Advice Needed on Excursions with Celebrity in Bermuda!

SunnyAJ

We are traveling to Bermuda in June and I'm debating on the choices of excursions that Celebrity offers. I know that we could be booking them independently, but since this will be our first time in Bermuda, I want an easy plan with someone to guide us.

My dilemma is for the first night, they are offering the Bermuda Triangle Nightlife Glassbottom Cruise and the Slip Away to Harbor Nights at almost the same time. I'd love to experience the Bermudian culture, but the Glassbottom Cruise seems like family fun (with 2 boys, 12 and 15). Help!

Also, is the Aquarium and Zoo Sightseeing Cruise worth it? Not sure if that is a must see, or will 2 active boys end up being bored?

We are also planning on Horseshoe Beach for snorkeling and then just spending some time at the Dockyard for sightseeing, lunch, shopping, etc. I think we have a nice mix without being too overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

My first piece of advice is to try to convince you not to overpay for cruise ship excursions when Bermuda is so easy to explore on your own. They have a transportation system of buses and ferries that can get you almost anywhere you'd want to go very inexpensively when you buy transportation passes or tickets.

There's no need to be guided for a glass bottom boat ride. Just book it one on your own.

To get to Harbour Nights, just take the 20 minute ferry ride from Dockyard to Hamilton. Couldn't be easier.

My guess is your children are at an age where they're likely to be bored with the trip to BAMZ (the aquarium and zoo). But if you want to go there, just take the ferry to Hamilton and then a #10 0r 11 bus to BAMZ on your own.

Horseshoe Bay is an easy bus ride (route # 7) from your ship's berth. There are even nonstop express buses in addition to the regularly scheduled departures.

Bermuda's not at all like one of the typical islands you may have visited in the past. It has an extensive public mass transit system. The residents are welcoming and friendly. They treat you like a guest, not an ATM to be milked for every dollar you have (although it is an expensive place to live or visit). You won't find people trying to sell you things on the street. The best way to enjoy it and meet the citizenry is to explore on your own.

Thank you njhorseman - that is good advice. The residents overwhelming me is always one reason why I hesitate to explore much on our own.

I was thinking the boys might be too old for the Aquarium and Zoo also, but it did look beautiful. I'm still torn about doing the Harbour Nights versus the Glass Bottom Boat. Such mixed reviews on the Glass Bottom Boat - as great as some reviews are, I keep reading about lawn chairs set up on the deck. Not sure how that would go over?!

Thanks again!

My kids were about that age when we did BAMZ and we all had a good time.

We also did a glass bottom boat ride and were disappointed in the coral. Not as colorful and pretty as I imagined.

Dont take ship tours, bermuda is so easy to go out on your own.

That's what I read about the views from the glass bottom boat...disappointing. But now I'm thinking maybe that I may try booking these things on our own. Then we'd eliminate being at the ship's restrictive timing as well. Thanks for the advice!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree about not doing the excursion...You'll save a lot of money by booking it on your own. It's not like the Bahamas where you'll be bombarded with people trying to sell you things. The public transportation system is so easy to use, and the ferry system is great.

The residents overwhelming me is always one reason why I hesitate to explore much on our own.

I see that your previous cruises have been in the Caribbean. Bermuda (and the people who live there)---very, very different. Very pleasant wandering around on your own.

Has anyone been to Harbour Nights and can recommend?

It does seem like the things we want to do should be easy enough to do on our own. Soooo...if you do take the ferry over for this, are there seats? Is it usually very crowded and/or can't get one when ready to leave? And is the stop easy to walk to from where the ships dock?

I'm still debating between that and the nighttime glass bottom cruise. THANKS TO ALL!

Has anyone been to Harbour Nights and can recommend?

It does seem like the things we want to do should be easy enough to do on our own. Soooo...if you do take the ferry over for this, are there seats? Is it usually very crowded and/or can't get one when ready to leave? And is the stop easy to walk to from where the ships dock?

I'm still debating between that and the nighttime glass bottom cruise. THANKS TO ALL!

I would say Harbour Nights is something worth doing once, so by all means check it out.

I'm sure the ferries will be crowded because they almost always are regardless, but typically they add extra ferry runs on Harbour Nights to accommodate the crowds. They only allow as many passengers on the ferry as there are seats.

The ferry dock is a very short walk from your ship.

Great - that actually makes me feel better about it. I like to have it planned out, especially when visiting a new place fore the first time. My family is really excited for our first Bermuda cruise vacation!

Hey Sunny,

You guys are going to have a great time. You have received wonderful advice; do not do a ship excursion in Bermuda. The transportation is so easy and plentiful. I can not stress enough how much different Bermuda is from the Bahamas and the Caribbean islands. In Bermuda, you get off the ship and there are no cheesy stores or people on the street bugging you. It is a very comfortable place for tourists.

We went to the zoo and aquarium; they are pretty nice for a couple of hours. Also, we did the cave which was nice as well. But, the beaches are just amazing.

Harbour nights in hamilton was just okay for us. It is festive with many people selling trinkets and such. I definitely recommend checking it out, as it is at night so you probably won't be at the beach or anything.

Restaurants and shops are very expensive; much more than we thought. Be careful about grabbing a cheap lunch; it won't be that cheap!!

We visited in 2010 nd are going again this summer; can't wait!!

Edited by dcguy9

We are traveling to Bermuda in June and I'm debating on the choices of excursions that Celebrity offers. I know that we could be booking them independently, but since this will be our first time in Bermuda, I want an easy plan with someone to guide us.

My dilemma is for the first night, they are offering the Bermuda Triangle Nightlife Glassbottom Cruise and the Slip Away to Harbor Nights at almost the same time. I'd love to experience the Bermudian culture, but the Glassbottom Cruise seems like family fun (with 2 boys, 12 and 15). Help!

Also, is the Aquarium and Zoo Sightseeing Cruise worth it? Not sure if that is a must see, or will 2 active boys end up being bored?

We are also planning on Horseshoe Beach for snorkeling and then just spending some time at the Dockyard for sightseeing, lunch, shopping, etc. I think we have a nice mix without being too overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I, too, would not do the ship excursion...it is a beautiful ride on the ferry to Hamilton or St.George's..it's like a sightseeing trip... it is that beautiful...My dh and I have gone to the zoo and aquarium( you get both for one price) twice just us and we both enjoyed it...just to throw something else out there because of the age of your children...we went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute in Hamilton and had 3 great hours there...I haven't heard any positive things about the glass bottom boats...if you swim at Tobacco Bay..the fish swim right up to you if you stand there..very cool...

Unfortunately, the Harbour Nights is only on Wednesday, same night as the glass bottom cruise. We have plans on the ship for Thursday night, so that rules out doing an activity that night.

I've briefly seen things about the Underwater exploration Institute - thanks for that recommendation! I'll have to check that out more. Sounds amazing about Tobacco Bay...looking forward to seeing the pink sand at Horseshoe Bay, but the boys do love seeing fish and want to try snorkeling, so I may have to fit that in.

Now I'm wondering...does anyone do the cruise excursions?!

Now I'm wondering...does anyone do the cruise excursions?!

People do them. I think because the cruise lines push their excursions, they have never been to Bermuda, and they don't know how easy and safe it is to do everything on your own. Even a guided general sightseeing tour is best done independently as a taxi tour, not by the cruise line excursions which use buses.

Edited by Charles4515

• 1 month later...
I did a ship excursion my first time out and never again. Research can save you a lot of money. I think Tortola would be my only exception for the Baths
In general, the only reason an experienced and somewhat adventurous traveler would do the ship's excursion is if they are concerned about getting back in time for the cruise departure. So if you're in Cozumel and doing the Tulim ruins, you probably don't want to do it on your own since it's a long trip and often gets back very close to departure time. Probably the same for the Baths in Tortola that you mentioned. We did the excursion to go to Disney World when we stopped in Port Canaveral last year because I didn't want to have to deal with a rental car and returning it and getting back to the ship in time.

That said, there are plenty of people (including many experienced cruisers) who don't want to have to deal with planning things themselves, or simply feel more comfortable with a cruise excursion because of safety or timing issues and always use the ship's excursions.

I have been to Bermuda 6 times but the most memorable thing we did was the night time glass bottom boat ride. We lucked out and had a beautiful star studded sky. They have large flood lights that light up the ocean and it was truly beautiful. We never buy ship excursions in Bermuda but we are taking our 8 year old grandaughter this time in June and plan on doing this excursion again. It was very well organized.