Smart Casual vs Formal

mcrcruiser

When I vacation I do prefer smart casual & the main reason is that I don't have to pack all those extra clothes;) .

Imo in time it will not be mandatory to dress formally on formal nights .I feel it should be of personal choice & not mandated by any cruise line .Vacation is for relaxation inho:)

What is your choice?

I am with you and renting a cheap tux is not formal!

Just dress nicely like you would do in a nice restaurant at home!

I loved the dress code on Oceania! County Club Casual! Same on SeaDram! Nobody was badly dressed, just comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My choice is to follow the published dress code for the cruise I'm on. If I didn't feel like dressing formal on a cruise with a formal dress code I'd go to an alternate dinner venue that didn't require it. Celebrity has several of those. Otherwise I would respect the cruise line's dress code, and my fellow passengers, by adhering to the published code.

Edited by Lsimon

My choice is to follow the published dress code for the cruise I'm on. If I didn't feel like dressing formal on a cruise with a formal dress code I'd go to an alternate dinner venue that didn't require it. Celebrity has several of those. Otherwise I would respect the cruise line's dress code, and my fellow passengers, by adhering to the published code.

I couldn't have said it any better. If you don't want to follow or respect the dress code, then sail on another cruise line that suits your style.

Exactly, there are enough options on board to satisfy anyone, be grateful, years ago you did not have that choice.

When I vacation I do prefer smart casual & the main reason is that I don't have to pack all those extra clothes;) .

Imo in time it will not be mandatory to dress formally on formal nights .I feel it should be of personal choice & not mandated by any cruise line .Vacation is for relaxation inho:)

What is your choice?

You would be happier to choose a cruise lines like Carnival, Costa, Disney, MSC, NCL or P&O these low end mass market cruise lines though good value for the money will not be a refined and elegant experience. Certainly you should not choose the top luxurious cruise lines like: Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Orion and Oceania. Even Celebrity might not meet your particular dress code needs.

I couldn't have said it any better. If you don't want to follow or respect the dress code, then sail on another cruise line that suits your style.

Pardon me it has nothing to do with respecting a dress code:eek: .The issue here is smart casual vs formal ;).There are many people going into formal night MDR definitely under dressed & Celebrity is NOT enforcing their so called code .We personally witnessed this happening with many people on the March 3rd & 9th 2014, b2b Silhouette Eastern & Western Caribbean .Seems to me even Celebrity has flexibility now:D

The discussion here is what a person prefers & not whether they should seek out a different cruise line :rolleyes:.

FWIW ,I do honor the dress code ;however ,I would prefer country casual my self & thus could save on that extra packing & weight, for a couple of dress up evenings ;).

You would be happier to choose a cruise lines like Carnival, Costa, Disney, MSC, NCL or P&O these low end mass market cruise lines though good value for the money will not be a refined and elegant experience. Certainly you should not choose the top luxurious cruise lines like: Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Orion and Oceania. Even Celebrity might not meet your particular dress code needs.

You do know that several of the lines you don't recommend to the OP have no formal nights, or they are optional, don't you? . :confused:

Is that right? Well FWIW Oceania has only country casual & no formal necessary :D. hope this helps

We have 62 cruise notched & at least 25 with Celebrity .what we have witnseed over recent cruises with Celeberity is a move toward country casual even on formal nights .See my post above;)

I would prefer country casual my self & thus could save on that extra packing & weight, for a couple of dress up evenings ;).

I'd prefer they let me eat at Murano without up charge & give me all my drinks free.

But that's not going to happen either... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I'd prefer they let me eat at Murano without up charge & give me all my drinks free.

But that's not going to happen either... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

ROTFLMAO :p:p:p how can you compare your oranges with apples ? Simply amazing:p

Thank you .your reply is reasonable & appreciated:D

Cunard has recently relaxed their dress code which was extremely strict . Seems to me there is a general move toward a more relaxed style of cruising ;but ,keeping the dress codes at least to country casual in many cases .;)

I just have to ask (never been on a cruise yet), what the hell is country casual :D

You should try one ,it is a great vacation ;but ,it is not for every one . Once you have tried a cruise ,you can then choose whether future cruising is for you or not .;)

Celebrity is a good start . Nice ships ,nice people & crew ,good food ,service & good entertainment basically for one total price :D. Yes there are extras you can vie for to make your experience even more illuminating:p

I am in a quandary.

I absolutely love dressing formal and so does DH.However health issues have made it extremely difficult for him to wear his tux anymore. Even a suit jacket has become almost impossible ¸

I have found a black cashmere cardi in which he is comfortable. It is casual, I admit. but with a bow tie , it doesn't look too laid back. HE wants to go to the MDR on formal evenings because he really enjoys seeing the "ladies" in their gowns and the guys in black tie. That's part of the enjoyment of a cruise for him.

So what to do? Go to the MDR (I , in my gown, of course) and he, in his cardi and black velvet slippers or go to the buffet? Other alternative venues, other than Bistro on 5, are not an option. My choice, as of now, is to let him have his enjoyable evening in the MDR. But will he be allowed in ? If not, he would be absolutely mortified. Is this something I should discuss with the Maitre d' the prior evening so as to avoid possible difficulties?

You should try one ,it is a great vacation ;but ,it is not for every one . Once you have tried a cruise ,you can then choose whether future cruising is for you or not .;)

Celebrity is a good start . Nice ships ,nice people & crew ,good food ,service & good entertainment basically for one total price :D. Yes there are extras you can vie for to make your experience even more illuminating:p

We are already booked for our first cruise in June on the summit :D

I am in a quandary.

I absolutely love dressing formal and so does DH.However health issues have made it extremely difficult for him to wear his tux anymore. Even a suit jacket has become almost impossible ¸

I have found a black cashmere cardi in which he is comfortable. It is casual, I admit. but with a bow tie , it doesn't look too laid back. HE wants to go to the MDR on formal evenings because he really enjoys seeing the "ladies" in their gowns and the guys in black tie. That's part of the enjoyment of a cruise for him.

So what to do? Go to the MDR (I , in my gown, of course) and he, in his cardi and black velvet slippers or go to the buffet? Other alternative venues, other than Bistro on 5, are not an option. My choice, as of now, is to let him have his enjoyable evening in the MDR. But will he be allowed in ? If not, he would be absolutely mortified. Is this something I should discuss with the Maitre d' the prior evening so as to avoid possible difficulties?

We have seen people close to what you describe in the MDR on formal night & there was no problems that we were aware ;).

If it makes you feel more comfortable check with the ass't Maître 'D who are at the entrance to the MDR :)

I think he means "country club casual", whatever that means. Perhaps something like this:

caddyshack-07.jpg

The Dalai Lama promised me total consciousness if I dressed formal...

...so I got that goin' for me! ;) :p :rolleyes:

I am surprised you say that about P and O as I found the formal nights on Celebrity to be far more casual, especially the men's dress, in the MDR on Equinox last year there were people in there who were in my opinion far too casual and they would have been turned away from the MDR on P and O and I have witnessed this being done on a few occasions