

I also really dislike their ADDs. it like a teen age style show. Really? Penny's? this past Christmas, I did not drop a single penny at Penny's. I am so disgusted with them.

They tried to become Old Navy. And they became Old Nothing IMHO

Edited by AmberTeka

I just so happened to have priced a cruise with a total of 5 last week and now with the "kids sail free" price the same cruise is almost 600 dollars cheaper. Not free but a big discount IMO.

Me too. I came out ahead with a savings of $248 and I took advantage of it with no changes to my booking except a lower rate. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Um, no.

People can't be bothered to read the fine print but can spend their time coming here to rant and rave.

Every retail outlet has "sales" now and then, if not all the time! If people can't comprehend that they're just marketing ploys to get your interest and drag you in, then that's the individual's problem, not the company that is trying to sell you things.

Every time there's a "sale" on Carnival, people come here to start threads to whine about "that isn't a sale!!!!!" Like they're SO shocked to find out that they aren't able to book a cruise at a significant discount from what it was advertised the previous week.

Prices go up. Prices come down. It's simple economics and marketing. There isn't a single thing "dishonest" about it.

Ummmm yeah, it's dishonest

As someone else pointed out, the price you see is the average price per person. AVERAGE being the key word. It is NOT the price for the first two passengers. That is not deceptive, it says it right there in plain English. If you don't understand the basic mathematics of averages, I'm sure there are plenty of websites you can go to in order to brush up.

This practice is not deceptive or illegal. It is not bait and switch. It is just run of the mill marketing. They tell you the AVERAGE price per person in the cabin. You have to pull from that information what your rate will be.

It's not dishonest. It is not Carnival's fault that YOU do not read the disclaimers and read what it applies to. That is why the disclaimers are there and why when booked you have agreed to all disclaimers and conditions that apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

HMMMMM..... I just for shiz and grins did a mock booking for 4 people on the

3 day bahamas using the 'kids sail free' and came up with 1018. (May 23rd sailing)

The same cruise for two people using the 'dreaming of a vacation' sale is 955.

Math looks right to me.

It's not dishonest. It is not Carnival's fault that YOU do not read the disclaimers and read what it applies to. That is why the disclaimers are there and why when booked you have agreed to all disclaimers and conditions that apply.

Obviously if you look at the definition of dishonest it's not technically dishonest, but deceiving, absolutely. I don't care if your a Carnival apologist or not, every single one of us have been in a situation where we have been deceived by a company, and it never leaves a good taste in your mouth.

The Sale should say.....Kids sail Free.....if you pay the rack rates.....which are never really used.....unless we are having a sale.....then we will use those as Pawns in our game.

And I'm sure that many of the people, who are defending Carnival here, in their everyday lives get upset at the slightest bit of feeling deceived. But since this is their precious baby "Carnival" they get defensive....It's like politics.....if you never disagree with your team (in this case Carnival) then your opinion is thrown out, because you will never disagree with them.

It's not hard...this is an easy one.....just say "Although I love Carnival This is kind of deceiving" and move on.....Carnival is not your child....they don't need defended....What they need is their stock prices to go up!

Are you a Travel Agent? Employee of Carnival? I mean no disrespect. I have read some of your other posts and just wondered.

Nope. I'm a CPA. And I'm a little tired and grouchy these days. In fact, I must get back to work if I'm going to get my 65-70 hours in this week! :(

I just get tired of people who seem to have absolutely NO idea of how pricing works. It isn't rocket science.

Obviously if you look at the definition of dishonest it's not technically dishonest, but deceiving, absolutely. I don't care if your a Carnival apologist or not, every single one of us have been in a situation where we have been deceived by a company, and it never leaves a good taste in your mouth.

The Sale should say.....Kids sail Free.....if you pay the rack rates.....which are never really used.....unless we are having a sale.....then we will use those as Pawns in our game.

And I'm sure that many of the people, who are defending Carnival here, in their everyday lives get upset at the slightest bit of feeling deceived. But since this is their precious baby "Carnival" they get defensive....It's like politics.....if you never disagree with your team (in this case Carnival) then your opinion is thrown out, because you will never disagree with them.

It's not hard...this is an easy one.....just say "Although I love Carnival This is kind of deceiving" and move on.....Carnival is not your child....they don't need defended....What they need is their stock prices to go up!

I agree with you. I think part of the complication is that Carnival has so many different "rates" or "sales". After dealing with NCL's kids sale free promotions, it is so much easier to do a mock booking and see that the first two passengers are $500 and the 3rd and 4th are indeed "free". If you look at the pricing of different cruises enough, you get a feel for what is a good price and what is not. This kids sale free "sale" may give people a discount, but it is not a good deal. Those of us who are complaining about it on here check prices enough to know the difference.

For example, we (family of 4) went on a Carnival cruise last summer for under $1500 out of Jacksonville with no "kids sale free" offer. The same cruise for this sale is $2000!! If the kids were really "free" it should technically be cheaper than our last cruise or at least in the general ballpark. And yes I know the prices are driven by demand, etc.

I agree with you. I think part of the complication is that Carnival has so many different "rates" or "sales". After dealing with NCL's kids sale free promotions, it is so much easier to do a mock booking and see that the first two passengers are $500 and the 3rd and 4th are indeed "free". If you look at the pricing of different cruises enough, you get a feel for what is a good price and what is not. This kids sale free "sale" may give people a discount, but it is not a good deal. Those of us who are complaining about it on here check prices enough to know the difference.

For example, we (family of 4) went on a Carnival cruise last summer for under $1500 out of Jacksonville with no "kids sale free" offer. The same cruise for this sale is $2000!! If the kids were really "free" it should technically be cheaper than our last cruise or at least in the general ballpark. And yes I know the prices are driven by demand, etc.

The prices for this Summer are higher from everything I've seen. And I check prices daily. Sometimes I do it just for sport since my cruise has been booked since last year. I would think a better comparison is pricing that same cruise from last year to this year. In any case, it has worked out for some folks. Just like with any other sale. And the value of it is subjective. I myself would have been happy with any reduction, because I simply like to save money. I don't care what kind of name is attached to the sale. Nothing is free, and when I heard about this sale I figured Carnival would either raise their prices or use the highest rate to offer the additional 3rd, 4th, and 5th passenger free. To me that's not deceptive. The terms are clear. So far I'm content knowing I got the best rate since none of the sales offered this year have reduced my price. So much for early saver, which I'll probably never use again! ;)

Carnival does have too many pricing offerings. I said that before. And it can cause a lot of confusion. But the bottom line, just pick the best rate and enjoy your trip.

Well said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not about disclaimers. It's about the price they list and the fact that it says kids are free when in fact they're not

You know what would be easier? If the cruise lines would just simply list a rate per person with all of the taxes, port charges, etc and make that the price of the cruise. No deception, no games, no other rates. If someone wants to change the name on the sailing just take 30 seconds and do it for them up to about a week before sailing.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday... Opened my mail and got a 20% off all items coupon from a certain retailer... In the bottom, it says "coupon not valid on sale items"... So when I went to the store and picked out a pair of shoes normally $80 and currently on sale for $50, they wouldn't take an additional 20% off... Those dishonest jerks. Running multiple sales at once and letting me pick which one was better but not combine them. Completely bait and switch :(

Funny thing happened to me yesterday... Opened my mail and got a 20% off all items coupon from a certain retailer... In the bottom, it says "coupon not valid on sale items"... So when I went to the store and picked out a pair of shoes normally $80 and currently on sale for $50, they wouldn't take an additional 20% off... Those dishonest jerks. Running multiple sales at once and letting me pick which one was better but not combine them. Completely bait and switch :(

For the same pair of shoes, did the price go back to $80 when you showed them the coupon? That's the difference.

Do yourself a favor....tonight when you are laying in bed trying to fall asleep......come up with a better analogy, because that one doesn't really work....because nowhere have I ever seen these so called regular prices charged.

If you went to the store advertising buy one get one free.....and on the rack they were selling the shirts for $50.....but when you go to buy them they say.....oh yea we are going to charge you $95 for this shirt, because that's the suggest price from the distributer that we never actually charge..you would be very upset.

Plain and Simple

Step 1: Price a cruise for 2 people

Step 2: Price a cruise for 4 people

If Step 2 is more than step one (with exception of taxes of course) it is deceiving.

And if you disagree behind...."Look at the small print/exclusions" then you are an apologist. Because when it's advertised KIDS SALE FREE!......they should be.

Edited by Clarksfan1

This forum is for us to learn all that we possibly can about cruises. I am guilty of posting knee jerk comments like most of us are. There are things that will infuriate some but be of no consequence to others that is the nature of us all.The OP is mad at Carnival she feels like they are being dishonest with their advertising. Are they? I think it is very close to being deceptive. If I take my family every Thursday to eat buffet and I get a flyer saying "Kids Free on Tuesday" I am going to expect them to be free when I go on Tuesday and not have them change the price of the buffet on Tuesday so I still pay the same price that I was paying on Thursday. I totally get the read the fine print but this is still creating negative feelings.

The biggest problem with this is that cruise prices are not static unlike buffet prices. They change based on demand, which cabins are selling and probably a host of other reasons. Hotel room rates, airfare and other such costs do change from day to day. If you don't like the sale a company is running then don't deal with that company. I will investigate my prices, get the best price that I can and enjoy my cruise without having to hear people complain.

Dear CCL Beards,

You really need people who can and do use common sense when it comes to the promotions/sales CCL puts out.

The "Kids Sail Free" thing really makes me crazy. It's stated that kids, as a 3rd and 4th passenger sail free but that not even how CCL has it set up.

The price for my cruise, when I just checked it, says the price is $770 per person. Now, that, comes to $1540 for the 1st 2 people and if the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are kids and they "Sail Free" then the price should still be $1540.

CCL however is not letting the "Kids Sail Free", they add the $770 per person for them also and the price is $3,078.00. That's not letting the "Kids Sail Free"! That's obviously charging them.

Please, see how stupid doing this is. If you are going to run a "Kids Sail Free" promotion then live up to it and let them "Sail Free". Heck, this not only looks like an out and out bold face lie, it is! Heck, just charge the 1st 2 passengers $1540 each and then actually let the 3rd and 4th passengers (Kids) "Sail Free". At least that would be being honest.

John, you got to get in the ears of the beards because this kind of bullock drives people crazy and does not help the CCL brand shine.

This is the same scam I mean sale that Royal Caribbean has been running before Carnival. And RCL has the nerve to run TV commercials. We got the RCL so called kids free sale in the mail a few weeks ago. And I tried to complete a booking and their free sale does hide the third passenger in the price by raising the first and second passenger price. Thanks Carnival for running the same scam as your RCL brother.

Dear CCL Beards,

You really need people who can and do use common sense when it comes to the promotions/sales CCL puts out.

The "Kids Sail Free" thing really makes me crazy. It's stated that kids, as a 3rd and 4th passenger sail free but that not even how CCL has it set up.

The price for my cruise, when I just checked it, says the price is $770 per person. Now, that, comes to $1540 for the 1st 2 people and if the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are kids and they "Sail Free" then the price should still be $1540.

CCL however is not letting the "Kids Sail Free", they add the $770 per person for them also and the price is $3,078.00. That's not letting the "Kids Sail Free"! That's obviously charging them.

Please, see how stupid doing this is. If you are going to run a "Kids Sail Free" promotion then live up to it and let them "Sail Free". Heck, this not only looks like an out and out bold face lie, it is! Heck, just charge the 1st 2 passengers $1540 each and then actually let the 3rd and 4th passengers (Kids) "Sail Free". At least that would be being honest.

John, you got to get in the ears of the beards because this kind of bullock drives people crazy and does not help the CCL brand shine.

Did you enter the rate code PKF that the offer said you had to enter?:confused:

I don't get it. I priced a 2 person cruise at $2858 FunSelect Rate before taxes, etc. I changed it to 4 people and chose the kids sail free and it's still $2858 before taxes. What am I missing?

The JCPenney analogy was correct. You can have the sale price or you can have the coupon price. You can't combine them...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app