Oceana repairs

DolphinWatcher

Just had notification that Oceana needs repairs on the cruise that starts Saturday. Itinerary changed and 3 ports cancelled, but are docking in Barcelona for 3 days to allow repairs. A pain for those that have private trips / meeting friends and family, but I have to say I am impressed with P&O's handling of this. Free 2 day hop on / hop off sightseeing bus tickets, additional excursions and entertainment and a 25% refund. Looking forward to my 3 day Barcelona stay :)

We've just received the notification too. A little bit gutted about missing Sardinia but happy with the 25% refund. I presume we'll also be refunded the money paid for excursions on the cancelled ports?

Sarah and Hayley.

We've just received the notification too. A little bit gutted about missing Sardinia but happy with the 25% refund. I presume we'll also be refunded the money paid for excursions on the cancelled ports?

Sarah and Hayley.

That would be taken for granted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm a happy teddy too. Only booked it last week, paid the lowest saver fare....actually the lowest fare for any cruise we've been on. Didn't care where it was going just wanted a two week break to get away. Now getting 25% refund and the hop on hop off tickets happy days.

Hardydog

Does that mean that as oceana is in port of Spain for 3 days, they will still put 10% on everything you buy on board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that this morning too. I suspect it does. Might have to stock up on some drinks in Gibraltar...

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from this cruise on the Oceana. The itinerary was changed. We had a day in Gibraltar, Monte Carlo, Livorno (for Florence or Pisa) and then three days in Barcelona.

It was fantastic. P+O gave a 25% refund on your booking amount and two days of Tourist bus tickets in Barca worth about 70 euros. My refund cheque was waiting for me when I returned home yesterday. There were a few complainers on board who wanted more refund for their holiday being 'disrupted'!!!!. Oh.. room, full board, free travel in Barca, with great surrounding, beaches culture and nightlife;- +25% off the cost of your complete holiday.... is just not enough compensation some cried. Well I had a ball. Well done P+O I say.

Hardydog if it suited you and you enjoyed it that's brilliant but perhaps some of the others on the cruise were particularly looking forward to visiting somewhere else. I know that if it were me I would have transferred to another cruise or asked for a refund as I have visited all these ports several times before and though I like most of these ports I would be looking to see somewhere new. Though if they objected so much why didn't they do as I would have done?

Edited by AchileLauro

If I had wanted four days in Barcelona I would have gone with Easyjet. The itinerary was substantially changed and because we only found out about the changes two days before we sailed there was very little we could do about it. Even though I had paid a Select Fare there was no indication given by P&O in their email that I could cancel or even change the voyage. I am sure that P&O could have let us know about the changes earlier because it would have taken them some time to arrange for the repairs to be made in Barcelona. Its not something you decide to do overnight. I know that in their booking literature they say that they are at liberty to change the itinerary in an emergency - this was not an emergency - it was a decision by the company to disrupt our cruise in order that they did not have to take a ship out of commission, which would have cost them more than the 25% fare reduction that they offered to their passengers. I think the cruise companies do employ some 'Unfair Booking Conditions' as a whole and especially on British passengers. Would Carnival Corp. got away with this in the USA - I think not.

Mostonian having had my last two cruises altered at short or no notice whatsoever and having had another cruise cancelled I appreciate what you say about the terms and conditions very much favouring the cruise line. I also appreciate how difficult it is to change arrangements at short notice especially where work is involved. Like you say if you wanted four days in Barcelona Easy Jet probably would have been a better bet. I've cruised on and off for many years because I want to visit different places not to sit in port.

Edited by AchileLauro